The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

The most surprising thing about the snap election in the UK is, they managed to keep it a secret and it not get out until May officially announced it...
Transportman wrote:MMS, was that ever a thing? Can't those customers just e-mail it directly?
I don't think it ever got widespread use, as MMS was a lot more expensive than SMS (sometimes £0.50 for an MMS compared to £0.02 to £0.10 for an SMS). I think these days Whatsapp, Telegram and similar have pretty much wiped out usage of MMS.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

That is interesting. MMS was, and still is, widespread in Sweden. It costs the same as SMS, and was therefore very popular before Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp showed up. These days it's not as big, but there is still use for it especially among the less tech savvy people.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It's always annoying when you send somebody a picture over iMessage, but they don't receive it (no signal or whatever) so your phone resends it as an MMS and costs you 40p or whatever. D:

I do remember MMS used to actually be quite good when roaming if you needed to write long messages, as you could send a long text-only MMS for 20p or something (I think this may have been on T-Mobile).

That also reminds me how it used to be cheaper, when I was on pay as you go, to send text messages in Europe anywhere but the UK - it was something like 8p for a text, due to the EU roaming cap, circa 2009, but 10p back in the UK!

These days it is quite rare that I send any standard SMS text messages at all. Almost all of my contacts that I message regularly have iPhones, so everything just goes over iMessage.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Speaking of roaming, the roaming fees in the EU are removed entirely by mid-June this year. That means you will text, browse the web, and call for the same price you do at home!

Of course, courtesy of Brexit, this won't matter to you.
My Scenarios:
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

Meanwhile in Romania
IMG_20170420_212942.jpg
(24.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It looks like they are against Brexit
Screenshot_2017-04-21-13-58-46.png
(382.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Back to Romania. I got to go to Bucharest yesterday. In the road I waited 3 trains and... some sheeps and goats...
IMG_20170420_232102.jpg
(72.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ⒶALEX
My screenshots (OpenTTD); what should I do? Also, AltSFX!
I❤️OTTD
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

Second part:
I found this on a toilet from a mall in Bucharest. It writes:
You make pee on the floor
I make pee on you
IMG_20170420_223011.jpg
(34.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It snowed on the road to Brăila (in Brăila and many other cities too) One car got lost down the road...
IMG_20170418_173233.jpg
(32.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sorry for disturbing your day if I Disturbed your day...
ⒶALEX
I❤️OTTD
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Bathroom wall writing is always an experience. Just the other day as I was leaving a stall in the mall, I noticed some writing on the door. Two pieces of it, in fact. The bottom one, a very confident "service advertisement" that looked sure not to disappoint any customers; above it, an anti-colonialist/imperialist message. Truly a harmonious combination of different literary styles. :)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Usually I'm just baffled people walk around with suitable pens in bars. Wasn't ever tempted to scribble on anything that wasn't mine, but even I were, I wouldn't have had anything to write with me ^^
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

I was in Galați just last week! Shame I've missed the snow.
Last known as: Weirdy
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

How was your journey? The people were friendly? The city was beautiful? Could you go again in Romania? Why?
One guy visited Brăila. He told:
http://tramclub.org/viewtopic.php?t=9961 wrote: This summer I was in Braila and could see the KT4D, E1 and GT8 running fine ithere. Also some buses from Vienna were to see. The driver, but also the women who controlled the tickets in the tram were extremely friendly, so friendly they are not in other cities - it was a wonderful trip.
ⒶALEX
I❤️OTTD
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Chrill wrote:Of course, courtesy of Brexit, this won't matter to you.
Hey, we've not left yet!

And my hope is that we'll manage to greatly increase the Lib Dem membership in Parliament and end up with less of a hard Brexit, although I fear that may be a fantasy. But in that case we (Scotland) will probably end up independent anyway...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote:But in that case we (Scotland) will probably end up independent anyway...
If that happens, I plan on trying to do a quick abandon ship to Scotland myself :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:
orudge wrote:But in that case we (Scotland) will probably end up independent anyway...
If that happens, I plan on trying to do a quick abandon ship to Scotland myself :p
According to an online test (and those are always entirely reliable) I mostly side with the SNP anyway so I might just go there myself!
My Scenarios:
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

ALEXbr wrote:How was your journey? The people were friendly? The city was beautiful? Could you go again in Romania? Why?
One guy visited Brăila. He told:
http://tramclub.org/viewtopic.php?t=9961 wrote: This summer I was in Braila and could see the KT4D, E1 and GT8 running fine ithere. Also some buses from Vienna were to see. The driver, but also the women who controlled the tickets in the tram were extremely friendly, so friendly they are not in other cities - it was a wonderful trip.
They journey to Galați was a little long, using an airport transfer bus from Bucharest... It was a most enjoyable trip though. I was out as part of a three man team doing some work with an organisation called Word Made Flesh. I am indeed looking to return next spring.
Last known as: Weirdy
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Sweden is so Swedish that weeks after a terrorist attack, our main concern on a national scale in a recently published poll is "increased antibiotics resistance". This is tied with "changes in climate" for first place.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:Sweden is so Swedish that weeks after a terrorist attack, our main concern on a national scale in a recently published poll is "increased antibiotics resistance". This is tied with "changes in climate" for first place.
Out of interest, where did Terrorism place on this poll?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Fourth, which is a slight increase to the same time last year (sixth). Third is "increased xenophobia". Fifth was, however, "increased number of refugees" so there are two sides to that coin...
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So here's something.

Why do we get IN cars, but ON trains? Why can't we also get on a car, or in a train?
When an alarm sets off. Why do we say the alarm is "going off" when its obviously going on and not off?

Words. Language. No logic.
Hurts my brain :(
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

On a train, on a plane, on a boat. But also on a bike, on a skateboard...

Yeah, it does not add up.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I can understnad 'on a bike' or 'on a skateboard'. As there is no physical thing to get 'in' to. A car is (usually) a fully enclosed thing, so you would get into it. Like you would a building.

Return to “Off-Topic”