[OTTD] The Vactrain Set

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: [OTTD] Vacuum Tube Train (Vactrain) Set

Post by kamnet »

Just don't rip up a bunch of stuff at once. Yeah, it takes more time, but patience pays off. Or, build bridges over the crossings. Vactrains can handle it ;)
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

Bridge is slow and tunnel is expensive.
Also level crossing isn't dangerous if you use no road vehicles.
Sent from my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ir1n1o57 wrote:Bridge is slow
Solution:
Emperor Jake wrote:Increase speed of Tubular-Silicon bridge to something really fast. *Use the "Brianum: Speed limit for bridges" GRF on Bananas for this.
ir1n1o57 wrote:and tunnel is expensive.
As it should be. This is not an inexpensive track set, by design.
ir1n1o57 wrote:Also level crossing isn't dangerous if you use no road vehicles.
a. How do you have a level crossing with an enclosed, pressurized tube?
b. You're not using road vehicles? Then you don't need a level crossing for vehicles that don't exist. Problem solved.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

kamnet wrote:
ir1n1o57 wrote:Bridge is slow
Solution:
Emperor Jake wrote:Increase speed of Tubular-Silicon bridge to something really fast. *Use the "Brianum: Speed limit for bridges" GRF on Bananas for this.
ir1n1o57 wrote:and tunnel is expensive.
As it should be. This is not an inexpensive track set, by design.
ir1n1o57 wrote:Also level crossing isn't dangerous if you use no road vehicles.
a. How do you have a level crossing with an enclosed, pressurized tube?
b. You're not using road vehicles? Then you don't need a level crossing for vehicles that don't exist. Problem solved.
Aside from that, road tunnels would be far less expensive than VacTrain tunnels. And road bridges are considerably easier on the speed of road vehicles than VacTrains.

EDIT: Yes, get the Brainum Bridge for the VacTrain. If you don't have JGR's Patch Pack (which has the chunnel patch), you cannot do without it for VacTrains because underwater tunnels are not possible.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

The long-awaited major update to the Vactrain Set has been worked on in the background for the past few years, and it is almost complete! Stay tuned...
Attachments
vactrain-tease.PNG
vactrain-tease.PNG (19.62 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Whoa ! 3 french trains ! Love you, man.
Leave also some for the countries where i come from, Switzerland (done) and Russia (done too) :twisted:
But i think the VacTrains shouldn't carry every cargo, they should be limited to passengers, tourists (if ECS enabled), mail, goods, vehicles and food. Freight already has a lot of value compared to pax (passengers, tourists and mail) and companies would make abusive use of VacTrains for freight. Maybe make them almost useless, like 20 or 25t per wagon.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

acs121 wrote:But i think the VacTrains shouldn't carry every cargo, they should be limited to passengers, tourists (if ECS enabled), mail, goods, vehicles and food. Freight already has a lot of value compared to pax (passengers, tourists and mail) and companies would make abusive use of VacTrains for freight. Maybe make them almost useless, like 20 or 25t per wagon.
There will be a parameter to disable the cargo trains if you don't want them :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Emperor Jake wrote:
acs121 wrote:But i think the VacTrains shouldn't carry every cargo, they should be limited to passengers, tourists (if ECS enabled), mail, goods, vehicles and food. Freight already has a lot of value compared to pax (passengers, tourists and mail) and companies would make abusive use of VacTrains for freight. Maybe make them almost useless, like 20 or 25t per wagon.
There will be a parameter to disable the cargo trains if you don't want them :)
It's not to not have them, this parameter prevents players from being free. Just reduce the capacities, because once most companies become a "I-have-too-much-money-to-spend-so-i-spend-it-on-useless-things" company, they'll just use abusively VacTrains.

This apart, the Swissmetro was rather a Maglev project. However, a similar project, which was a VacTrain project, the Eurométro, would be it. It's rather french and swiss, but no one cares.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

It's great to see another update coming forth, really looking forward playing with some new vactrains :D

On a site note, do you based the trains on any real models/ideas, as you assigned the trains to certain national companies? Or are they purely fictive?

I am asking, because the names of the trains, I'm referring here mostly to Japanese and Chinese (/Russian/Indian), seem a little bit strange to me.

An example:
You named the Japanese Vactrain Shinkūkan, but the word shinkūkan refers to vacuum tubes, the ones used in old computers, but not to a vactrain tube. Vactrain means in Japanese "shinkū chūbu ressha" (vacuum tube train), so I guess here lies the confusion.
May I suggest other names?
1. "kūchū" might be a legit acronym, as this was used in the fictive vactrain "kūchū dangan ressha" (airy hyper fast train) in an old science fiction manga by Shigeru Komatsuzaki (search the internet for 空中弾丸列車)
2. why not use a naming scheme like shinkansen, which means "new trunk line"? a possible name might be "shinkūsen" (vacuum line) or "kūchūsen" (airy line)

Second, why refer to Chinese, Russian and Indian vactrain as "Silk Dragon"?
First, the silk route doesn't go through either Russia, nor India ...
If you imagined a Chinese vactrain would be build and run by Russia or India, why is that?

I don't want to be overly critical, as this is just about naming or assigning certain flags to certain trains, so do as you like. This is just my two cents :wink:
Last edited by Kruemelchen on 28 Jan 2018 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Kruemelchen wrote: On a site note, do you based the trains on any real models/ideas, as you assigned the trains to certain national companies? Or are they purely fictive?
The trains are mostly fictional, although some (such as the Swissmetro, which was a proposed maglev in a partial vacuum) are based on real concepts.

As for the names:
For the Japanese one, I just plugged variations of vactrain into google translate until it spat out something that sounded good. I like your "shinkūsen" suggestion, I'll probably change it to that

For the "Silk Dragon" trains, they originally all had Chinese flags as they were from the Chinese vactrain family, but I wanted to give other countries some representation so I changed them to places the Chinese international vactrain network would likely expand into. I'm open to better name suggestions though :)
acs121 wrote: It's not to not have them, this parameter prevents players from being free. Just reduce the capacities, because once most companies become a "I-have-too-much-money-to-spend-so-i-spend-it-on-useless-things" company, they'll just use abusively VacTrains.
Maybe wait to try the set before making game balance suggestions, there have been a few major changes that will completely change how vactrains are used compared to the old version :wink:
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Kruemelchen wrote:It's great to see another update coming forth, really looking forward playing with some new vactrains :D

On a site note, do you based the trains on any real models/ideas, as you assigned the trains to certain national companies? Or are they purely fictive?

I am asking, because the names of the trains, I'm referring here mostly to Japanese and Chinese (/Russian/Indian), seem a little bit strange to me.

An example:
You named the Japanese Vactrain Shinkūkan, but the word shinkūkan refers to vacuum tubes, the ones used in old computers, but not to a vactrain tube. Vactrain means in Japanese "shinkū chūbu ressha" (vacuum tube train), so I guess here lies the confusion.
May I suggest other names?
1. "kūchū" might be a legit acronym, as this was used in the fictive vactrain "kūchū dangan ressha" (airy hyper fast train) in an old science fiction manga by Shigeru Komatsuzaki (search the internet for 空中弾丸列車)
2. why not use a naming scheme like shinkansen, which means "new trunk line"? a possible name might be "shinkūsen" (vacuum line) or "kūchūsen" (airy line)

Second, why refer to Chinese, Russian and Indian vactrain as "Silk Dragon"?
First, the silk route doesn't go through either Russia, nor India ...
If you imagined a Chinese vactrain would be build and run by Russia or India, why is that?

I don't want to be overly critical, as this is just about naming or assigning certain flags to certain trains, so do as you like. This is just my two cents :wink:
The "New Silk Route" does pass by Russia for the land one, and the maritime one goes by India. Where's the problem ?
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

acs121 wrote:The "New Silk Route" does pass by Russia for the land one, and the maritime one goes by India. Where's the problem ?
Ah, of course, the New Silk Road! :D
I guess I was confused since I wasn't aware of any proposed joint ventures or train connection to India. I guess this is up to this set changing that :D
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Kruemelchen wrote:
acs121 wrote:The "New Silk Route" does pass by Russia for the land one, and the maritime one goes by India. Where's the problem ?
Ah, of course, the New Silk Road! :D
I guess I was confused since I wasn't aware of any proposed joint ventures or train connection to India. I guess this is up to this set changing that :D
Don't worry, there's always confusion between the historical and new one.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38666854 , Just thought I would post this article , I did not know about the different rail gauges .The Uk train had a much better cargo ..... https://qz.com/955455/new-silk-roads-fr ... irst-time/
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Much, much systems in the world have different gauges than us europeans and americans.
Toronto metro and tramway, for example, is 1495mm instead of 1435.

Luckily, UK didn't choose another gauge than 1435mm. That way, since 1994, and creation of the Eurostar and Eurotunnel services, the United Kingdom is no more an island. Also, i don't understand why a tunnel between Spain and Morocco has not being projected yet. Highspeed trains' gauge in Spain is 1435mm, and in Morocco all trains are in 1435mm. It would then allow communication easier between North Africa and Europe, to me.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Nice to see that you're finally ready to showcase the latest version of vactrains.
As for the Silk Dragon problem. My solution would be to have a chinese name for the Chinese one, much like the Shinkusen. My ideas for the Chinese train are Konglong, Juanlong, Fenglong or Sulong, which are vacuum dragon, silk dragon, wind dragon and speed dragon. Which is much like the Chinese maglev train "Linglong", jade dragon.

Also for the Russian, have it's name be like Derbnyk, which is a falcon species native to Russia. In theme with Russia's other high speed trains.

But as I can't think of an alternative for the Indian, I'd say have that as "Silk Dragon".

Also I like these designs a lot. Not that big of a fan of the TSV Duplex but besides that, very nice indeed.

PS: It's Hyperloop one's XP1 though, not P1.

EDIT: It's interesting that you gave no love to South Korea. Especially after they completely destroyed their maglev programme in favour of hyperloop.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

You guys aware that a full scale test loop is built in Dubai, so maybe make a UEA train set? Also, need to credit Elon Musk, so a train set should carry his name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

skippern wrote:Also, need to credit Elon Musk, ...
Why should Elon Musk be credited? It's not like he invented it...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Erato wrote:Nice to see that you're finally ready to showcase the latest version of vactrains.
As for the Silk Dragon problem. My solution would be to have a chinese name for the Chinese one, much like the Shinkusen. My ideas for the Chinese train are Konglong, Juanlong, Fenglong or Sulong, which are vacuum dragon, silk dragon, wind dragon and speed dragon. Which is much like the Chinese maglev train "Linglong", jade dragon.

Also for the Russian, have it's name be like Derbnyk, which is a falcon species native to Russia. In theme with Russia's other high speed trains.

But as I can't think of an alternative for the Indian, I'd say have that as "Silk Dragon".

Also I like these designs a lot. Not that big of a fan of the TSV Duplex but besides that, very nice indeed.

PS: It's Hyperloop one's XP1 though, not P1.

EDIT: It's interesting that you gave no love to South Korea. Especially after they completely destroyed their maglev programme in favour of hyperloop.
The Train-Sous-Vide (sorry, it's french) is based on the TGV, which can be seen in France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Spain (no kidding, there really are TGVs between Paris and Barcelona). Because it is based on the TGV, which has two versions, the single decker one (Sud-Est, Atlantique and Réseau) and the double decker one (called Duplex), it has to be in those two versions.

For South Korea it's true there's nothing. It's nice to see every country represented, mostly under-represented ones, like Brazil or India. Yes, i know that my country doesn't even have a trainset - but i'm starting it, do not worry ;)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Regarding the Hyperloop:

The Hyperloop vehicle in the set isn't meant to represent any specific Hyperloop vehicle, it's a token representation of all upcoming Hyperloop systems. Its stats have been boosted compared to Erato's XP1 so that it makes sense as an early vehicle within the context of the Vactrain set. It wouldn't benefit the set to flood the purchase list with a dozen similar hyperloops just to give more countries recognition.

As actual Hyperloop systems become prevalent all over the world, there might be a set to showcase the real life or proposed vehicles for Canada, UAE, Korea etc. (I didn't even know about Korea's hyperloop plans) It might even be beneficial to separate Hyperloop into its own railtype distinct from Vactrain, especially since the new set allows for interoperability with maglev.
Erato wrote:My solution would be to have a chinese name for the Chinese one, much like the Shinkusen. My ideas for the Chinese train are Konglong, Juanlong, Fenglong or Sulong, which are vacuum dragon, silk dragon, wind dragon and speed dragon. Which is much like the Chinese maglev train "Linglong", jade dragon.
Thanks for the suggestion for the Chinese names, I'll probably use one of those.

EDIT: I've tweaked the names, come check out the beta release :D

Return to “Graphics Releases”