Adapting to the rail

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Adapting to the rail

Post by TheAmir259 »

I recently had a go on this game but found out it's quite hard to play with the rails. The first thing i immediately noticed is that i cannot do double tracking on the North-South-East-West Orientation if i want to make a turn. The tracks would crossover each other, and often the second track would merge with the first, and those two are very frustrating. Second, I don't know how to launch a train out of the depot. I did it several times and i had a very hard time launching them as the dialogue box something similar to "No path/No track found" or something like that. Can you guys help me?
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Adapting to the rail

Post by NekoMaster »

TheAmir259 wrote:I recently had a go on this game but found out it's quite hard to play with the rails. The first thing i immediately noticed is that i cannot do double tracking on the North-South-East-West Orientation if i want to make a turn. The tracks would crossover each other, and often the second track would merge with the first, and those two are very frustrating. Second, I don't know how to launch a train out of the depot. I did it several times and i had a very hard time launching them as the dialogue box something similar to "No path/No track found" or something like that. Can you guys help me?
Its silly but you have to build the second rail a bit further out then the first one when doing angled/curves. Also I noticed that holding control while dragging rail keeps it from trying to combine with an adjacent rail line.

AS for the vehicles, all vehicles require orders from a line. If you look in the depot window, you'll see theres a (drop) box for "Line" and you can assign orders to that line and assign a vehicle to that line.

its usually best to Build one vehicle, set up a line for it (and maybe name the line something that makes it easy to manage like "Oil Train Line 1), and then clone that vehicle so that all subsequent vehicles are on the same line and its easier then going through all the vehicles and assigning them individually.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Thanks for the infos, I found the reasons why the trains won't be launched. Apparently the signals do not behave like the OTTD's path signals, which allows trains to be passed from the side where the signal won't apply. That is one of the conts i found in the game. But then the next problem that came was that my trains would keep using only one platform in the station no matter which sides they arrived from, even though if the train coming from the other side has been provided a separate platform. So this means that the train would make a turnaround and then stop at the very same, much used platform, and then turnaround again rather than just stop at the different platform. Do you know what's the reason for this?
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

TheAmir259 wrote:Thanks for the infos, I found the reasons why the trains won't be launched. Apparently the signals do not behave like the OTTD's path signals, which allows trains to be passed from the side where the signal won't apply. That is one of the conts i found in the game. But then the next problem that came was that my trains would keep using only one platform in the station no matter which sides they arrived from, even though if the train coming from the other side has been provided a separate platform. So this means that the train would make a turnaround and then stop at the very same, much used platform, and then turnaround again rather than just stop at the different platform. Do you know what's the reason for this?
I believe you want to use the Choose signal, its almost like a Path signal but only useful for stations

for example

######=\\//=C======B=======B======
######=//\\========B=======B======

# - Station tile
= and \\ - rail
C - choose signal
B - one way block signal

This allows a train to pick an empty station instead of wait behind a regular signal for the whole station to clear out.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

Return to “Simutrans”