Trains constatly stuck on a line

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Trains constatly stuck on a line

Post by RedEclipse »

For some unknown reason trains constantly getting stuck only on 6 way out from the station. It just moves to the signal and forever wait "waiting for free path" though there's no one train on intercept course. It worked perfectly when it was built and had no probs approx for 50 gaming years. But as I changed a little bit order list got this problem. I tried to return old order list but problem remains on six way out from station... Any ideas why is that?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Trains constatly stuck on a line

Post by Transportman »

There is a setting to display the reserved paths (just search for it in the settings window), can you turn it on? It might be that one of the other trains already has reserved a path through the junction, while it is not yet going to cross the junction.

Also, a savegame might make it easier for me and others to look what is going on.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

I've enabled this setting and that track under station is being constantly reserved though no one train is around. I aswell tried to send all trains to depot which uses this station, but track still being reserved. Currently not in home, can't share photo/save.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Simplest is likely to take out that piece of track, and lay it down again.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Alberth wrote:Simplest is likely to take out that piece of track, and lay it down again.
Indeed, that would be the most simple solution, although such a stale reservation should not happen normally.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Had that happen once in a save of mine and after the fact tried to work out how to reproduce it; never managed. Seems to happen when playing around with tracks and signals that are currently reserved, but I never managed to pin down what exactly can cause the problem ^^;
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

For reproduction, you likely need to write a script that randomly messes with tracks and trains until it finds a reproducible scenario.
Don't think it's anywhere near simple though :p
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

I'll replace station then. Tried to remove income/outcome tracks but it didn't do the trick. Just thought I'm doing something wrong though TT is my very first game on PC. Heh, interesting bug. BTW as you may see station is split for very long trains (36 cells) and for a shorter ones. Noticed another weirdo behavior(had happen after this glitch) - long trains sometime play "stupid" and enter shorter part of station though free not reserved longer tracks still remain.

Anyway, going to rebuild station today and see how it works. Guess I broke game by long trains ^^
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Trains do try to avoid latforms where they don't nicely fit, although I don't know the details of it.
However, otherwise, all platforms count for reaching a station. If a nice matching platform is not available for whatever reason (perhaps no signal after the platform?), or reaching the matching platform is a too long detour, then yep, it picks any other platform.

If you want to prevent that, use a waypoint to force the train on the right track first.
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

The thing is, everything worked smooth before glitch. Anyway, removed whole track on station and everything works as before for now. Thanks for help everyone :]

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”