OpenGFX+ Landscape

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenGFX+ Landscape

Post by YSH »

I've noticed a glitch with rivers built on sea level.
screenshot#2.png
screenshot#2.png (359.74 KiB) Viewed 5510 times
This doesn't appear with rivers on other height levels, or with the default opengfx rivers.
numanair
Engineer
Engineer

Post by numanair »

Eddy Arfik wrote:I've found a small bug, when using temperate climate with gridlines on, all rail tunnels show maglev sprites. The attached patch should correct this.

ogfx-landscape_tunnels.patch

Also, would it be possible to include all the .png files required for compilation in the source download? MinGW doesn't like any makefiles which use GIMP processing, and attempting to compile with nmlc results in errors due to missing pngs.
Do you get the error "/bin/bash: line 0: [: Files/GIMP: binary operator expected"? It's due to gimp being in a directory with spaces.
I am now getting the error:

Code: Select all

[GFX]
make[1]: Entering directory `/.../ogfx-landscape'
[GIMP-SCRIPT] Makefile_gfx.dep
[GIMP] src/gfx/water/river_water.gimp.png
/bin/sh: : command not found
make[1]: *** [src/gfx/water/river_water.gimp.png] Error 127
rm src/gfx/water/river_water.gimp.scm
make[1]: Leaving directory `/.../ogfx-landscape'
make: *** [gfx] Error 2
I am using python 2.7. If I try 3.5 I get the error "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'days'"

I am just trying to see how my enhanced grass tile looks.
numanair
Engineer
Engineer

Post by numanair »

I figured it out. I mistakenly swapped out an old version of nml. I had to create a linked copy of gcc.exe named cc.exe in C:\MinGW\bin. I also had to do the same with gimp-console, naming it gimp.exe. I got it to compile on linux (but had problems on 2 of the three distros I tried). It was much slower running gimp on Windows during the compile. Anyway, here is my progress on revamping the temperate grass tile:
Attachments
ottd_grass_numanair.png
ottd_grass_numanair.png (48.4 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

YSH wrote:I've noticed a glitch with rivers built on sea level.

screenshot#2.png

This doesn't appear with rivers on other height levels, or with the default opengfx rivers.
I only get this problem with patch packs like the Spring Patch Pack
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
numanair
Engineer
Engineer

Post by numanair »

Here's the grass, slightly improved from the last post. Any feedback on this?
Attachments
grass_nogrid_temperate.gimp.png
(12.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
preview
preview
grass_preview.PNG (21.02 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Hm, interesting, good job! The grass does indeed look a bit less tiled. I shall try to incorporate that in the next release.
xarick
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by xarick »

crash: https://bugs.openttd.org/task/6511

bug: https://bugs.openttd.org/task/6512

More bugs:

Different costs for placing rocky land:

Different rail placing rules:
allowed:Image
not allowed: Image
Formerly known as Samu
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Hi!
I am trying to find the graphics of the non-grid rails, can they be found in the devzone?
The only things I can find that come close regarding infrastructure have a strange .xcf2png extension and those dont seem to be graphics...
Thnx in advance!

EDIT: Never mind, found them in the sourcefiles of a previous release (v1.1.1)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Quast65 wrote:Hi!
I am trying to find the graphics of the non-grid rails, can they be found in the devzone?
The only things I can find that come close regarding infrastructure have a strange .xcf2png extension and those dont seem to be graphics...
Thnx in advance!
Most of the graphics are generated using gimp. xcf2png sounds like some kind of conversion script from gimp file to png file(s) or so.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Quast65 wrote:Hi!
Thnx in advance!

EDIT: Never mind, found them in the sourcefiles of a previous release (v1.1.1)
All rail and road tiles are generated by the build process via a gimp script by exporting the appropriate layers (ground, tile borders (if any), sleepers, road (if any), and tracks) from a multi-layered gimp file. That allows to modify the looks of tracks and ground separately - and quickly generate the sprites for all types of ground by a single, simple command without the need to touch and redraw dozens of sprites where half of them are usually being forgotten in the update process

Probably in https://kallithea.openttdcoop.org/openg ... errain.xcf
xarick
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by xarick »

Bug:
Rocky land isn't being flooded by the sea.

One more bug:
Placing Wind turbine on a steep coastal tile results in graphical glitches.

Edit: more bugs:
Placing Wind turbines on tiles with 2 corners raised at opposite directions near coastal tiles.
Formerly known as Samu
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Alberth wrote:Most of the graphics are generated using gimp. xcf2png sounds like some kind of conversion script from gimp file to png file(s) or so.
planetmaker wrote:All rail and road tiles are generated by the build process via a gimp script by exporting the appropriate layers (ground, tile borders (if any), sleepers, road (if any), and tracks) from a multi-layered gimp file. That allows to modify the looks of tracks and ground separately - and quickly generate the sprites for all types of ground by a single, simple command without the need to touch and redraw dozens of sprites where half of them are usually being forgotten in the update process
Thnx for clearing this up guys!
I can understand that it is handy for a huge landscape set like that, as you dont have to bother with drawing a large amount of sprites anymore. It does make it harder for people to find those sources though...
If possible it would be nice if it also automatically can provide a complete spritesheet with all combined graphics (like the spritesheet of a decompiled NFO-coded GRF).

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I'd like to raise attention to a problem previosly posted here that I thought only happened with Patch Packs....

As you'll see in some screen shots I've posted, River tiles while using OpenGFX landscape 1.2 or nightlies.

While yes I do have other New Object GRF's loaded right now, this issue also happens without other NewObject sets loaded. So it seems to be an issue with OpenGFX Landscape it self (either that or it could be something with OpenTTD 1.6.1)
Attachments
screenshot#1.png
San Andreas - Sherman Damn
(445.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
River Tile on Sea Shore Test
River Tile on Sea Shore Test
screenshot#2.png (124.21 KiB) Viewed 886 times
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
cmhbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cmhbob »

Not sure where things stand with this NewGRF, but I noticed a bug (and have a request).

Bug: I discovered the fenced land tool, and I've been using that instead of signs. Looks a lot nicer. But I discovered that you can fence the same tile multiple times, and get charged for it each time. If I try to buy using a sign, I'm blocked from getting charged for the same square. Ditto any other objects other than the fenced land with trees. Fenced land gets charged every time. I'm assuming there's supposed to be an ownership check that's not happening.

Request: Is there an easy way to make fenced land or signed land a click-and-drag item, so we don't have to click every single tile that we're buying? It's a minor thing overall, I know. But if I'm buying extra tiles around an airport to future-proof it, I hate having to click a whole bunch of times.
--
Bob
The wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...
Me, elsewhere
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

cmhbob wrote:Bug: I discovered the fenced land tool, and I've been using that instead of signs. Looks a lot nicer. But I discovered that you can fence the same tile multiple times, and get charged for it each time. If I try to buy using a sign, I'm blocked from getting charged for the same square. Ditto any other objects other than the fenced land with trees. Fenced land gets charged every time. I'm assuming there's supposed to be an ownership check that's not happening.
Thats not a bug, but a property that can be coded for objects.
In this case I can imagine that the creators of this GRF did not want the fenced tile objects to be cheaper than placing signs, to prevent for example players in a Multi-player game to buy up large pieces of land very cheaply.
And regarding the extra costs for replacing those tiles, they probably have the property that anyone can remove these tiles, so the extra costs makes other players (or an AI) think twice about removing your tiles ;-)

You may want to use for example the VAST+Fences GRF with the VAST Objects GRF, as those are a lot cheaper.
Disadvantage is that those dont adapt automatically when placed next to each other, showing a larger fenced area like the fenced land objects from OpenGFX+Landscape, you have to do that manually, so fencing an area with VAST+fences and then place (for example) plain grass inside that area using VAST Objects. So, a bit more work, but a lot cheaper!
There are other object-GRFs available that have fences and/or plain land, check those out, see what you like best ;-)
Request: Is there an easy way to make fenced land or signed land a click-and-drag item, so we don't have to click every single tile that we're buying? It's a minor thing overall, I know. But if I'm buying extra tiles around an airport to future-proof it, I hate having to click a whole bunch of times.
Sadly, no.... Objects cant be placed using drag&drop...

alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Would it be possible to add "permanent winter" switch that would make coasts snowy too?
Attachments
Näyttökuva 2017-11-02 kello 14.41.50.png
Näyttökuva 2017-11-02 kello 14.41.50.png (381.75 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

alluke wrote:Would it be possible to add "permanent winter" switch that would make coasts snowy too?
Some time back I read somewhere thats impossible (read: hard to code). Would need some extra sprites.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

ISA wrote:Some time back I read somewhere thats impossible (read: hard to code). Would need some extra sprites.
I know and that's why it would not be part of the varying snowline, but only simple on/off switch.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

alluke wrote:
ISA wrote:Some time back I read somewhere thats impossible (read: hard to code). Would need some extra sprites.
I know and that's why it would not be part of the varying snowline, but only simple on/off switch.
Making a GRF that replaces the coasttiles with permanent snow is rather easy, its a simple replacement of the base-tiles.
Problem is that you may not always want it to be snowy...

Four options that I can think of:
1. Activate/Disable the GRF manually (either by removing the GRF from the active-GRF list, or via a parameter setting in the GRF), but that triggers the "changing GRF-settings in a running game is probably not a good idea" issue...
2. Make it part of the Cheat-options, at least then there is not the above issue... May not be handy though for Multiplayer-games and probably requires a patch.
3. Make it part of the Game-settings that you can safely change during a running game (like the Show-vehicles-path option), would also require a patch.
4. Somehow make base-tile changing GRFs date-aware (so make Action-A and Action-5 date-aware) So the GRF checks the date and switches to appropriate graphics for that date... You then maybe somehow need to match those changes manually with the snow-line dates.. (or for example change coasttiles in summer to beaches). This may be impossible...

Option-1 is the easiest and can already be done.
Option-4 would be awesome, but probably impossible....

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Make a NewObject using base_sprite_shores and have the player place it everywhere ... :mrgreen:

Joking aside it was something I played around with a bit. But the classic OpenTTD coast tiles looked weird with just the "classic" snow and the coast-bit pasted over if I remember that right. ^^

Return to “Graphics Development”