how to manage 3-4 trains in double tracks?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Swift_8
Engineer
Engineer

how to manage 3-4 trains in double tracks?

Post by Swift_8 »

Save game file here, can you help me about how to manage 4 trains 2 for one way other 2 for another way each get iron ore and go to steel mill with it synchronized well. I want to use maximum 2 way tracks and use it most efficently with 3 or 4 trains, thanks for help.
Attachments
Whitlow Transport, Sep 4th, 1950.sav
(366.35 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: how to manage 3-4 trains in double tracks?

Post by Redirect Left »

The easiest way to do this is to do the below.
Higgins & Co., 2000-03-21.png
(289.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The path based signals at each end allow for two trains to use adjacent platforms and cross each others paths, the normal signals will only let one through at a time. The simplest way to achieve regular intervals it to set the train to depart only when full, or to use a timetable - option found on the same window for setting destinations. The first is simpler as they'll end up just syncing up neatly in line with mine production.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Swift_8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Swift_8 »

So you do a track for going oswald station and another for coming from oswald station. Which signal are they one way or normal? What difference between two I read manual but did not get it well enough. What if when other train still loading in mine and other comes from behind? Can it manage its way to other track in station? If traşn waiting in station to load fully can there be crash?
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

All of the signals are one-way in that picture. Using this exact setup, you're good even if you use one-way path signals only (the rightmost one on the signal GUI). One-way signals only allow trains to pass in one direction. As we have 2 tracks in this setup, one towards the mine and one towards the power station, it's expected that the trains will only go one way on their respective tracks.

And yes, if there is a train loading at the station, and a second train arrives, it will choose the other platform and start loading there. If a third train arrives, it will wait at the signal until one of the trains leaves the station.

Remember, trains can only crash in one of these situations:
  • You explicitly tell a train to ignore a red signal. Only do this if you know what you're doing.
  • You are doing construction work while there are trains running on the tracks. This includes modifying/removing signals while your trains are there.
So as long as you don't do any of these things, your trains won't crash. The worst thing that can happen is that they wait indefinitely in the depot or at some signals because the path is not clear.
Swift_8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Swift_8 »

Thanks much for help.
As I understand, trains which come from mine will go in left side and ones which come from station go in right side track always. How can you manage ones which come from station always go in right side but not left side? Is it about signals direction? (I had many train crash game so I ask these)
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Yes, it's the direction of the signals. You can set the direction of the signals by clicking on an already existing signal. In Redirect Left's example, the trains go towards Dartford South on the left track, and they go towards Oswaldbick East on the right track. If you flip all the signals, it will be just the other way around.
One more thing: block signals (the first 5 types of signals from the left on the signal GUI) can be set to two-way: if you see two signals on the same tile, it means that those signals can be passed in both directions.
Swift_8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Swift_8 »

Brumi wrote:Yes, it's the direction of the signals. You can set the direction of the signals by clicking on an already existing signal. In Redirect Left's example, the trains go towards Dartford South on the left track, and they go towards Oswaldbick East on the right track. If you flip all the signals, it will be just the other way around.
One more thing: block signals (the first 5 types of signals from the left on the signal GUI) can be set to two-way: if you see two signals on the same tile, it means that those signals can be passed in both directions.
Thanks man looks like you solved signals algorithm in your mind unlike me. Thanks. :)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”