Auztralian Industries (AuzInd)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Auztralian Industries (AuzInd)

Post by GarryG »

AuzInd Industries closing.

Been running a game for a while now .. had some Clay Pits close and other open. Also has Textile Mill, Machine Shop and Paper Mill close. I thinking it could be normal game play, just that they pick on Clay Pits more.

I got no transport in use at all just letting the game tick by.

Having the game running is handy for me to test the Telephone and Safeworking Wires I making for the AuzObjects_Rail set as some not lining up properly.
Attachments
Safeworking and Telephone Wires1.png
Safeworking and Telephone Wires1.png (58.46 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi all,

The AuzInd160 is based on Firs 1.4.3 and SPI Industry sets. Much thanks to those involved in making those Industry sets and allowing me to use their codes and graphics.

I been experimenting on their coding to try understand what different things do, and hope in time to alter some graphics to my own designs.

I notice in FIRS 1.4.3 they are not using Cargo code 30 as it's used by NARS 2.

I wondering since FIRS 1.4.3 was from many years ago is it important to still keep Cargo 30 reserved?

What will happen if I use it in my Industry Set?

Cheers
Soot Happens
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

There can be 32 cargos in a game, numbered 0 to 31. You give them names like COAL and OIL_ and such.
Your auzind set defines a few (well, close to 32), and NARS also defines 1 (or 2? for some reason it didn't pick 31, which is what one would expect).

Not sure, but likely, NARS is older than our cargo names, which may be why it used a number rather than a name for the cargo.

What happens is simple. When a NewGRF tries to define the 33rd cargo, the game refuses to load the NewGRF. That is, the NewGRFs near the bottom of the list loose from the ones loaded earlier.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

NARS 2.5 doesnt have any cargo's as PIkka realized that the regearing cargo from NARS 2.0 was causing some issues.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I only have 31 cargos in se at moment in my Industry set as I haven't changed that much from FIRS 1.4.3 code.

It has these lines in it so code 30 can not be used.

Code: Select all

/* disable all default cargos, will then re-enable the ones we need explicitly */
disable_item(FEAT_CARGOS, 0, 29);
// don't disable 30, it's used by NARS 2 for regearing and disabling it breaks NARS 2
disable_item(FEAT_CARGOS, 31, 31);
If I remove that code it should allow me to also use #30/

Not real sure yet what the extra cargo I will add .. have a few ideas matter of working out how it can be used best.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I only have 31 cargos in my Industry set as I haven't changed that much from FIRS 1.4.3 code.

It has these lines in it so code 30 can not be used.

/* disable all default cargos, will then re-enable the ones we need explicitly */
disable_item(FEAT_CARGOS, 0, 29);
// don't disable 30, it's used by NARS 2 for regearing and disabling it breaks NARS 2
disable_item(FEAT_CARGOS, 31, 31);
If I remove that code or change it to:

disable_item(FEAT_CARGOS, 0, 31);
It should release #30 and I be able to use it.

Not real sure yet what the extra cargo I will add .. have a few ideas matter of working out how it can be used best.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Been a bit quiet for a while due to the hot weather we are getting here lately. Not been in the mode to do any coding and graphic works for now.

What I have been doing is working on a spreadsheet trying to decide what to do with the extra Cargo I can add to the Industry sets.

I thinking to make a new set and change a few cargos around.

Maybe change the Fruit and the Vegetables and make them one cargo and call them Fresh Produce .. this will free up a cargo slot.

Maybe remove the Water cargo and replace with something else.

Doing this will give me options for 3 different cargos.

Going through the lists of cargo Labels and Descriptions at https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/C ... rgo_Labels .

Some ideas I have:

* I see one called GEAR for Locomotive Gearing .. thinking of using that idea as another Supply cargo and renaming it maybe Railway Supplies or something like that and this cargo can be transported to the Locomotive Workshops, Carriage and Wagon Workshops and maybe also to the Perway Depot and Locomotive Depots. Maybe use the code VPTS for Vehicle Parts .. maybe add mechanic Shop to the game too. Steel Mill and Iron Works could produce these supplies as well as metal.

* Separate the livestock into 3 types, Sheep, Cattle and Pigs .. Add another Abattoirs and call it Bacon factory .. transport pigs there to make Bacon, Ham and Pork. Sheep can be transported to Shearing Sheds for shearing and to Abattoirs.
Maybe add Meat to the produced cargos at the Abattoirs and Bacon Factory and take to the Shopping Centres and also add a butcher shop for a Industry that will be built in towns.

* Could add the following Industries (based on what I seen in Australia), Butter Factory, Bacon Factory, Service Stations (old style that also carried out vehicle repairs), Butchers, Mechanic Shop, Factory, Post Office, Warehouse. and/or Markets.

* The shopping Centre I have as a Industry in AuzInd160 split it down the middle and make 2 types .. one be just houses .. be like a outer suburb for a town .. the other be just shops.

* The steam locomotive depot and Diesel locomotive depot combine these into one big depot and see if can add the coal stage, water tower, turntable and other buildings associated with a locomotive depot.

The hot weather is around for another few days .. this give me chance to plan what the next Industry set will have.

If you have a suggestion for cargos or Industries let me know and we see if it could be added too.
Soot Happens
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I think removing water cargo would be fine as water is rarely transported in huge quantanties by rail or road, its usually transported by river, viaduct, or pipes.

Also, I think that it would be alright to merge Fruit and Veggie cargos into one cargo, perhaps called "Produce"

Lastly, I don't think its a good idea to split up live stock into multiple cargos, its probably best to keep it as Livestock and leave it up to the players imagination of what it might be, which may be helped by the place they come from (like a farm having pig sprites would most likely be producing pigs)

The Shopping center thing, well you could instead have a "Shopping Center" or "Shopping Mall" which would be a large "Industry" type building that must be built in or around towns (not all malls are built IN town, some are built on the edge of towns and people get there by car or transit). YOu could also have a smaller shopping place like a "Shopping Plaza" or "Strip Mall" which would be a town building much like gas stations or hotels, as I find plaza's appear in just about every major city and town in real life.

Lastly, GEAR isn't support to be a transportable cargo, it was ment for Regearing of NARS 2.0 locomotives. It might cause weird things if you had GEAR as a transportable cargo.

---

Heres a suggestion for a CARGO/INDUSTRY, you could include a Bulk Terminal/Port (if its not already included, I havent played Auz Industries in a while), which could accept Iron Ore, Coal, and Uranium Ore.

I know that Australia doesn't have Nuclear power plants, though Australia exported 50,235 tonnes of uranium oxide concentrate in the five years to 2008, worth A$2.9 billion.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Thanks NekoMaster for you comments appreciated people giving suggestions and ideas.
NekoMaster wrote:I think removing water cargo would be fine as water is rarely transported in huge quantanties by rail or road, its usually transported by river, viaduct, or pipes.
These days I don't think water be carried by train, but used to do so in Australia once upon a time. When I worked on the North Coast Line in the 1970s and 1980s a Water Train would depart Newcastle once a week delivering water to stations and sidings that did not have laid on water. There be water tanks along side the lines that train would stop and refill. These trains operated pretty well all over the State to supply water to remote places. But to make this realistic in game be hard as unable to have a train say of 10 wagons of water and deliver only one wagon at each location that there are water tanks. So removing this cargo would be ok.
NekoMaster wrote:Also, I think that it would be alright to merge Fruit and Veggie cargos into one cargo, perhaps called "Produce"
I think this be a good idea and it will free up a cargo. (Like to have 2 types Fresh Produce to represent Fruit and Vegetables and maybe Meat).
NekoMaster wrote:Lastly, I don't think its a good idea to split up live stock into multiple cargos, its probably best to keep it as Livestock and leave it up to the players imagination of what it might be, which may be helped by the place they come from (like a farm having pig sprites would most likely be producing pigs)
Thinking of this idea mainly so I could add a Bacon Factory .. but as you say if the farms have sprites to represent what the are producing would help .. up to the player then if they actually carry pigs to the bacon factory for realism or make bacon out of mutton from sheep.
NekoMaster wrote:The Shopping center thing, well you could instead have a "Shopping Center" or "Shopping Mall" which would be a large "Industry" type building that must be built in or around towns (not all malls are built IN town, some are built on the edge of towns and people get there by car or transit). YOu could also have a smaller shopping place like a "Shopping Plaza" or "Strip Mall" which would be a town building much like gas stations or hotels, as I find plaza's appear in just about every major city and town in real life.
Separating the Shops in to two smaller Industries I think better idea. I started to make a outer suburb of old style house with larger back yards. Just a 4 x 4 size with 8 buildings .. could deliver Mail here and maybe food but not produce anything.

I hope to do another one just with shops with a Post Office .. deliver foods and Goods here and produce Mail .. something like that.
NekoMaster wrote:Lastly, GEAR isn't support to be a transportable cargo, it was ment for Regearing of NARS 2.0 locomotives. It might cause weird things if you had GEAR as a transportable cargo.
I had no intention to use the code "GEAR" .. just seeing that gave me the idea for a cargo where I could supply Railway Stores to the Workshops. I'd give it a different code maybe VPTS for Vehicle Parts.
GarryG wrote:Heres a suggestion for a CARGO/INDUSTRY, you could include a Bulk Terminal/Port (if its not already included, I havent played Auz Industries in a while), which could accept Iron Ore, Coal, and Uranium Ore.
Already do this .. the Port accepts Coal and Iron Ore and one of the Bulk Terminals accepts Wheat, Grain and Sugar and the other one Wool and Cotton .. as if Exporting.

Making these changes give me the chance to Introduce 3 different cargos .. see what ideas I can come up with.

Cheers all
Soot Happens
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

thinking of using that idea as another Supply cargo and renaming it maybe Railway Supplies or something like that and this cargo can be transported to the Locomotive Workshops, Carriage and Wagon Workshops and maybe also to the Perway Depot and Locomotive Depots
Did you consider re-using engineering supplies? http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/rel ... g_supplies
Seems pretty much "big tools for big jobs" :)
Maybe use the code VPTS for Vehicle Parts
FIRS already has vehicle parts, maybe you can reuse it? http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/rel ... icle_parts
deliver foods and Goods here and produce Mail
That would be a mail-order company, since mail has to be transported too :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Alberth wrote:Did you consider re-using engineering supplies?
Thanks for your comments Alberth .. I think that be a good idea to have Engineering Supplies. Between that and manufacturing Supplies should cover all I need in the supply chain.

I've combined the Fruit and Vegetables and renamed them Fresh Produce.

Testing idea at moment of having Meat as a cargo. Produced by the Abattoirs and deliver to Food Processing Plant, Shops and hope to make either a butcher shop or a super market that build in towns. My Train sets will carry the meat and these are coded same as the 2CCT sets .. so should work with other rail sets.

In process of making some small towns and combining the schools with them (they be outer suburbs) to towns. Can deliver mail here and maybe parcels but not produce anything. Will remove the school Industry I have at moment.

Not sure if to do a small shopping centre with several buildings or make separate shops as separate industries such as Post Office (produce Mail), Butcher Shop (accept Meat), Hardware (accept Goods and Building Material), Service Stations (accept Fuel and Chemicals) to name a few.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Designs of some Outer Suburbs.

There are 2 types .. one more of a rural/country feel where houses had large blocks of land and the more suburbia types. All have schools, church and housing. I just realised writing this .. the suburbia is meant to be 2 story houses, but these have shops underneath so will need to make some changes.

Still a bit of work to do to them .. the rural places need something in the back yards .. maybe a fruit tree, some chooks, a vegie garden.

This Industry set will replace the School Industry and the large shops set that you find in AuzInd160.

At moment the Outer Suburbs accept Mail and Parcels and produce Passengers.

Intend to make at least 2 small Commercial Industries each with 2 buildings that build in the towns. Butchers, Post Office, will be 2 of the commercials. Not sure of the others yet.
Attachments
Outer Suburbs1.png
Outer Suburbs1.png (241.12 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

andythenorth wrote:Yair GarryG, figuring which cargos is a good game
That's the fun part trying to figure out cargos that can be used in multiple ways.

Like Fresh Produce can go direct from the Farms to the shops, or it can go to Brewery to make Alcohol (BEER), or Food Processing Plant to make Can Foods (FOOD). You just gave me an idea .. we don't have a Juicing Factory in the games. We could take Fruits (Fresh Produce) and Sugar to a Juicing Factory and make soft drinks and Fruit Juice and that makes another Cargo :)
andythenorth wrote:Maybe you need different economies
That looks a bit to difficult for me to do :( .. I leave you to enjoy doing that in FIRS :D . I love using FIRS see where your up to and get some more ideas :)

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Experimenting on some Terrace Houses for the Outer Suburban Industry.
Outer Suburbs2.png
Outer Suburbs2.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
They a wee bit large compared to buildings in town sets, but I tried making them smaller and only look like a pile of bricks and rubble.

The ones with the small back yards take up 1 1/2 tiles.
Soot Happens
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:
andythenorth wrote:Yair GarryG, figuring which cargos is a good game
That's the fun part trying to figure out cargos that can be used in multiple ways.

Like Fresh Produce can go direct from the Farms to the shops, or it can go to Brewery to make Alcohol (BEER), or Food Processing Plant to make Can Foods (FOOD). You just gave me an idea .. we don't have a Juicing Factory in the games. We could take Fruits (Fresh Produce) and Sugar to a Juicing Factory and make soft drinks and Fruit Juice and that makes another Cargo :)
andythenorth wrote:Maybe you need different economies
That looks a bit to difficult for me to do :( .. I leave you to enjoy doing that in FIRS :D . I love using FIRS see where your up to and get some more ideas :)

Cheers
Instead of maybe having Alcohol and JUice, perhaps put them together and call them "Beverages" as Shops, Pubs, and Shopping Malls will tend to sell both Non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages, but in the end a beverage is a beverage
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

NekoMaster wrote:Instead of maybe having Alcohol and JUice, perhaps put them together and call them "Beverages" as Shops, Pubs, and Shopping Malls will tend to sell both Non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages, but in the end a beverage is a beverage
That not a bad idea :) Will experiment with that and see how it works out. Maybe call it "Liquor and Drinks" cause even a pub sells both, and corner stores and Super Markets also sell both.

Thanks pal for the idea.

Cheers
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Some town shops .. old style.
ButcherandBaker.png
ButcherandBaker.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
A Butcher and a Baker but no Candlestick maker. :)

Intend to add these building to AuzObject_Towns soon too.
Soot Happens
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Instead of maybe having Alcohol and JUice, perhaps put them together and call them "Beverages" as Shops, Pubs, and Shopping Malls will tend to sell both Non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages, but in the end a beverage is a beverage
That not a bad idea :) Will experiment with that and see how it works out. Maybe call it "Liquor and Drinks" cause even a pub sells both, and corner stores and Super Markets also sell both.

Thanks pal for the idea.

Cheers
Yeah that's what I was thinking. And instead of a Juicer, why not just have a Brewery, and a Soft Drink Company, as in North AMerica, Juice is still considered a soft drink (maybe because its soft compared to say, rum and cola or vodka and lemonade)

Plus this will let the players imagination run free again. Besides, its like you said, Pubs/Bars sell both Hard and soft drinks (sometimes both like hard lemonade or long island ice tea)

That also makes me think, a Dairy could also produce Food and Beverage, Food in the form of Butter, Cheese, and Whey, while Beverages include Milk, Cream, and Buttermilk
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

NekoMaster wrote:Yeah that's what I was thinking. And instead of a Juicer, why not just have a Brewery, and a Soft Drink Company, as in North AMerica, Juice is still considered a soft drink (maybe because its soft compared to say, rum and cola or vodka and lemonade)Plus this will let the players imagination run free again. Besides, its like you said, Pubs/Bars sell both Hard and soft drinks (sometimes both like hard lemonade or long island ice tea)
I intend to go ahead with this idea .. I think could be called "Liquid Merchandise" should cover all types, Alcohol, Juices, Soft Drinks and Cordials.
NekoMaster wrote:That also makes me think, a Dairy could also produce Food and Beverage, Food in the form of Butter, Cheese, and Whey, while Beverages include Milk, Cream, and Buttermilk
Like this idea too .. shall add Liquids to the Dairy and possibly the Creamery.

Been working on the Outer Suburbs idea.
Outer Suburbs3.png
Outer Suburbs3.png (143.82 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
After viewing this pic I think the Terrace House could be a totally different business .. maybe include them with a shop as I like the rural settings the one on the left as it can accept Mail and maybe Parcels and produce Fresh Produce as these grow vegetables and have chooks to for fresh eggs in their back yards. (Market Gardens)

The bottom pic is the Butcher and Grocery Store. The Shops and Terrace Houses have also been added to AuzObjects_Towns.

Cheers
Soot Happens

Return to “Graphics Development”