The Formula One Topic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Formula One Topic

Post by Transportman »

Chrill wrote:Sochi is a useless excuse for an F1 race. Conversations with Putin before the podium is just wrong. Dictators do not belong in the F1 circus. Ecclestone felt that they did, I feel that they don't. Get him out, leave Sochi.
I think they are just keep coming to Sochi until the contract is up, which unfortunately will be in 2025...
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Robert Kubica has tested a 2012 F1 car for Renault at the Circuit de Valencia. This was his first outing in an F1 car since before his 2011 rally crash. It features, among other sweeping corners, two hair pins. Kubica fit into the car nicely, and completed 115 laps. Reports claim he lapped a fair bit faster than official Renault reserve Sergey Sirotkin. These reports are unconfirmed.

Kubica has worked his way up from Formula 3, via Formula E, to this 2012 F1 car. Was Renault just being nice enough to lend him a full days worth of testing in an old car? Nah. He's testing to see if he can once more do it.
  • "The Franciacorta (Valencia) circuit was chosen for the fact that it features two tight hairpins that require a lot of steering lock. Kubica was reportedly delighted to find that the arm no longer presented a problem, that it was now possible for it to function without being held out at an angle that had previously prevented it from fitting into such an enclosed space."
Jolyon Palmer is under immense pressure from Renault. Rumours are rampant that Sirotkin, Jean-Eric Vergne, or even Felipe Nasr is scheduled to replace Palmer mid-season. Has Kubica now joined the list of potentials? Sure, the 2012 car is physically kinder than the 2017 cars, but he competed 115 laps after six years out. That's crazy.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, I can't imagine it's that much more exhausting than WRC Rallyes, which is what he has done those last years. So he should be fit. Whether he'd be any good ...

Can't be worse than Palmer though ^^ Just use Kubica on tracks with mostly left corners ;) Which are ... um. Darn. Most tracks are kinda made of right corners. So he can do Sao Paolo and maybe Abu Dhabi. ^^
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

He's got much more space to move his arm about. The problem in F1 cockpits is the limited space, as well as the required dexterity of your fingers. With his limited control of his right hand, pressing all the buttons on the steering wheel is an issue.

Rumours claim he posted very competitive laptimes over the 115 laps he completed, so there's that.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, the Vettel - Hamilton incident at Baku, who would you say was at fault?

Personally, I would say the first contact (Vettel into the back of Hamilton) was a racing incident. Vettel was expecting Hamilton to accelerate, and thus did so himself, however, as Hamilton maintained pace (in my opinion, he did not appear to brake), this caught Seb out. Maybe Seb could have been paying more attention, after all, it is the Lead Car that sets the pace, however, I can understand the competitive nature of not wanting to drop too far back in case Hamilton had floored it.

The second incident though, that was just pure stupidity on Seb's part, IMO.

----

Anyway, what a race that was! It seemed to have everything, from Hamilton driving one handed at 200+mph, to Stroll actually looking rather decent (I was disappointed that he just couldn't get second), and all the smashes and crashes in between! Also, I predicted points for McLaren (albeit just before the red flag came out) and they delivered!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

In regards to the Vettel-Hamilton incident:

Hamilton did indeed appear to slow down. Telemetry released by FIA confirmed that Hamilton did NOT decelerate. He simply slowed down because he was not on the throttle. While it was irregular, it was deemed not irregular enough. The car behind SC must remain a "Steady speed" and Lewis was deemed to have done just that. No penalty needed.

As for Vettel... Well, I am a Ferrari man, but he should have been disqualified. He deliberately crashed into Hamilton. He. Crashed. Into. His. Rival. On. Purpose. Never acceptable. I don't want Vettel racing in the next race. One race ban, yes please. Equivalent to a red card in football/soccer for kicking someone down after being the victim of a proper tackle. Yes it will hurt his championship chances, but driving like that is simply not OK.

As for the race itself, well... I was standing up in front of the TV come the finish, rooting for Ricciardo and Stroll and Vettel and everybody else too. Last time I stood up was the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix where Massa was world champion for some 10 seconds. This race was that exciting. 10/10 without a doubt. One of the best races in the last 5-6 years, right up there with the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix.

As for the podium, well let me put it this way:
Lewis Hamilton should have won that
Sebastian Vettel should have won that
Felipe Massa should have won that
Sergio Perez should have won that
Esteban Ocon should have won that
Kimi Raikkonen should have won that
Daniel Ricciardo should have won that

Lewis held the lead. After his headrest came lose, Vettel did. After Vettel got his penalty, Ricciardo was already in the lead. However, by then Massa had DNFed from P3 behind the leading duo. The Force Indias behind Massa had taken each other out of contention. The Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen was a victim of debris behind the Force India cars. That left Daniel Ricciardo taking the win. Had everyone finished the way they should have, Ricciardo would have been P8 behind all the guys above, and Valtteri Bottas. Those are the margins at play here. Stroll would have been P9, and the final point would have gone to Carlos Sainz.
My Scenarios:
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

It was a crazy race.

The Hamilton-Vettel incident, the first part was just a racing incident, but the second part was just plain stupid from Vettel's part. What is even worse, is that he does not even seems to acknowledge it happened. So I think a race ban would be proper, if you can't admit you did something very stupid, what is preventing you from doing something that stupid again?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

10 second penalty was really lenient. Oh, I get it, first season in, what, 10 years where you actually have drivers from different teams properly fighting it out, and it wasn't as if something happened, and Hamilton's behavior might have been seen as "provocative" but ... but! When Schumacher famously crashed into Villeneuve they deduced all of his points over the entire season! That's how serious they took a deliberate crash. Yes, a lot about that incident was different, but it shows how utterly unwanted that sort of behavior should be. So the punishment this time is a joke. A race out makes complete sense.

As for Hamilton, hum. Tough one, but I guess you gotta trust FIA telemetry. Of course, simply not speeding up when close together and with F1 cars is not that much different than actually break testing someone with more normal cars. So frankly I'd have expected some small penalty, too, but if they say it was OK, fine, it's hard to tell from TV without the data.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

F1 in London. Tomorrow.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-t ... ay-929347/

Multiple teams and drivers (basically everyone except Lewis and Sainz according to the promotion video) will be there, with areas around Whitehall closed off for the F1 cars to use.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:F1 in London. Tomorrow.
Shame it's such short notice, otherwise I'd try to get down there; doubt I'd be able to get a half day now though, and even if I did, no cheap train tickets :(
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... -gp-future

On the back of the F1 in London showcase event, Silverstone has confirmed that they are breaking their contract after the 2019 British Grand Prix. From 2020 onwards, the British GP will have to be renegotiated with Silverstone or an alternative venue, or the race will not be held.
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, I'm sure there another -tan country out there who will pick up the spot in the calender. Or one of those rich oil countries.

Like Norway.
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

Silverstone says they're breaking so they can renegotiate a deal that is less expensive for them.

eh.

In more exciting news, Kubica to test the RS17 at Hungary after the Grand Prix there. Dare I say Kubica/Hulkenberg 2018.

Rumour mill says McLaren is looking at Ferrari engines (?!, that can't be true) and that Honda is going to back off from Sauber.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Chrill wrote:F1 in London. Tomorrow.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-t ... ay-929347/

Multiple teams and drivers (basically everyone except Lewis and Sainz according to the promotion video) will be there, with areas around Whitehall closed off for the F1 cars to use.
My understanding is that it's not open to the public; it's causing havoc with government as the closures can't include gov buildings - so there are sections where one can only go if on business with other departments
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Don't forget, the F1 summer break is over this weekend, tomorrow we have a race on the beautiful Spa.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Which will probably be, despite the great track, a boring HAM first VET second finish. Maybe Bottas somewhere in there, with MGP power, but otherwise ...
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pyoro wrote:Which will probably be, despite the great track, a boring HAM first VET second finish. Maybe Bottas somewhere in there, with MGP power, but otherwise ...
I hope it will be an interesting race, but seeing the rest of this season I don't have high hopes. I do hope for all dutch fans that are there for Verstappen that he can have a better race than last year (and basically this whole season).
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, at least the Force Indias caused some entertainment ^^;

Good race by Hülkenberg. Also good job by Ricciardo, always there ready to exploit any weakness by the MGPs and Ferraris ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Great race, as usual this season. Definitely the best season since these new engines got introduced. Actual racing, actual battles ontrack, actual fight for the championship.

Hamilton deserved the win, but Vettel had arguably the worse car and kept Hamilton working throughout the entire race. Beautiful.

Some nice battling between Alonso and Palmer, I believe it was, too. Nice battling.

What the heck, Perez? You crashed Ocon twice this race. Despicable.

All in all, I enjoyed this race a lot. I thought Mercedes would be further ahead. This might make Monza interesting too, if Ferrari can perform like this on such a high-speed circuit.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I've just watched the restart after the Safety Car again, and it looks like Hamilton has been rather smart/cheeky, cutting in front of Vettel just before going, forcing Vettel to have to brake and as such lose a small amount of time.
Chrill wrote:What the heck, Perez? You crashed Ocon twice this race. Despicable.
Those two seem to be quite competitive, but you can't crash into your team mate twice in one race! The BBC have reported that Force India are going to use Team Orders from now on, which will ruin the fun of those two battling.
Chrill wrote:Hamilton deserved the win, but Vettel had arguably the worse car and kept Hamilton working throughout the entire race. Beautiful.
Vettel was on a tyre two compounds softer/faster, yet couldn't overtake Hamilton in the last 15 laps. Of course, after a while the Ultra's would have gone off, but it's not really a good sign if Vettel can't pass in the early stages of his stint despite being right behind, surely?

It could also suggest that Mercedes are hiding their pace for Monza, or maybe I'm just reading in to it a little too much :lol: After all though, Hamilton kept Vettel over 1 second behind comfortably throughout, even when on the slower tyre, so it just doesn't quite sit right with me.

Return to “Off-Topic”