What changes would you like to see in OpenTTD?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: What changes would you like to see in OpenTTD?

Post by leifbk »

Pyoro wrote:Also, another comment on day length: original OTTD speed made some sense for a 256x256 map played from 1920-2050. It makes absolutely zero sense for a 1024xwhatever map or even larger maps. With more and more complex GRFs to use on top of that. Sanely playing with a bunch of GRFs in normal speed on a huge map will get you almost nowhere. Either you pause all the time (boring) or ignore half the map (pointless) or play kinda carelessly, just slapping down everything (unsatisfying).

So obviously people look for ways around that. Daylength is just the most obvious solution.
ino wrote:
Ailure wrote:slows down the game economy somewhat (when production per month is unchanged but more ticks per day is added
I believe this was the intention from the start? IIRC there was a patch that does not do this, but it was not preferred by community. I also prefer to slow down the economy too.
So, there are at least two major advantages with a slowed-down game:

1. You have more time for development. Even if I start in the early 18th century and keep going until about 2100, I never manage to connect everything on a 512x512 map with 60% water.

2. The reduced industry output should make it possible to handle eg. current FIRS industry output with horse carts, which really doesn't work in vanilla OTTD for more than about 100 cargo units per month on a dedicated road. It worked quite well in FIRS 1.x, but in 2.x and now 3.x the output has been cranked up so horse transport isn't much fun anymore.

I've never played with patched versions of OTTD, but this is starting to sound very interesting.
lcd_47
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lcd_47 »

leifbk wrote:2. The reduced industry output should make it possible to handle eg. current FIRS industry output with horse carts, which really doesn't work in vanilla OTTD for more than about 100 cargo units per month on a dedicated road. It worked quite well in FIRS 1.x, but in 2.x and now 3.x the output has been cranked up so horse transport isn't much fun anymore.
Tangentially related: there was an old NewGRF named "Smaller Mines" that could keep production of primary industries from exploding. If I recall correctly it doesn't work with FIRS (and I haven't looked at the code to find out why), but I think many people would find it useful. Perhaps somebody familiar with the NML jungle could bring it up to date.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

lcd_47 wrote:Tangentially related: there was an old NewGRF named "Smaller Mines" that could keep production of primary industries from exploding. If I recall correctly it doesn't work with FIRS (and I haven't looked at the code to find out why), but I think many people would find it useful. Perhaps somebody familiar with the NML jungle could bring it up to date.
This goes a bit off topic, but here's why:
Smaller Mines does not modify the default industries on how the mines produce their products. Rather, they are defined as new industries, replacing the default industries. If you want to see the similar behavior in other industries including OpenGFX+ Industries, you will need to modify the source code yourself and compile your own version of such industry set.
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

I always hope that new projects see the light of day and achieve a release -status, since I love OpenTTD for it's possibility to freely choose your own setting, and popular themes.
I want to play with good:
  • Road vehicles (with multiple) sets;
    Rail vehicles (with multiple) sets;
    A playable set of Airplanes;
    Ships for the need.
A NewGRF could contain early starting years, with 1860 or so as the start of the game;
Many buildings for cities in a city -package would be just amazing!
I know many things are in the pipeline, so to speak, continue with all the beautiful things you're working at,

Even 10 years from now I search new parts for, generally speaking, a new game.
With a lot respect for the NewGRF- and game -developers,

rbos86.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

It's a general desire, I'm quite much into OpenTTD already 8) .

But I like to have said that good newGRFs makes improved gameplay, indeed! :bow:
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
ic111
Director
Director

Post by ic111 »

lcd_47 wrote: Tangentially related: there was an old NewGRF named "Smaller Mines" that could keep production of primary industries from exploding. If I recall correctly it doesn't work with FIRS (and I haven't looked at the code to find out why), but I think many people would find it useful. Perhaps somebody familiar with the NML jungle could bring it up to date.
IMHO, controlling such things using an optional factor the player can define on top of what the NewGRFs provide would be best. NewGRFs developers just have limited knowledge about which other NewGRFs players (might) use, so IMHO problems resulting of assembling different NewGRFs that just aren't scaled in a way such that they fit together well should be solvable on the level of the game settings. Furthermore, this would avoid the problem, that NewGRFs and their parameter cannot be changed in-game --- but in a single-player-game, I sometimes do want to adjust things in-game, if I realize that something isn't scaled well.

Specifically, in terms of code, I see two locations where such a factor would make sense:
(1) Amount of cargo produced
(2) Frequency in which cargo packets are generated

(1) is limited to dividing by about a factor four (due to integer division) in my experience, so if more production reduction is desired, one would need to do (2) I assume.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

i) Eliminating limit of oil refinery capacity or at least making the maximum yield optional -- all the other industries have endlessly increasing yields whereas refineries don't -- pairing refineries together doesn't increase output either.

ii) Note fields added to each numbered line in the timetable panel -- drawing instead upon the speed limit fields don't always make for satisfactory substitutes;

iii) reactivating the signal conversion button;

iv) truly suppressing either constructed or newly opened industries notifications from cluttering the message history panel;

v) canal tunnels; lastly (for now, thank you!),

vi) signal placements inside tunnels.
AntoninKyrene
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AntoninKyrene »

Something I've always envisioned...maybe when I retire and can spend more time learning how to code.

Take OpenTTD and blend all three "seasons" (temperate / tropical / arctic) into one biosphere based upon elevation, distance from coast, and maybe other factors. Bring the industries along, too. Obviously, this is for big maps fans, but it would be cool. Methinks this would require an entire rewrite from scratch, but what better way to start the OpenTTD v2 path.

And now for something perhaps more realistic...

I would like to see Infrastructure Sharing without a patch. Simulating the relationship between home and foreign powers and their resources is a different way to play single-player OpenTTD.

-Marc
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

AntoninKyrene wrote:Something I've always envisioned...maybe when I retire and can spend more time learning how to code.

Take OpenTTD and blend all three "seasons" (temperate / tropical / arctic) into one biosphere based upon elevation, distance from coast, and maybe other factors. Bring the industries along, too. Obviously, this is for big maps fans, but it would be cool. Methinks this would require an entire rewrite from scratch, but what better way to start the OpenTTD v2 path.
I hacked up something awful starting to approach this once, but never pursued it further: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=48851 Definitely doable, if not exactly the smallest of efforts; you would/should also be designing and implementing a decent NewGRF interface for custom terrain types then, including scenario editor terrain painting support, so you could end up with something kind of like this: ImageNotably, that game is now 19 years old (only 3 years younger than TTD!) and IMO still the most beautiful "transportation tycoon" game ever. Soundtrack is amazing too. If only the developers had put the same effort into train and station management features, and train physics that actually make sense - that's where OpenTTD really shines - but I digress.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Climates don't really make sense with NewGRF supposed anymore anyway, as demonstrated for example by the Japanese GRFs (OR it could be that NewGRFs can define new climates, so that you get a 5th choice if you load Japanese GRF, for example...). It'd be nice to rework that entire thing but I'd suspect that'd be a monumental sort of task.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I imagine the climates would just become presets for latitude, weather conditions and so on by default, which can then be manually altered by the player. Or you have, to some degree, fixed presets for the regular climates and turn Toyland into the universal option by default. Either way, NewGRF-defined climates wouldn't be necessary.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Playing a game with all climates mixed in I think would be great.

I think when start a new game in the World Generation remove Sub-arctic and sub-tropical and just have two buttons Temperate (but give it another name) and Toyland.

Under these buttons add a few more selections "Temperate, Sub-Arctic and Sub-Tropical" and you tick the appropriate buttons if you want 1, 2 or all 3 climates in with your game.

The other buttons to select "Maximum map height:, "Snow line height:", "Terrain Type:" Sea Level etc are already there.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Gord
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Gord »

It's hard to say because the developers come up with ideas for the game that I wouldn't have thought of but turn out to be something that really enhances the game. So I guess I would like to continue being surprised by the imaginations and skills of coders/graphic artists etc.

I think, if pushed,the one extra feature I personally would find useful would be to drag and drop objects so I can make more use of ones such as Dutch Highways. But that's probably nowhere near the top of many people's wishlists.
thegreatpl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thegreatpl »

• Tags on multiplayer. I tend to prefer to build a network, not achieve some goal, and it gets annoying to wade through the tons of goal servers to find one I want. Some sort of tagging and filtering system would work wonderfully there. Filtering on Not tag and has tag. Tagging could either be fixed taggs, or anything they want to type. Goal, cargodist, noair
  • Infrastructure Sharing. Unlikely, but cool idea which I'd love.
  • More Companies. In theory, it should be easy to do when I glanced at the code, but you just know someone somewhere has hardcoded 15 instead of using the colours system that seemed to denote how many companies should be available.
  • Authority Owned Airports/Ports/ect. Can't currently be done via gamescripts last I checked, since only roads let you build council owned, but that is how they should be built. Needs a fix for transfers paying to the right company first though since they currently don't work properly, paying only the company who took the last hop.
  • Fix for the transfer bug relating to oil rigs. When goods get transferred at oil rigs, and picked up by a different company, the different company gets all the money. Fix this, and the above is now possible.
  • Authority owned vehicles. Because eye candy cars without taking up a company slot, that is why. Also; municipal bus networks.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'd love to suggest things, but sadly over the nearly 10 years I've been here, I've realised nothing I and many others say is actually done in trunk! It's left to patch devs to do instead, no matter how amazing the suggestion is and maybe five years later it's done in trunk.

If anything I'd like to see that change and more things done in trunk that most people love,stop worrying about about back compatibility so much as it's stifling further developments and improvements it seems.

Edit: christ, not nearly ten years, twelve years!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Redirect Left wrote:If anything I'd like to see that change and more things done in trunk that most people love,stop worrying about about back compatibility so much as it's stifling further developments and improvements it seems.
Nobody's stopping you :) All you have to do is earn commit rights, and make the changes. There is literally nobody holding you back :)
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

So, who knows a quick way to learn C++? (Or at least, that's what I think it is)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

andythenorth wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:If anything I'd like to see that change and more things done in trunk that most people love,stop worrying about about back compatibility so much as it's stifling further developments and improvements it seems.
Nobody's stopping you :) All you have to do is earn commit rights, and make the changes. There is literally nobody holding you back :)
That isn't how any serious development works, you can't just decide you want to do something, and every one (the other devs) goes "yes, do it!". I'm involved in a few developing things, and i'd be seriously concerned for the integrity of openttd if that is how the dev cycle works.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Create your own fork and then break the ever-loving snot out of backwards compatibility. :)

I'm serious, too. I think OpenTTD has matured to a point where we can freeze backward compatibility with 1.7.x and from here on out start ripping and changing code to make OpenTTD not just a clone of an old game, but become more of its own game.

Return to “General OpenTTD”