The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Drury »

ALEXbr wrote:some people say that our actual exams are too easy compared to the ones in the Communism
Ah I remember those teachers. Them old whiny toads.

Can't omit the king himself, the gymnasium maths teacher who was close to retirement so half the time he didn't teach anything just rant about how everything is crap now, like the school is easier, people have no jobs, we don't celebrate labor day anymore, how a comedian should be put in the joint for making fun of communism, which was so much better and didn't have any of the problems of the modern age.

Thanks to his amazing communist teaching technique, we barely learned any math at school.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Pyoro wrote:We had some that were of course recorded in perfect Oxford-English; everything pronounced perfectly clearly
Oh yes, one does indeed talk like that, as well as one indeed knows the Queen :lol: Yeah, none of us actually speak like that, even the presenters on BBC Sport are putting it on.
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Pilot wrote:
Pyoro wrote:We had some that were of course recorded in perfect Oxford-English; everything pronounced perfectly clearly
Oh yes, one does indeed talk like that, as well as one indeed knows the Queen :lol: Yeah, none of us actually speak like that, even the presenters on BBC Sport are putting it on.
I dunno I think you might be surprised. Obviously I don't speak the Queen's English and my accent isn't as posh as the BBC English (eg. traaarrnsport instead of transport, Glaaarrsgow not Glasgow and s-cone not skon (scone)) but I imagine it would be fairly similar to what you refer to as Oxford English, and is pretty much how everyone speaks where I am from.

Of course not every English person you meet is going to be from the south east but imagine how confused you'd be if you learned English in a Geordie accent!
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I know. I also know plenty of Germans that speak perfect "Hochdeutsch" (sounds incredibly obnoxious to me), so it's not like it's just a "fantasy" thing they are doing.
Same for example for Japanese; I mean, I learned my pronunciation through anime and I always thought, well, heck, that's gotta be artificially "clean"! But walking around in Tokyo I didn't even notice I small difference or anything, it's exactly like that (they do have dialects elsewhere though ^^).

And English - well, I was for example over for a highschool exchange thing in Phoenix, Arizona, and the people there, sure, once they knew you were German they slowed down a bit and that sort of thing, but they are perfectly fine to understand. Might have been different in less "posh neighborhood" or something but largely it really was no big deal. Would have expected more US drawl to be honest. ^^

Anyway I haven't managed to get rid of my Swabian dialect so if you're not a native German Swabian you probably won't understand me :mrgreen:
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Scottish English is purity itself.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Drury wrote:Scottish English is purity itself.
The Scottish Accent is a lovely accent when listening to it, but when you're trying to understand what is being said, it can be rather difficult! My Great-Grandparents were Scottish, and they were difficult to understand at times, as were many other members of my family.

It's also rather interesting on a phone call with a poor mobile signal!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Of course, Scotland, like England, has many different accents. A Glaswegian accent and an Orcadian accent are two entirely different things, for instance.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Except heavy Glaswegian accents, I can understand them all.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

During the Swedish summer, national radio channel P1 airs a show every day with a new guest host. They basically host a 90 minute radio show where they basically speak. A monologue, mixed with music.

Former coach Roy Hodgson hosted his "Summer in P1" show today. In Swedish. Very impressive. He coached a couple clubs here in the 1980s, but left 27 years ago. I would not remember a language that far later.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:Former coach Roy Hodgson hosted his "Summer in P1" show today. In Swedish.
Swedish isn't the only language Roy is apparently fluent in. He's also fluent in Norwegian, German and Italian according to the 10th Paragraph of this Daily Mail article. Though the article does also then go on to say he only speaks a smattering of German, straight after saying he is fluent in it, British Journalism at it's best...
donchatryit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by donchatryit »

So it's been a while since I was here. OpenTTD is even more addictive than ever.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

donchatryit wrote:So it's been a while since I was here. OpenTTD is even more addictive than ever.
I know that feel. :mrgreen:
There is an old post somewhere in the depths of the forums where I stated that I'd probably die sooner then have Owen delete my account or just stop visiting. And well, here we are 13 years since my initial subscription. Not as active as I used to but I never forget about good ol' tt-forums.net. :D

All the memories and nostalgia. You're lucky I'm not around at meetings. I might sound like some old fart reminiscing about the past. :P
Sometimes I even remember that I also helped drawing stuff for OTTD (the transmitter! :lol: ).
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hey Mr. X, great to see you! Don't worry, you're not the only old fart here. ;)
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

I hacked a price scanner like this Image
by simply scanning with it a QR code :P
It showed some code with courier new instead "Scan your product"
ⒶALEX
My screenshots (OpenTTD); what should I do? Also, AltSFX!
I❤️OTTD
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

That is very random indeed.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

So what color is that alluring eye shadow?
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Good lord, you guys are all still here?
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Where else would we be?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Fair point. How is everyone?
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Dead.

Return to “Off-Topic”