Renting a OpenTTD Server

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CRIXUS
Engineer
Engineer

Renting a OpenTTD Server

Post by CRIXUS »

Hi all,

first of all, sorry for my bad english.

Here is my question: I'd like to rent a server with two slots for me and my father but in hell I don't find any host where i can rent a cheap server on version 1.7.1. The only one i found is dawnservers but they have serverversion 1.7.0.
Maybe you can help me to find a host where we can rent a 1.7.1 server?

Regards,
Crixus
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Renting a OpenTTD Server

Post by DeletedUser10 »

CRIXUS wrote:Hi all,

first of all, sorry for my bad english.

Here is my question: I'd like to rent a server with two slots for me and my father but in hell I don't find any host where i can rent a cheap server on version 1.7.1. The only one i found is dawnservers but they have serverversion 1.7.0.
Maybe you can help me to find a host where we can rent a 1.7.1 server?

Regards,
Crixus
I'm sorry I'm a bad English speaker too.
You mean you want to host an ottd server by yourself?
There is no rental ottd server anywhere.
You have to get a server machine and install ottd, or you can join the public server.
If you want to host a server, I recommend you to try Ubuntu server.
Sent from my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ir1n1o57 wrote:I'm sorry I'm a bad English speaker too.
You have to get a server machine and install ottd, or you can join the public server.
Actually, there are companies that do specifically sell game servers/time rentals with OpenTTD installed for both public and non-public games.
CRIXUS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CRIXUS »

kamnet wrote: Actually, there are companies that do specifically sell game servers/time rentals with OpenTTD installed for both public and non-public games.
So maybe you can tell me some companies?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CRIXUS wrote:
kamnet wrote: Actually, there are companies that do specifically sell game servers/time rentals with OpenTTD installed for both public and non-public games.
So maybe you can tell me some companies?
Unfortunately I don't know of any offhand, I don't play online multiplayer. I'm sorry. :( I'm sure one of our other board members can step up and provide some information. Alternatively, you might also ask over on the Reddit OpenTTD group.
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

kamnet wrote:
ir1n1o57 wrote:I'm sorry I'm a bad English speaker too.
Actually, there are companies that do specifically sell game servers/time rentals with OpenTTD installed for both public and non-public games.
Even that, installing OTTD to a server machine is very easy job.
Even you don't have any server you could use Android devices as server, even it's slow and choppy.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

ir1n1o57 wrote:Even you don't have any server you could use Android devices as server, even it's slow and choppy.
Please don't :cry:

Start regular OpenTTD, click 'Multiplayer' -> 'Start server', enter some name, set 'Advertised' to 'Yes', click 'New game', and you're done.

Launch your client on another PC, or just in another window.

If you want your server to be available 24/7, and you have a bit of Linux knowledge, there are some really cheap options available, and 128 Mb RAM is totally enough for OpenTTD server with 1024x1024 map.
DeletedUser10
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DeletedUser10 »

pelya wrote:
ir1n1o57 wrote:Even you don't have any server you could use Android devices as server, even it's slow and choppy.
Please don't :cry:

Start regular OpenTTD, click 'Multiplayer' -> 'Start server', enter some name, set 'Advertised' to 'Yes', click 'New game', and you're done.

Launch your client on another PC, or just in another window.

If you want your server to be available 24/7, and you have a bit of Linux knowledge, there are some really cheap options available, and 128 Mb RAM is totally enough for OpenTTD server with 1024x1024 map.
Android TV box is a good option to be a server, but phone servers are atrocious.

Return to “General OpenTTD”