Photo of the Month - June 2017 - Entries

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Photo of the Month - June 2017 - Entries

Post by Voyager One »

New run!

Theme:
"MADE IN ASIA"
... set by the last month's winners Train<In>Vain and YNM.

In general terms, [it] is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean, on the south by the Indian Ocean and on the north by the Arctic Ocean. The western boundary with Europe is a historical and cultural construct, as there is no clear physical and geographical separation between them. The most commonly accepted boundaries place [it] to the east of the Suez Canal, the Ural River, and the Ural Mountains, and south of the Caucasus Mountains and the Caspian and Black Seas.

As always, rules can be found HERE.

How to enter:
Easy - simply upload your image to this topic to enter or link it from a trusted site such as flickr, photobucket, DeviantArt, your personal website etc.
Uploading is preferred as it keeps things together. If you're linking from a URL, having a small 'preview' image and a link to a high-res image would be helpful.
If uploading direct to the wiki:
Let's keep entries in a certain named format for organisation reasons as well as keeping record of them in the entries topic and here. If you prefer to upload to the wiki, please keep it in the same naming format as other entries and inform me they are already on the wiki. Name format is - month|year|POTM_user name.
For example: 0617POTM_Dave.jpg / 0617POTM_orudge.jpg / 0617POTM_GeoGhost.jpg / 0617POTM_Ameecher.jpg
You get the idea ;)

At the end of the month, this topic will close and a voting topic will be started with all the entries in for people to choose their top one.
All entries will be uploaded to the tt-forums wiki and stored there for voting and also for archive.
Entries close on the last day of the month, voting will be available for 7 days (approximately).
The winner will need to contact me about what they want the next theme to be and then that will be posted in the entry topic for the next month*. Then we repeat from there. Simple.
(* If the winner doesn't choose a theme within 7 days, the next month's theme will be an "Open" theme).

If you wish to change your entry, you may so long as the entries are still open. Simply upload a new one to the topic and remove your old one.
Otherwise, it may get confusing as to which one you are entering. If there are two entries submitted and you have not informed me which one you wish to be used, I will use the first one posted.

Cheers people!
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Photo of the Month - June 2017 - Entries

Post by Train<In>Vain »

We're number three! :D

edit: placeholder pic deleted
Last edited by Train<In>Vain on 13 Jun 2017 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

So does this mean photos have to be taken in Asia? (Bit unfair to us who haven't travelled that way) or modes of transport that have been manufactured in Asia? And even then, that seems pretty limited for some of us :(
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Does not have to be taken in Asia.

Lots of transport and related products are made in Asia. The hunt is half of the fun. :wink:

I will post some helpful hints in a week or two.

Edit: Looky what I found, right in the heart of Good Old Blighty (no affiliation):

F2 Motorcycles Ltd, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

Asia is closer than you may realize, comrades. 8)
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

It could also be slightly cultural I presume. India is in Asia ! China too...

Well, you know where most goods comes from today...

And where most cars comes from ! Oh wait that's somewhat a paradox :lol:

My side of the story : actually this was fully proposed by TiV. I thought of something very general myself, but his theme catch me off. Thought about removing the "made in" requirement and changing the word "Asia" itself but couldn't really find a proper word ("orient-" ruled out as being too old and "made in" guarantees it's actually related) so presumably anything that comes from there should be enough. Again, nothing restricts you to the theme as I thought had happened before somewhere.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

What's the story with Hong Kong? Is it in Asia now? I seem to recall it was a part of England for a long time?
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

I'll go with this... It's a replica of a Japanese lantern ("lighthouse") from mid-1800s, gifted to my hometown by the city of Kawasaki as a token of friendship. Of course, it has no actual use today but it's a nice reminder of how ships were navigated in those old times. The source of light was a puny bowl filled with paraffin of similar kind of oil and there were no itricated lenses or other optical enhancements so I guess it wasn't really visible from far away...
Last edited by Geo Ghost on 28 Jun 2017 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pop! Something went missing.... =P
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Not a great shot, but a great Asian machine.
Attachments
20170601_093501.jpg
(4.94 MiB) Not downloaded yet
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

One of my favourite pictures of the Great Wall Of China .A group of us Scots walked 145 miles wearing kilts on the wall in 8 days for children's cancer charities , a great experience .
Attachments
gw.jpg
(150.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

piratescooby wrote:One of my favourite pictures of the Great Wall Of China
Forgive me but what's "transport related" in that picture please?

If you ask for my opinion, althought it's a marvelous picture, it is a picture of a "military" building, not something that qualifies for this contest...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

there is some relation to transport

"Though the Great Wall held little importance for the Mongols as a military fortification, soldiers were assigned to man the wall in order to protect merchants and caravans traveling along the profitable trade routes established during this period."

dare I say, as much relevance as a decorative light post -- which is quite striking, don't get me wrong! :shock:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Voyager One wrote:
Forgive me but what's "transport related" in that picture please ?
Well, ancient military support transportation ! :lol:

--------

Nice to see lots of entrants this early !

@ V1 : That picture was an entrant before wasn't it ?

@ Gwyd : Only knew now that they're actually made in Japan instead of locally in the UK !

I'm not sure actually will I enter something this month - not that I don't have plans but it'll only be done near the end of the month...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

The Ministry of Emergency Situations
Russian: Министерство по чрезвычайным ситуациям – МЧС России

The Russian Air Force
Russian: Военно-воздушные cилы России, literally "military air forces of Russia"

The Ilyushin Il-76 is a medium transport jet featuring a lifting capacity of 40-47 tonnes and powered by four D-30KP 12,000-kgf turbofans. The prototype's maiden flight was made on 25 March, 1971. Since 1973, it has been in series production at the plant "Tashkent Aircraft Production named after V.P. Chkalov" (TAPOiCh). The plant was established in 1941 on the basis of an aircraft enterprise which was evacuated to Uzbekistan from Moscow region in World War II.

Photo taken at Airshow China 2006, Zhuhai.
Attachments
0617POTM_Train-In-Vain.jpg
0617POTM_Train-In-Vain.jpg (322.16 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Last edited by Train<In>Vain on 13 Jun 2017 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

YNM wrote:@ V1 : That picture was an entrant before wasn't it ?
Yes it was but since it wasn't a winner I'm reusing it for this month (allowed by general contest rules, only winner pictures cannot be reused).
Train<In>Vain wrote: there is some relation to transport
History or not but on -that- picture there isn't anything that says "transport"...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

And no one questions the train...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Gwyd wrote:And no one questions the train...
What's the need to? Hitachi built train (in Kasado to be precise) running on HS1 ;)

Anyway, I'm in that awkward part of the country where we have very few Asian-made things (I'm in the same mind as Geo where I feel the theme is restrictive). Anyway, I will have a look through my old photo's on another computer, and see what I can find.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Voyager One wrote:
Yes it was but since it wasn't a winner I'm reusing it for this month (allowed by general contest rules, only winner pictures cannot be reused).
Train<In>Vain wrote: there is some relation to transport
History or not but on -that- picture there isn't anything that says "transport"...
OK, I was only playing "devil's advocate". I'll step aside and let the entrant make his (or her) case.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Voyager One wrote:
Was just checking, who knows it's very convenient for you to go to it and you just took another shot ?
Pilot wrote:Anyway, I'm in that awkward part of the country where we have very few Asian-made things (I'm in the same mind as Geo where I feel the theme is restrictive). Anyway, I will have a look through my old photo's on another computer, and see what I can find.
You could find some toyota pickups perhaps or something like that. It's probably not made in asia, but it's an asian brand. Or you could take a picture of the chinatown where it's close to being ported over, or... indian-town ? Is that a thing ? Or some containers clearly marked as chinese or japanese or other asian countries, or so on and so forth. I thought Britain have lots of them ?

I mean... you know, it doesn't have to be actually asian, if it's believable enough people will think it's asian and sees them fitting the theme !

@ TiV : Let me be clear that most south and east asian people will not think that Russia (or USSR) is really in asia :lol:
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

What can one say?

"There goes the neighborhood" :twisted:

:lol:
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Voyager One wrote:
Forgive me but what's "transport related" in that picture please?

If you ask for my opinion, althought it's a marvelous picture, it is a picture of a "military" building, not something that qualifies for this contest...
The Great Wall was used as a tranportation system in later years , much evidence I seen on my travels there . The quickest and easiest way to get from village to village was along the wall or should I say the remnants of the structure , I was amazed to see the locals walking along the route to the markets .In modern times this is a very valuable transport system injecting funds through tourism into remote villages .

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”