Suggestions Thread

A TTD clone that was under development. Development has now been stopped.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

NitroX infinity wrote:I don't know what you're going to do with industries (same as TTD or more and new ones) but here's a small list of possible industries:

Oil Wells [Crude Oil] -> Oil refinery [Goods] -> City
Oil Wells [Crude Oil] -> Oil refinery [Oil] -> Oil Power Station

Uranium Mines [Uranium] -> Uranium Refinery [Plutonium] -> Nuclear Power Reactor

Clay Mines [Clay] -> Clay Factory [Goods] -> City
What we're trying to do is to create configuration files for that.
I.e. you have config entries for every type of cargo (with the necessairy amounth of values, like a multiplyer vs. the base economy rate).
Then there are also config entries for each type of industry.
For those industries there will be several different types:
- Creating (e.g. a mine)
- Taking (e.g. Power Station)
- Creating and Taking (Factory)
For every type there's are some values of course. For a factory you can say for example that it takes 1 ton of steel and creates 1 ton of goods. But it would also be possible to say that it takes 1 ton of steel and 2 tons of lifestock or grain and creates 1 ton of canned food.
The possibilities are quite unlimited that way, and if there's a situation that doesn't fall under either of those types, it is quite feasible to create a new type for it.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

(The TTD System in Code for Industries is in gerneral like this too,
the problem starts when you try to change it :D )
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

NitroX infinity wrote:Clay Mines [Clay] -> Clay Factory [Goods] -> City
Why do I have to think of anti-personnel mines when I hear clay mines? Perhaps because of the infamous Claymore anti-personnel mines :lol: .

But ON topic now: it would be very cool to have new industries but what's needed for housing them is a larger map. Will that be supplied too? That also brings to something else: what will the colour depth / screen resolution be?
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

Hyronymus wrote:
Why do I have to think of anti-personnel mines when I hear clay mines? Perhaps because of the infamous Claymore anti-personnel mines :lol: .

But ON topic now: it would be very cool to have new industries but what's needed for housing them is a larger map. Will that be supplied too? That also brings to something else: what will the colour depth / screen resolution be?
We want to support maps at least till 1024x1024 tiles. The color depth will stay at 256 colors, initially the screen resolution will also stay at 640x480, but support for higher resolutions (so you can see more of the map) is quite well possible.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, I think the resolution should be able to handle 800x600 and 1024x768, as bigger monitors have become much more common nowadays.
NitroX infinity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NitroX infinity »

Some more industry related suggestions.
Applies to the editor (if you're going to add one :) )

1. Determine where industries go precisely. Not like in the TTD editor where the industry gets placed near your mousepointer.

2. Determine the starting production amount of industries, their maximum and their minumum.
Example: Oil Wells: starts at 24000 liters per month. has a minimum of 16000 liters per month and a maximum of 48000 liters per month.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I would hope the maximum would be more than 48,000 l/m. I hope you meant 480,000 l/m.
NitroX infinity
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NitroX infinity »

Off course the game maximum would be higher but that was just an example on what you could set. :P
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

What is the current map size? 256x256?!
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

TBOT wrote:
Hyronymus wrote:

We want to support maps at least till 1024x1024 tiles. The color depth will stay at 256 colors, initially the screen resolution will also stay at 640x480, but support for higher resolutions (so you can see more of the map) is quite well possible.
I'd like to get 16bit, 24bit color .. you know ... then I could eas;y convert budiling from images or other games .. now it is very very hard
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Loz Balloz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loz Balloz »

Since we've decided not to stick to TTD graphics only (we're not even defaulting to them due to copyright issues), we will consider higher colordepths for sure. For instance, you could have a 8bit gfx set, or a 16bit gfx set, but it merely depends on how fast Allegro will be able to handle these colordepths. Well, and if it isn't fast enough.. hmm... we'll search for and use another library...? 8)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I suppose you will use the TTD graphics to start with until new sets appear. So you will need to at least be able to read GRF files. That way the new graphics being done for Patched TTD can also be used in TTSD.

But you may want to support graphic formats less abstruse than GRF files. I was thinking JPG but they don't support transparency, and GIF doesn't do too many colors. What did you have in mind?
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

krtaylor wrote:That way the new graphics being done for Patched TTD can also be used in TTSD.
Also, you can ask the owners for permission and they'll probably say yes.
krtaylor wrote:But you may want to support graphic formats less abstruse than GRF files. I was thinking JPG but they don't support transparency, and GIF doesn't do too many colors. What did you have in mind?
PiNG is good... (32-Bit alpha transparent)
Sounds nice too...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I would say, you want to pick a graphics format which is supported by PaintShop Pro, because anyone can download an eval copy of that for free. Also it really is pretty good, and even if you decide to pay for it, it's fairly cheap as graphics programs go.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

PNG is supported by PSP (at least it is for PSP 8).
[Edit: PSP 8) / PSP 8)]
Last edited by Prof. Frink on 10 Dec 2003 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Ah. OK then. I've never really used PNG but I guess I don't much care, if PSP can take care of conversions. And I am a crappy draw-er anyway.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Seeing Oskar's tread about higher resolution, could you add that?
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

PSP has supported PNG since version 3 ;). All versions of PSP support PNG, yes.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Hy, im sorry if this has been mentioned B4, but:
_____
Higher resolutions

-----

PNG screenshots

----

A manageble jukebox, maybe even suporting Windows media players playlist files, thath'd be great, a jukebox supporting mp3\midi\wmp and the like.

----

Stuff with the police:

-Speedlimits, witch you can tell your trucks to exeed with the risk of being cought, free speed limits on roads owned by you, if cought you'd bee feed realisticly
-The bility to deliver hookers from smal suburban cities, to higher educated cities where people have the money to buy them. You can be feed by the police.
-The ability to get drugs from suburban cities and stuff it into big cities, maybe incresing payment to hookers. Can be cought by the police and feed bigtime.
-The ability to asasinate oponents trains, ie blowing tracks, can be feed bigtime by the police and having to pay the oponent 10 times the cost of the damage you did.

IE kinda having the ability to take the dark way to control the land.

----
Better AI (Of corse)

----

Stabe networking (Of course)
Internet multiplayer, the ability to have up to 8 players in a game.

----

Easily modable (Of course)

----

Maybe 25 degree turns, but not at all needed

---

More controlable tuneling (IE ounderground turns and signals)
Ounderground stations. Multi-level train and car parks.

----

Biger more realistic depots.

----

More types of trains, not better graphics, i love TT graphics.

----

Biger maps (Of course)

---

Different types of cities, demanding diferent stuff, ie smal cities demand food and building materials (Steel and wood) suburban cities demand electric equipment, gotten maybe this way:

Code: Select all

OIL - PLASTIC FACTORY  ---------  Electrical substances factory - Towns
Coal _/                         /
                               /
Iron ore- Steel mill- Factory_/ 
And so on, and big comercial cities demanding hookers and paper and, and and.... You get it

---------

Cant come up with more (4 now)[/list]
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Zetor2003 wrote:Maybe 25 degree turns, but not at all needed
That would make 14.4 pieces to a full turn...
are you sure that's what you want?

Return to “Transport Unlimited”