Unsinkable Sam

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Unsinkable Sam

Post by GarryG »

Unsinkable Sam (also known as Oskar or Oscar) was the nickname of an alleged German ship's cat who reportedly saw service in both the Kriegsmarine and Royal Navy during the Second World War, serving on board three vessels and surviving the sinking of all three.

Here's the link about that story if interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsinkable_Sam

Hope Andy don't let the cat sail on his ships as they too might all sink :)
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Well, does it means, that launch of the Blue Danube Euro-roster is cancelled?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Corrrr. You tease!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

WOW looks amazing Andy! :shock:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

So I guess Unsinkable Sam is going to be like a Generic Ship Set?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I'm quite excited about this set. I use both FISH and SQUID right now. Out of curiosity, I know you tend not to create vehicles for future dates. Will that hold true for this set?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

oftcrash wrote:Out of curiosity, I know you tend not to create vehicles for future dates. Will that hold true for this set?
For initial releases definitely no future vehicles. ;)

There are some interesting options for 'futuristic' (post 2010) ships, e.g. x-bow, flettner rotors, very-high speed catamarans etc. The main blocker is that ships are a lot of work to draw (as they are large compared to trains etc, and have complicated shapes).

Even a test release for Sam is a ways off right now, the grf can be downloaded from build farm, but it's got a lot of broken in it ;) http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/unsinkable-sam/push/
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

andythenorth wrote:
oftcrash wrote:Out of curiosity, I know you tend not to create vehicles for future dates. Will that hold true for this set?
For initial releases definitely no future vehicles. ;)

There are some interesting options for 'futuristic' (post 2010) ships, e.g. x-bow, flettner rotors, very-high speed catamarans etc. The main blocker is that ships are a lot of work to draw (as they are large compared to trains etc, and have complicated shapes).

Even a test release for Sam is a ways off right now, the grf can be downloaded from build farm, but it's got a lot of broken in it ;) http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/unsinkable-sam/push/
Maybe Oftcrash and I are not on the same page here, but I take 'future dates' to mean something a little different than 'futuristic'. What I think of, and what I would like, would be incremental but not fantastical, new iterations of vehicles, somewhat in the manner of egrvts. I guess the idea would be to allow a continuing of vehicle improvements into the mid 21st century. If sam doesn't rely much on a clear progression of vehicles, then maybe its not that critical.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

supermop wrote:Maybe Oftcrash and I are not on the same page here, but I take 'future dates' to mean something a little different than 'futuristic'. What I think of, and what I would like, would be incremental but not fantastical, new iterations of vehicles, somewhat in the manner of egrvts. I guess the idea would be to allow a continuing of vehicle improvements into the mid 21st century. If sam doesn't rely much on a clear progression of vehicles, then maybe its not that critical.
I think both - incremental ship improvement for future dates, but also new technology as well.

The other thing I wonder about - is the top ship speed still 128kph? I looked at this thread, and it looks like there's a work around, but it could cause problems over 256?
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

andythenorth wrote: Is ships. FISH and Squid don't float my boat, for reasons. ;)
FIRS compatible ship set?
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I would expect so, any modern vehicle set supports non-default cargo.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Alberth wrote:I would expect so, any modern vehicle set supports non-default cargo.
I meant as in graphics, since you can make out other kinds of cargo inside the freighter, but you are right! There must be more to it than just this.
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Nondidjos wrote:I meant as in graphics, since you can make out other kinds of cargo inside the freighter
Same author as FIRS, so cargo graphics are also consistent, no doubt :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

andythenorth wrote:Partial buy menu.
For the sake of blueFish (which I will get on after I do the much smaller TTD-Scale), is there a way I could see a tracking table of some sort? I'd like the two to be compatible.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

andythenorth wrote:Partial buy menu.
Is there a way I could see a tracking table? I'll be continuing blueFISH after TTD-Scale is done (which should be a small project), so it would be nice to not be having duplicate vehicles.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

Return to “Graphics Development”