Double decking 4-tracking

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Double decking 4-tracking

Post by trainrover »

Just a ½-minute-long dynamic clip revealing space saving for 4-tracking: https://youtu.be/xbOTRJyRwm0
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Double decking 4-tracking

Post by Translink »

Interesting
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Translink wrote:Interesting
THAT'S NOT 3 WORDS I WILL BAN YOU NOW.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

Could you make your Video with OBS, Shadow Play or other Dislay recording Software and not filming your Monitor?
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Chrill wrote: THAT'S NOT 3 WORDS I WILL BAN YOU NOW.
Sorry.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Translink wrote:
Sorry.
So you follow it up with another one word answer :lol:
trainrover wrote:Just a ½-minute-long dynamic clip revealing space saving for 4-tracking
I have a question about this. Does it save space versus, say, having all 4 tracks in tunnels side by side, and having a one tile piece of open air occasionally for signals?
burty
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by burty »

Pilot wrote:
Translink wrote:
Sorry.
trainrover wrote:Just a ½-minute-long dynamic clip revealing space saving for 4-tracking
I have a question about this. Does it save space versus, say, having all 4 tracks in tunnels side by side, and having a one tile piece of open air occasionally for signals?
I would say not but you would see more trains. OTOH those bridges would likely see some performance degradation on sub-maglev trains with all the up and downing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Pilot wrote:
Translink wrote:
Sorry.
Exactly :)
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Pilot wrote:I have a question about this. Does it save space versus, say, having all 4 tracks in tunnels side by side, and having a one tile piece of open air occasionally for signals?
It does. It's not practical, for me, to build 4-tracking like that in entirety, although it's handy when threading through tight areas. The second example was constrained by a future interchange for tunneled expressways (I think -- it's been about a couple of years since either build captured there). Add two more rows for the open-air signaling. The method's a little off-putting for stations or bends but may be handy for subways where bi-directional express running would skip overhead local stations, although I myself do fine with 1 signal per 11 tiles along subway lines (e.g., https://youtu.be/d5OfYfpSJ7k ).
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

It would work extremely well if you have a patch-pack which allows you to have signals in tunnels. Then you don't even need to bother with the signal gaps and bridges.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

^^ I hear you although the game might lose its challenges were it to become less restrictive. In addition, the lower deck needn't be tunneled. By the way, I've found 11-tile spacing for tunneled subways easily doable. A dynamic example wherein I'm sometimes compelled to increase the signal spacing to 13 tiles ends this post.
BW89 wrote:Could you make your Video with OBS, Shadow Play or other Dislay recording Software and not filming your Monitor?
Heh heh..all these years until just last week I'd very often found myself wondering why so many people filmed their videos or films in drafty areas, because just like my earlier clip here waviness blights output they share. I never filmed my screen. Its wavy appearance comes from the second tool, the timelapsing one; I'm satisfied with my screen capturing app. I'm glad you asked me this, because I browsed around for another one: might the following output of mine be satisfactory, because now the timelapsed motion of panning around the map brings on bluriness?
trainrover wrote:A 7¼-minute (10½-month) ride along the fictitious ⑩ Line: https://youtu.be/g9KOzVoKwow .
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

When coop tried this design 6 years ago, it ended up being excessive for the transport demand using the given network and using the train we chose. It was still fun while it lasted.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Double decking 16-tracking

Post by trainrover »

A 1-minute-long clip sped up to show an operating, oversized fleet maintenance centre: https://youtu.be/c2fUx7vDQj4 .
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

That really is space saving but OpenTTD won't let you have signals in tunnels and bridges, which is a pain when I'm making industry lines that span across sea.
[+] Spoiler
This is why I play Simutrans too
4 Tracks :P .2 tracks :) . 1 track ;( .
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Ha, this is why I span water by a sequence of shorter bridges, and 1-tile islands between them.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

penguin2233 wrote:That really is space saving but OpenTTD won't let you have signals in tunnels and bridges, which is a pain when I'm making industry lines that span across sea.
There is a patch that does allow signals in tunnels and on bridges. Alternatively, you could use something like JGR's Patch Pack, which includes that patch, and many other interesting features.

Or, you could try Alberth's suggestion, however, depending on the size of sea/lake that you're trying to cross, that could get rather expensive with all the land you'd have to raise!
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

Yeah, but that would use a lot more money because you would have to raise land (On Water!!!) and build a series of bridges that may cost more depending on what you have set AND if you are broke in OpenTTD and can't afford to raise land on water (that's like £7000) then it's not practical. Also, bridges across stations would be nice... because it's very realistic.
4 Tracks :P .2 tracks :) . 1 track ;( .
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

If you're broke, you probably don't need to be building double deck 4 track railways...
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

petern wrote:If you're broke, you probably don't need to be building double deck 4 track railways...
Well yes but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice not having to make artificial private islands solely for the purpose of railway signaling.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Sylf wrote:When coop tried this design 6 years ago, it ended up being excessive for the transport demand using the given network and using the train we chose. It was still fun while it lasted.
You just blew my brain by reminding it was SIX years ago :0
ImageImageImage

Return to “General OpenTTD”