[Patch] Departure boards, 24h clock + binary 25 (r27452)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Patch] Departure boards, 24h clock + binary 24 (r24576)

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

Kimby wrote:I'd like to report a few issues I noticed with this patch in the version present in the latest ChilPP (sorry if you already fixed the problems in later versions)

The easiest issue:
I play with both the train name and the group name showing on the board. However, it seems there's no space at all reserved between those two fields, resulting in the groupname being behind the train name without any kind of separation for the longest train names on the board. For now I fixed it by starting all my groupnames with a space, but it would be nicer if the patch could handle that :)

The other issue:
I play with "Handle conditional order jumps by assuming they will not be taken". Mostly, that works fine, but I get the feeling something weird happens when an unconditional jump is encountered. Could it be that the patch still thinks it will not be taken ?

My orders are roughly like this (simplyfied, but the essence remains)

Code: Select all

1 Go to A
2 Jump to 8 when requires service is true
3 Go to B
4 Go to A
5 Jump to 10 when requires service is true
6 Go to B
7 Jump to 1
8 Go to Depot
9 Jump to 3
10 Go to Depot
11 Jump to 6
Everything works fine for the jumps in lines 2 and 5, but the jump in line 7 seems to ignored even when it's unconditional.
In fact, my timetable seems to be consistent with assuming unconditional jumps will not be made. Once the jump is actually made, the correct information suddenly appears on the board.

from what i can tell you have Go to A and Go to B

a-b-a-b-a-b the only reason you have 2 jumps is because you want "nearest depot"

a-ifservicerequired(gotonearestdepot) - b - ifservicerequired(gotonearestdepot)

see example image
Rudbro Transport, 29th Mar 1920.png
Rudbro Transport, 29th Mar 1920.png (71.36 KiB) Viewed 7630 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

these jumps are pointless, because "service at depot" already implies "if not requires service, skip this"
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

i did in 6 what he did in 11 so i felt i improved already :P
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

Unofficially updated patch for the stable 1.3.0.
Attachments
departureboard-1.3.0_dc.diff
Departure boards patch for 1.3.0
(134.86 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
sirsmilerIII
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sirsmilerIII »

Hi I have been playing this game for years, but I've only just started playing with departure boards and they are great :D

But unfortunately I seem to have a problem, because my trains are sitting at the terminus stations for ages without collecting anything. Can anyone tell me from the screenshot provided where I am going wrong please :?
Attachments
Centro, 29th Jul 2008.png
(167.99 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you have cargodist activated, check wheter the people actually want to go where your trains go (the + at the end of the passengers line in the station)
sirsmilerIII
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sirsmilerIII »

Eddi wrote:you have cargodist activated, check wheter the people actually want to go where your trains go (the + at the end of the passengers line in the station)
davidmcc88
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davidmcc88 »

I'm currently using the latest version of OTTD (only downloaded onto new PC today), running windows 8.1, and Ive tried downloading the .zip file but when I extract it to my C:\Program Files\OTTD folder and run the .exe file I get the following on screen... Any help would be massively appreciated as I previously had this and it is a great patch!!
Attachments
Error.png
Error.png (17.87 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
BlueEagle_nl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by BlueEagle_nl »

David, you might solve your problem when downloading the correct version of OpenGFX for your build.

If it is just vanilla OpenTTD, you can download it from the OpenTTD Website. In that case, I think it would be better to drop your request at the "regular" Support forums, not in this patch thread ;-)

If you are running a patch pack, it might be possible the newer versions of OpenGFX will introduce some issues. If so, ask the patch pack creator (in the topic of the pack) which version you need.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Based on the error, I am guessing that it was just a corrupted download. Happens sometimes. Delete the files and try again. If the error still happens, file a bug report and make a note of which repository you downloaded it from.
wjhunt78
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wjhunt78 »

Hi, this patch is really the most important and most enjoyable patch ever made for OpenTTD, so very many thanks for it! I use the YAPP Patch Pack, where it is included.

I do have a question regarding the sorting order inside the departure boards though. I usually don't use the option to display the arrival times on the boards, but the lines are always sorted by arrival time anyway. This doesn't look very pretty, because a departure board should show the departures in chronological order. Now a train that is scheduled to arrive early at a station and wait a long time to depart appears in the wrong place.

Could there be an option where the user could choose in the settings to either use the arrival times or the departure times for sorting the lines on the board?

Of course, I would also be happy if the sorting would automatically be adapted when the user chooses to display or not display the arrival times.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon.
Patagonicus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Patagonicus »

Manage to update and compile this patch against r27217. Havn't done any testing yet, as I plan to apply it together with a few other patches first.

NOTE: I had to set WALLCLOCK_NETWORK_COMPATIBLE to true, to avoid game crashing while loading intro (variable sizes that doesn't match).

For references I used the departureboardswallclock25-r24576.diff version posted above.
Attachments
departureboardswallclock25-r27217.diff
(130.67 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

Just passing through...

I've updated the patch to trunk r27218 and finally posted an updated binary. Patagonicus, thanks for your helpful efforts! :)

wjhunt78, I don't see the behavior you're describing (unless I've misunderstood you.) Here's a savegame and screenshot with trains that arrive before and depart after other trains, and the departure board entries are ordered correctly:
Lonnbridge Transport, 3rd Feb 1951.sav
(98.96 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
departureboards-ordering.PNG
departureboards-ordering.PNG (143.03 KiB) Viewed 5882 times
Koelschlenny
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Patch] Departure boards, 24h clock + binary 25 (r27218)

Post by Koelschlenny »

ttd_screenshot.JPG
(328.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hi,
I am absolutely fascinated by this patch and would like to express my thanks and acknowledgements to the author :bow: , nonetheless I would like to report a minor bug.

Now, firstly (skip this if you have little time), I try to play with "realistic" timetabling on "realistic" maps. At the moment I am working on a map of France. In the numerous Parisian termini I sometimes let two lines share the trains (we call this "Umlauf" in German) in order to not clog up my busy stations. This then looks like this:

Line A, every 120 mins (even hrs)
Toulouse - Paris - Toulouse
Paris Montparnasse a 12:00 d 12:00

Line B, every 120 mins (odd hrs)
Bordeaux - Paris - Bordeaux
Paris Montparnasse a 13:00 d 13:00

train 1
Paris (d 12:00) - Toulouse - Paris (a 16:00 d 17:00) - Bordeaux - Paris (a 21:00)
stay in Paris for 60 min each time

So rather than having three trains on each line waiting for 120 min in Paris, I have 5 on the combined vehicle park and let them wait for 60 min only. As the departure boards patch does not know French geography (how could it), it shows departures in Toulouse as "Bordeaux, calling at Paris".

The bug (start reading here if you have little time) I have encountered is as follows:
- The departure boards patch does not show termini which are reached by calling at any station more than once, i.e.
in a timetable "Toulouse - Vendome TGV - Paris - Vendome TGV - Bordeaux" the train would be displayed in Toulouse as "Paris, calling at Vendome TGV" >>correct behaviour
- The patch does not have this behaviour when the train calls at waypoints more than once, i.e.
in a timetable "Toulouse - >>Vendome TGV (waypoint) - Paris - >>Vendome TGV (waypoint) - Bordeaux the train would be displayed in Toulouse as "Bordeaux, calling at Paris" (see screenshot, train 16 is the 09:20 departure from Toulouse)

Is there any easy way to fix this?
hthhs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hthhs »

Hi Koelschlenny,

Glad you like the patch :)

I think that the effect you want can be achieved by making the train do a full unload at Paris, would that work for your game?
Koelschlenny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Koelschlenny »

hthhs wrote:Hi Koelschlenny,

Glad you like the patch :)

I think that the effect you want can be achieved by making the train do a full unload at Paris, would that work for your game?
Hi hthhs,
tested and implemented in my game. Of course I want to unload completely at Paris, as the train then restarts as a "different service". I must admit I hadn't thought of that, being so used to cargodist doing all the work. Now it's there, all trains bound for Paris, makes my French scenario so much more French :-D

Thanks a million!
Koelschlenny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Koelschlenny »

Hi, it's me again.

I have now discovered the function "do not display termini which can be reached sooner on a later vehicle". It appears that this function works very well when trains travel through these stations in the same order, but not if they travel in a different order (ring or part-ring services).

e.g.

(a)
train 1 departs 00:02
A>B>C>D (fast route, arrives C at 01:01)

train 2 departs 00:01
A>X>Y>C>D (slow route, arrives C at 01:02)

train 1 will be displayed as "D, calling at B and C"

train 2 will be displayed as "Y, calling at X, continues to D"

This means that the last stop which cannot be reached sooner on a later vehicle is displayed > correct behaviour

(b)
train 1 departs 00:01
A>B 00:10 >C 00:15 >D 00:20 >E 00:25 >A 00:35

train 2 also departs 00:01
A>E 00:10 >D 00:15 >C 00:20 >B 00:25 >A 00:35

train 1 will be displayed as "D, calling at B and C, continues to E"

train 2 will be displayed as "C, calling at E and D, continues to B"

But station C can also be reached sooner with train 1 and station D can be reached sooner with train 2. So the correct behaviour would be:

train 1: "C, calling at B, continues to E"
train 2: "D, calling at E, continues to B"

See attached screenshot:

train 186
d Berlin-Lichterfelde 0052
a Potsdam Hbf 0059
*via Berlin-Spandau*
a Berlin-Spandau 0110
a Berlin Gesundbrunnen 0127
a Berlin Prenzlauer Allee 0139
*via Berlin Ostkreuz*
a Berlin Ostkreuz 0157
a Berlin-Schönefeld Flughafen 0215
>should be displayed as "Berlin Prenzlauer Allee via Berlin-Spandau" because all other stops can be reached sooner on train 184
>is displayed as "Berlin Ostkreuz via Berlin-Spandau" i.e. only the last stop (Berlin-Schönefeld Flughafen) is omitted
(following train 187 arrives at all stops +20 min)

train 184
d Berlin-Lichterfelde 0059
a Berlin-Schönefeld Flughafen 0110
*via Berlin Ostkreuz*
a Berlin Ostkreuz 0131
a Berlin Prenzlauer Allee 0146
a Berlin Gesundbrunnen 0201
*via Berlin-Spandau*
a Berlin-Spandau 0216
a Potsdam Hbf 0229
>should be displayed as "Berlin Prenzlauer Allee via Berlin Ostkreuz" because all other stops can be reached sooner on train 187 (a Berlin Gesundbrunnen 0147)
>is displayed as "Berlin-Spandau via Berlin Ostkreuz" i.e. only the last stop (Potsdam Hbf) is omitted
>is displayed as "Berlin Ostkreuz via Berlin-Spandau"

Any hints/comments?
Attachments
screenshot.JPG
(527.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Patagonicus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Patch] Departure boards, 24h clock + binary 25 (r27452)

Post by Patagonicus »

Just noticed that the scroll wheel doesn't seem to work in the live travel information window - haven't had time to look into it further though.
hcoopz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hcoopz »

Koelschlenny, Patagonicus: I've written an alternative version of this patch that fixes the issues you've mentioned. Here's a screenshot of a ring service being displayed as you wanted:
ring-service.png
ring-service.png (96.78 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
Patagonicus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Patagonicus »

hthhs: Any reasons for the .Pack() - doesn't compile with recent changes in trunk (r27728)?

Code: Select all

diff --git a/src/departures.cpp b/src/departures.cpp
index ab0ebb2..171a1a1 100644
--- a/src/departures.cpp
+++ b/src/departures.cpp
@@ -112,7 +112,7 @@ DepartureList* MakeDepartureList(StationID station, bool show_vehicle_types[5],
                }

/* MAX_COMPANIES is probably the wrong thing to put here, but it works. GenerateVehicleSortList doesn't check the company when the type of list is VL_STATION_LIST (r20801). */
-               if (!GenerateVehicleSortList(&vehicles, VehicleListIdentifier(VL_STATION_LIST, (VehicleType)(VEH_TRAIN + i), MAX_COMPANIES, station).Pack())) {
+               if (!GenerateVehicleSortList(&vehicles, VehicleListIdentifier(VL_STATION_LIST, (VehicleType)(VEH_TRAIN + i), MAX_COMPANIES, station))) {
                        /* Something went wrong: panic! */
                        return result;
                }
diff --git a/src/departures_gui.cpp b/src/departures_gui.cpp
index c88326d..32812c2 100644
--- a/src/departures_gui.cpp
+++ b/src/departures_gui.cpp
@@ -407,7 +407,7 @@ uint DeparturesWindow<Twaypoint>::GetMinWidth() const
                        VehicleList vehicles;

/* MAX_COMPANIES is probably the wrong thing to put here, but it works. GenerateVehicleSortList doesn't check the company when the type of list is VL_STATION_LIST (r20801). */
-                       if (!GenerateVehicleSortList(&vehicles, VehicleListIdentifier(VL_STATION_LIST, (VehicleType)(VEH_TRAIN + i), MAX_COMPANIES, station).Pack())) {
+                       if (!GenerateVehicleSortList(&vehicles, VehicleListIdentifier(VL_STATION_LIST, (VehicleType)(VEH_TRAIN + i), MAX_COMPANIES, station))) {
                                continue;
                        }
@@ -540,7 +540,7 @@ void DeparturesWindow<Twaypoint>::DrawDeparturesListItems(const Rect &r) const
                        VehicleList vehicles;

-                       if (!GenerateVehicleSortList(&vehicles, VehicleListIdentifier(VL_STATION_LIST, (VehicleType)(VEH_TRAIN + i), MAX_COMPANIES, station).Pack())) {
+                       if (!GenerateVehicleSortList(&vehicles, VehicleListIdentifier(VL_STATION_LIST, (VehicleType)(VEH_TRAIN + i), MAX_COMPANIES, station))) {
                                continue;
                        }
Attached a new (full) patch with the updates against r27728.
Attachments
departureboardswallclock25-r27728.diff
(132.84 KiB) Downloaded 113 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”