Transport Fever

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Re: Transport Fever

Post by uzurpator »

A dissapointment for me, at least for now. The game balance is totally off. Train cars are more expensive then locomotives, running costs are sky-high and gameplay issues from the predacessor are still there. 5/10 from me.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

uzurpator wrote:A dissapointment for me, at least for now. The game balance is totally off. Train cars are more expensive then locomotives, running costs are sky-high and gameplay issues from the predacessor are still there. 5/10 from me.
I would agree, I find it very difficult to make any money even when I have everything small and set up properly, I can understand that railroads aren't cheap but its ridiculous that I haven't seen any income from anything ingame.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I'd have to disagree. I mean, there's things I don't like either, but while it's certainly challenging it's not exactly impossible either. Once you get some profitable train lines going the prizes really aren't that bad - sure, it's not like OpenTTD, where after playing for 20 minutes you have "won" and can buy a dozen new trains without even thinking about it, but I'd rather claim that that's positive ^^
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Why pay for Transport Fever when you can play OpenTTD completely free of charge?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Why pay for any game if you can play OpenTTD free of charge? And Simutrans, and Dwarf Fortress, and Aurora ... Personally, I played Transport Tycoon since the original game came out, and occasionally I want something different. And those neat, much more realistic tracks in TF make it basically worth by themselves. ^^ That's all there is to it.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Translink wrote:Why pay for Transport Fever when you can play OpenTTD completely free of charge?
[rant]Because OTTD devs are clinically retarded and cannot into 2x and 3x zoom modes, so I can play a game designed for 640x480 on my 3440x1440 screen.[/rant]

Also - after 20 years I yarn for more then 256 colors and sprite graphics.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Translink wrote:Why pay for Transport Fever when you can play OpenTTD completely free of charge?
Because we like to play different games perhaps..
Sorry, that's a ridiculous question :?
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

My point is that the two games are very, very similar in gameplay
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Translink wrote:My point is that the two games are very, very similar in gameplay
But implemented very differently.
Last known as: Weirdy
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

It's like saying that every shooter, or every RPG, or every ... is the same. There's why to many big and small differences between TF and OpenTTD. Oh, for a "casual" player I'm sure one or the other will do. But people who play this sort of game for dozens or hundreds of hours will get enough variation from the two games ;)

Anyways have some screenshots (free game, medium difficulty on medium hilly terrain ^^):
20161113165903_1.jpg
(706.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20161113165817_1.jpg
(598.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20161113195932_1.jpg
(398.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I really don't get why people complain about industries not producing enough. I'm getting swamped in all that stuff, nvm that every single person apparently wants to travel half across the map for fun, twice a day. ^^
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Don't you just love A1's pulling German coaches?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yeah, vehicle selection is a bit ... it's what it is. Personally I probably would've stuck to one country for the main game and perhaps added other countries in DLC, but, well. It's a decent selection as it is ;) Those that are in the game look great, and I love how they age over time. And Steam Workshop is already integrated and there's some nice stuff on it already, so I'm sure they'll do country-specific trains soon enough.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

uzurpator wrote:
[rant]Because OTTD devs are clinically retarded and cannot into 2x and 3x zoom modes, so I can play a game designed for 640x480 on my 3440x1440 screen.[/rant]
Wait what? OTTD has those modes, or are you talking about the lack of official hi-res sprites for it?

As for my take on Transport Fever... Didn't even get it, not expecting it to run on my craptop. Wasn't too hyped in the first place, but I'll make sure to have a proper rig by the time Mashinky comes out.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Drury wrote:Wait what? OTTD has those modes, or are you talking about the lack of official hi-res sprites for it?
Interface does not scale.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

uzurpator wrote:
Drury wrote:Wait what? OTTD has those modes, or are you talking about the lack of official hi-res sprites for it?
Interface does not scale.
:P

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

I am enjoying Transport Fever. I never played Train Fever, so I can only really compare it to OpenTTD. It compares favourably.

I'm running it on Linux, as ever. It's running acceptably.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Steam forums for this game are getting beyond embarrassing. There's got to be hundreds of "industries are broken!" threads, just because people don't understand the mechanism. Now, I'm not saying that the game could've done a better job explaining, but, Jesus, it's not that hard to figure out ... ^^;
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Drury wrote:Image
Well. About time. I dropped TTD in 2007 because OTTD on my then screen was barely playable.
Pyoro wrote:Steam forums for this game are getting beyond embarrassing.
Steam forum are pure cancer. There is an even split between people with real problems with the game and a bunch of whiners that will prove that even the most obvious flaws of the game are beacuse of a few donkey-crevices being picky.

I just read a thread where the gui size has been brought up and lo and behold - tons of people complain that if you have a problem with it, it is your problem. Same goes for game balace.

Even the industry problems are because of the volatile nature of the game. It worked the same way in the previous game and even a single issue with vehicle flow along the line could crash an entire industry chain. It is even worse in ToF, because of the complicated industrial vectors.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Really? I'd say it was much worse in Train Fever. Now, alright, people obviously don't understand the interface for the industries correctly at times, that " | " that marks an "or" choice. Produce with this, or with that, but you don't both etc. This could, or should've been done better. Although it's still appalling how ... well, frankly, stupid some players are. I've played Japanese games where I couldn't even read the interface, but, you know, games are never really rocket science. Just try around a bit and you'll figure it out. Apparently nowadays people try once or twice, then go on the official forum and complain that its "broken". Right. ^^

Either way, compared to Train Fever: towns ... they're growing much, much quicker than in TF. And they need much, much more cargo. You don't need to carefully nurse a chain of industry until it's got enough capacity to justify a train or enough road vehicles, you can just smack down a direct train connection and start making money.

Starting out, alright, it's not easy. Needs care, don't overreach. First train line is crucial. But I've started a few games now and, frankly, once you get it, you got it. You only need to work it out one. It's, again, not that difficult. ^^
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Some more pictures, yes?
20161115223133_1.jpg
(720.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20161115195924_1.jpg
(602.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20161115215859_1.jpg
(628.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Started a new game where all towns get a combined passenger/cargo station, basically, which is then used as a hub for everything around it. Works really well. And I like how it looks ;)

Return to “Off-Topic”