What size maps do you play, and other questions

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

What size maps do you play, and other questions

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm thinking of creating a batch of scenerios for slapping on BaNaNaS, but to make things of use and relevance. I need to check a few things.

What size maps do people actually generally play at? I found an old poll here from 2006, but i think map sizes have gotten bigger since then.

So my question to people reading this, what is your go-to size for maps, and do you actually play scenarios at all, or just randomly generate maps and get to it? Anything you look for in scenarios, aesthetics, a challenge, or just something new to work with?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: What size maps do you play, and other questions

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I have usually played 1024x2048 since I got my current computer.
Smaller maps for experimental purposes but haven't really tried many options.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

256x256, 256x512, 512x512, or 1024x512. Or some other size that gives similar tile counts. Or any size that's offered on servers.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

Mostly I play 64x64, 128x64, 256x64 or 128x128, seldom 256x256 or 128x512.

Tschö, Auge
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

My current game is 2048*2048, rarely play smaller maps nowadays as I end up filling them up too easily, whilst my current game has lasted several years so far.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

My latest is 512x256. It's a size I'm quite happy with. I'll probably finish the game by the end of this year, unlike my last (1024x1024) which took, what, 5 years? xD

There's is no rush ;)
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

I like my current map, which starts in the year 1900, it's 2048x2048 in size. I'm not going higher than that, my computer is getting slower if I increase my map size. Always like new stuff, but play much with the idea of the game since 1995. Mainly developing my cities.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Redirect Left wrote:what is your go-to size for maps, and do you actually play scenarios at all, or just randomly generate maps and get to it? Anything you look for in scenarios, aesthetics, a challenge, or just something new to work with?
Something along the size of 512x512, sometimes in various weird shapes, like 1024x128 :)

I generally don't play scenarios, for two reasons
  1. Scenarios is one big pile of unstructured mess, you can't read about them, can't look at what they offer, etc.
  2. Most scenarios I run into seem to be based on real-life countries or continents, which is not my playing style.
I would look for a challenge mostly in industrial cargo transport. There is a Freight challenge scenario that's nice.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Cheers for your replies so far.

I'm genuinely surprised at the size of maps people tend to play, a lot smaller than i expected. I thought OpenTTD and some patches like JGRs patchpack had increased map size to obscene levels because there was demand for it, but here it seems people stick to an average of around 1024 x 1024.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

My UK game is 4096x4096 and was based off a heightmap. I wouldn't play a fictional map that big but I like the space when re-creating real life areas.

I'd play pre-set scenarios if the GRFs were right. I like using heightmaps as I can choose the GRF sets I want. I don't like how the map generator doesn't create realistic valleys so I typically go with a heightmap.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

I prefer larger maps, I'm currently playing a 1024*2 map, but that's only because it was started on an old laptop with limited resources.
My next game will likely be 4096*2. I also always use a patchpack.
With a faster PC with more memory I'd like to try 8k*2.

I never use scenario's, as I want my choice of newGRF's. I know this isn't any help to you, but I thought I'd just let you know some people like larger maps.

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

generated 512*512 because I'm a filthy casual

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I tend to play 2k*2k, because it's big enough to let myself go crazy, have competition, but also be somewhat handled by my less than ideal laptop.
CRITAWAKETS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CRITAWAKETS »

Depends. Usually 2048x2048 or if im hosting a public server, 4092x4092 unless not much people are on the server.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

My last few games have been 512x512.
lcd_47
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lcd_47 »

Mostly 512x512 or smaller. For my playing style small maps tend to lead to more interesting games than bigger ones.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

lcd_47 wrote:Mostly 512x512 or smaller. For my playing style small maps tend to lead to more interesting games than bigger ones.
Same here. For auto-generated maps, there's far too much self-similarity in larger map sizes, so it quickly feels like just more of the same. Even with Extreme FIRS, there's more than enough space on a 512 by 512 map (with 60% water) to get at least one industry chain of each kind going, and that is exactly what I find interesting. I seldom run more than one oil refinery, for instance.

There are never too many forests, though ;)
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

I almost always generate the hugest map the game will let me, but I gotta confess the only reason I do so is to maximise the odds of it having promising region(s) to play in. In practice my actual play area is generally 512x512 or so, but on a huge map I might choose to develop several areas in parallel. Also, by generating a huge map I never have to worry about hitting the map edges save by choice.

[Edit] As far as what I've found interesting, do you know I think the most fun have been the 'rescuing Baldy's Boss' ailing companies' scenarios? Those were a challenge, and it was interesting to see what a variety of pickles the game AIs got themselves into before Baldy bought them out. I've still some Gondborough Transport saves somewhere, I think.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Simons Mith wrote:I almost always generate the hugest map the game will let me, but I gotta confess the only reason I do so is to maximise the odds of it having promising region(s) to play in. In practice my actual play area is generally 512x512 or so, but on a huge map I might choose to develop several areas in parallel. Also, by generating a huge map I never have to worry about hitting the map edges save by choice.

[Edit] As far as what I've found interesting, do you know I think the most fun have been the 'rescuing Baldy's Boss' ailing companies' scenarios? Those were a challenge, and it was interesting to see what a variety of pickles the game AIs got themselves into before Baldy bought them out. I've still some Gondborough Transport saves somewhere, I think.
Thanks for that!
Your advice on these is very welcome:
Attachments
GreenVictoryRailroad,1stJan2011.sav
(585.07 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
TillydeanGrandVictorianR.R.,25thAug1949.sav
(3.89 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
BetstonBlueRailroadCompany,19thDec1987.sav
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 49 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”