The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Transportman »

NekoMaster wrote:Though like I was saying earlier, perhaps someone needs something based on Windows XP to keep their Windows XP programs and machines running.
If that is the case, that someone should quickly work to remove the need for Windows XP, or if that is not possible to isolate it as much as possible. Of course you can use the Embedded until April 2019, but that should be more a temporary solution while looking for a permanent fix.

Unfortunately, IT is often a closing post for companies, and upgrading some critical software is really expensive. But even with all the paid support you can get from Microsoft, still using XP is basically a disaster waiting to happen. But maybe I do grab a copy, for my work I have to work with software that does not work on the latest version of Windows (luckily support for that piece of software is also ending in a few years so clients also have to switch), and then running such an evaluation version in a VM really helps with not polluting the host OS.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Well some people might be using programs, games, or hardware that only works with Windows XP but they're not a commercial buisness. Sometimes computer enthusists of different types like to keep their old machines around for certain things.

For example, I have two older machines sitting in my room that I could use for IDE drives, as the original XBOX uses IDE and thus to softmod it I need a computer with IDE and not many new motherboards include IDE (and softmodding requires onboard IDE, so it wont work with a IDE to USB or IDE expansion card)

Oh and theres also a couple of old games that I might use POSread 2009 for, Like the Windows version of SimEarth or SimCity Classic.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

There is a cash machine near me running Windows 98SE, and another running XP. Shops around here for some reason turn their machines off overnight, and reboot them in the morning when they open up, so i've managed to glimpse a few of their startup routines. The XP one is running an ancient Pentium 3 at a blisteringly fast 533MHz and 256MB RAM, the Windows 98SE one boots directly into 98SE, so it seems they've somehow managed to front-end disable the BIOS or at least the part of it that lists the specs of the system.

Of course, I'm sure the cash machine company is paying Microsoft to keep 98SE / XP updated for security updates at least, and they've not just shoved a stock copy of 98SE / XP onto them and gone "good enough!" and walk away, riiiight?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Redirect Left wrote:There is a cash machine near me running Windows 98SE, and another running XP. Shops around here for some reason turn their machines off overnight, and reboot them in the morning when they open up, so i've managed to glimpse a few of their startup routines. The XP one is running an ancient Pentium 3 at a blisteringly fast 533MHz and 256MB RAM, the Windows 98SE one boots directly into 98SE, so it seems they've somehow managed to front-end disable the BIOS or at least the part of it that lists the specs of the system.

Of course, I'm sure the cash machine company is paying Microsoft to keep 98SE / XP updated for security updates at least, and they've not just shoved a stock copy of 98SE / XP onto them and gone "good enough!" and walk away, riiiight?
Possible they disabled POST because they probably know it works and when it dies they'll just replace it. Its probably a case of holding out to save money as long as possible.

Some older stores around Oshawa, Ontario like Metro and NO Frills use cash registers that run DOS or Windows 3.1

As far as I know those 16 bit Programs from the DOS area don't really play very well with newer systems but still work somewhat up to Windows XP.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Windows XP is now 16 years old (scary, eh?) - in context, 16 years before XP was released, Windows was still on version 1.0!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

orudge wrote:Windows XP is now 16 years old (scary, eh?) - in context, 16 years before XP was released, Windows was still on version 1.0!
Yeah I forget about that sometimes. Windows 3.0 was still before my time, as I was born 1992.

If anything, it wasn't until maybe the early 2000's I got my first computer which ran Windows 95, but my dad ended up breaking it (tried to update it to windows 98 but ended up some how deleting stuff in the WINDOWS directory)

Its only in the last 5 years I've really gotten into computers enough to actually understand some things. I just recently understood power phases on a motherboard (even though I knew about it before but didn't understand it back in 2013).

I can't wait to build my next computer, it'll be the most awesome, best, better then the rest computer to put all my previous computer builds to shame.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

NekoMaster wrote:As far as I know those 16 bit Programs from the DOS area don't really play very well with newer systems but still work somewhat up to Windows XP.
I think that has a couple of reasons. Windows XP was already quite a change compared to 98/2000, and in Vista stuff was changed even more with the whole driver model getting an overhaul. And in that time 32 bit Windows was still the norm, and probably came with a 16 bit emulator, but after XP that changed. Vista was the first to have a 64 bit release aimed at consumers, and in recent years the change to 64 bit has been completed. And they come without 16 bit emulators, so that those programs don't play very well with newer systems is not that strange.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Dave

Post by Dave »

Transportman wrote:Unfortunately, IT is often a closing post for companies, and upgrading some critical software is really expensive. But even with all the paid support you can get from Microsoft, still using XP is basically a disaster waiting to happen. But maybe I do grab a copy, for my work I have to work with software that does not work on the latest version of Windows (luckily support for that piece of software is also ending in a few years so clients also have to switch), and then running such an evaluation version in a VM really helps with not polluting the host OS.
Maybe you could advise the UK government of that...
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

FWIW, all of the few computers I saw in Cuba were running XP - most of them certainly off any kind of network.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

supermop wrote:FWIW, all of the few computers I saw in Cuba were running XP - most of them certainly off any kind of network.
Cuba has computers?
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

NekoMaster wrote:
supermop wrote:FWIW, all of the few computers I saw in Cuba were running XP - most of them certainly off any kind of network.
Cuba has computers?
what is computer

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

We have something called "floskel" in Sweden, which is basically a quote full of clichees and "empty words". These are fantastic quotes meaning absolutely nothing, or simply stupid errors people have said. Such as...:

"The greens are so fast that the ball won't come to a halt until it stops"
- Swedish golf commentary Göran Zachrisson

"The police consider this a serious occurance"
- Swedish Tv3 police show commenting on a triple homicide. No s*** Sherlock!

"The hockey pro tells all about the incident: I remember nothing"
Swedish newspaper headline from Expressen

Great stuff bro.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I swear all the Swedes do is take the mick out of each other. :mrgreen:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Hopefully they'll remember to do that at Eurovision, might keep them outside the top 5 for once :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Chrill wrote:We have something called "floskel" in Sweden, which is basically a quote full of clichees and "empty words". These are fantastic quotes meaning absolutely nothing, or simply stupid errors people have said. Such as...:

"The greens are so fast that the ball won't come to a halt until it stops"
- Swedish golf commentary Göran Zachrisson

"The police consider this a serious occurance"
- Swedish Tv3 police show commenting on a triple homicide. No s*** Sherlock!

"The hockey pro tells all about the incident: I remember nothing"
Swedish newspaper headline from Expressen

Great stuff bro.
Private Eye readers in the UK will know these as "Coleman Balls"
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I dunno whats worse, when the Media screws up their broadcasts (wrong information, mistakes, typos, etc) or when they lie or hide the full truth from people.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Ameecher wrote:Private Eye readers in the UK will know these as "Coleman Balls"
A Swedish sports journalist has been posting a weekly list of these for many many years. When he retired, these were his "best of the best":

1. "Cameroon's substitute bench is looking dark"
- Swedish sports commentator Arne Hegerfors, said during the Football World Cup 1994 game between Cameroon and Sweden. Cameroon were losing, which may be of relevance to the statement.

2. "I don't speak Italian. I don't even know how to say spaghetti in Italian."
- Former footballer Johnny Ekström, played in Italian Serie A for 4-5 years in the 80s and 90s.

3. "Don't worry guys, the salary is paid radioactively"
- Rolf Zetterlund, former manager of several Swedish football clubs, to his squad when they hadn't been paid for a month.

4. "Come on lads, play the ball from kant to kant"
- Roy Hodgson (yeah, the one), when coaching in Sweden. Kant is Swedish for side or edge.

5. "The entire ball must be still before taking the free kick"
- Color commentator Ralf Edström. How could parts of the ball move???
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Chrill wrote:5. "The entire ball must be still before taking the free kick"
If it's rotating around it's own axis the bottom and top point will technically not move ^^
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pyoro wrote:
If it's rotating around it's own axis the bottom and top point will technically not move ^^
The chance of it rotating perfectly in a manner where the true bottom and true top did not move at all is extremely unlikely :p
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Pyoro wrote:
You're sitting on a throne of lies, they will always have angular velocity in this situation.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

Return to “Off-Topic”