Which AIs are now actively maintained?

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Which AIs are now actively maintained?

Post by Baldy's Boss »

This has come up lately in the NoCAB topic...many of the AIs that are available to download are not being bugfixed at present.

Could those with specific knowledge please post in this topic which AIs ARE being actively updated etc?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Which AIs are now actively maintained?

Post by Zuu »

You will not get completely fair results on this topic. AI developers that actively read the form may respond. But some still have email notification activated on their AI thread and may still respond and fix bugs on their AI when reported.

As for my AIs:
  • CluelessPlus - If you report a critical bug, I'll try to fix it when I have time.
  • PAXLink - not maintained
  • IdleMore - If you report a critical bug, I'll try to fix it when I have time.
  • TownCars - If you report a critical bug, I'll try to fix it when I have time.
  • Tutorial AI - not maintained, you should play the Beginner Tutorial - Scenario instead which uses Beginner Tutorial - Game Script.
  • Beginner Tutorial - Ship AI - This is a helper AI for the Beginner Tutorial. It is marked as special purpose AI in several ways (description, not selected as random AI, hidden in AI selection list unless you are an AI developer). So maintenance of this one is when it makes sense for the Beginner Tutorial - but I won't "fix it" to make it a general purpose AI.
Of course I cannot promise a time when bugs may get fixed, but if you find a bug, especially if it breaks the AI, it makes sense to try to fix it. :-)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

My AI, SimpleAI is being maintained in a similar fashion to Zuu's AIs which are maintained. I consider SimpleAI to be feature complete, so it is not very probable that I come up with some shiny new feature, but if there are bugs or similar problems with the AI, I'll try to fix them.

But, let's take a look on the forum threads of the AIs listed on the wiki:
  • AdmiralAI: There's a couple of outstanding issues at the end of the thread, and Yexo hasn't posted on the forums for 2,5 years, so we can safely say that it's not maintained.
  • AIAI: Once again a couple of outstanding issues at the end of the thread, Kogut hasn't posted in that thread for 1,5 years.
  • AroAI: Although the latest release is 4 years old, Lord Aro has posted recently there, and the only outstanding issue is in a heavily NewGRF'ed game. So I consider AroAI maintained.
  • Beginner Tutorial - Ship AI: Zuu has already mentioned it.
  • BorkAI: Latest version is less than 1 year old, no outstanding issues, it's maintained.
  • ChooChoo: The latest release is a bit old, but I don't see any issues, plus Michiel is still there, so it's maintained.
  • Chopper: Seems abandoned.
  • CivilAI: The latest release is less than a half year old, I consider that active.
  • CityConnecter: I don't know actually. It's thread is too short...
  • CluelessPlus: Zuu has already mentioned it.
  • CPU: No outstanding issues, but it's author hasn't posted on the forums since the first couple of releases. I you find a bug, report it, then we'll see if it's being maintained or not :)
  • Convoy: One of the oldest AIs for the game, doesn't seem to be maintained.
  • Denver & Rio Grande: Dustin has stated that he's not maintaining it.
  • DictatorAI: krinn is active, but there is a couple of outstanding issues. Let's see what he says.
  • EpicTrans: Doesn't even have a thread. I wouldn't consider that active.
  • FastPTPAI: Haven't seen 11Runner for 1,5 years, seems inactive.
  • gelignAIte: No issues reported in its thread, but gelignite hasn't posted in years either. Similar situation to CPU AI.
  • Idle: Doesn't have a thread. But I don't think such an AI acutally needs maintenance :mrgreen:
  • IdleMore: Refer to Zuu. Let's see if we can find a "critical bug" in this AI :P
  • MaiAI: Some unsolved issues, but the last post in the thread is from Hephi. There is no new version since the reports, I think it's not maintained.
  • MogulAI: Has a 5 year old issue, it's abandoned.
  • NoCAB: Mortloth has said that it's not maintained anymore.
  • Orders Assistant AI: I don't know, seems to be similar to CPU and gelignAIte in terms of activity.
  • OtviAI: The last release is 2 years old, but there haven't been any critical bugs reported since then. Maninthebox hasn't replied to your posts in the thread, so I'm not sure, but I could consider it maintained until a critical bug is found.
  • PathZilla: One of the oldest AIs, Zutty has already said that he's not maintaining it. RoadRunner is a fork of this AI, and it seems maintanied as well.
  • PAXLink: Refer to Zuu.
  • RoadAI: The first AI of 11Runner, who seems to be inactive, as well as this AI.
  • RoadRunner: The latest release is 2 years old, but there have been no outstanding issues reported since then, so I consider it active.
  • rocketAI: Was a college project 6 years ago, it's inactive.
  • Rondje om de kerk: The last issue is 4 years old, seems inactive.
  • Rythorn Airline AI: Its thread consists of a single post written 3 years ago, no issues have been reported yet.
  • SimpleAI: As I already said, I consider it feature complete, but I will still fix bugs if they're reported.
  • StreetTraffic1: Doesn't have a thread, I consider it inactive.
  • SynTrans: No issues reported, and I believe 11Runner gets a notification if someone posts in its thread, so I consider it active.
  • Terron AI: No issues since the last release, which is 2 years old. I consider it active.
  • TeshiNet: Seems inactive, has a couple of issues.
  • TownCars: Refer to Zuu.
  • trAIns: Received an update after a long period of inactivity. No known issues at the end of the thread.
  • Trans AI: Quite an old AI, seems abandoned.
  • TREE: Doesn't have a thread.
  • TutorialAI: Refer to Zuu.
  • WmDOT: Has an unsolved issue, but MinchinWeb has posted on the forums since then. I don't know really.
  • WormAI: The latest relase was in June 2015, seems active :)
  • WrightAI: Rather a proof-of-concept AI for the NoAI framework, I don't think it's being maintained. But there are no unsolved issues I know of either.
I apologize if I listed an active AI as inactive, I just tried to make a comprehensive list of all the AIs available on Bananas. Feel free to correct me if any of this information is wrong.

So it seems that there are no AIs that are actively developed with new features, the AIs are either in 'maintenance mode' or not maintained at all...
krinn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by krinn »

Brumi wrote: [*]DictatorAI: krinn is active, but there is a couple of outstanding issues. Let's see what he says.
I consider 169 dead, i lack time for new version, so none for the old one. I know new version is taking time to get out, but i keep sticking with "ready when its ready" for now.

Unlike what the user said in nocab thread, it is ALWAYS good to report ai errors, most ai are gpl (and nocab is), even without authors, someone can provide patch to them, or fork them, or even took ownership if author allow it, so an ai without active authors is not dead, but sleeping.
I have myself provide a simple (untest) fix for nocab AI_ET error in the other nocab thread, i have no time for that, but even the too long to save could be fix (i finally manage to handle lot of datas, and save nearly nothing ; something Zuu has done for a long time, but i was willing to keep names human for the stations myself.
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

Here a list that I maintain ordered from newest to oldest and some comments, maybe it could be useful for you:

Code: Select all

(AI tar name)	(date)	(comments)
SimpleAI-10.tar	2015-08-12	no ships, no articulated
WormAI-3.tar	2015-06-12	air only
TracAI-1.0.tar	2015-04-28	rail, air
TeshiNet-4.0.3.tar	2015-04-20	
CivilAI-6.tar	2015-02-10	no random
BorkAI-20.tar	2014-09-03	
CPU-1.4.tar	2014-07-29	no drivethrough
Orders_Assistant_AI-9.tar	2014-03-20	no random
WmDOT-13.tar	2014-03-10	road, ships, no random
trAIns-2.1.tar	2014-02-14	rail only
CityConnecter-1.tar	2014-01-25	
EpicTrans-1.0.tar	2013-12-04	
MailAI-2.22.tar	2013-10-06	road, rail, mail only
CluelessPlus-37.tar	2013-07-24	road, air
Trans_AI-130722.tar	2013-07-22	no rail
TREE-1.0.tar	2013-07-09	
RoadRunner-9.tar	2013-06-30	road only
OtviAI-418.tar	2013-06-05	cpu intensive
FastPTPAI-4.tar	2013-04-09	rail only
Beginner_Tutorial__Ship_AI-17.tar	2013-04-03	
DictatorAI-169.tar	2013-01-02	no drivethrough
Terron_AI-209.tar	2012-12-13	no rail
NoCAB-2.1.4.tar	2012-10-03	
AIAI-iota95.tar	2012-10-01	no ships
Rythorn_Airline_AI-3.tar	2012-09-06	air only
ChooChoo-409.tar	2012-03-28	rail only
RoadAI-3.tar	2011-10-14	road only, no drivethrough
SynTrans-15.tar	2011-10-14	no drivethrough, no rail
Chopper-10.tar	2011-08-22	air only
TutorialAI-5.tar	2011-08-14	
AroAI-1.2.tar	2011-04-15	road only
TownCars-5.tar	2011-03-25	no drivethrough
Rondje_om_de_kerk-385.tar	2011-01-05	road only, no random
gelignAIte-1.1.tar	2010-12-16	road only
IdleMore-1.tar	2010-11-25	no random
MogulAI-5900.tar	2010-10-10	road only, no drivethrough
Idle-1.tar	2010-10-09	
AdmiralAI-25.tar	2010-08-12	no ships
PAXLink-14.tar	2010-02-19	no drivethrough, buses, planes, pass only
rocketAI-1.tar	2009-11-23	road only, no drivethrough
Denver__Rio_Grande-1.tar	2009-09-29	rail only
PathZilla-6.tar	2009-07-08	road only
StreetTraffic1-1.0.tar	2009-04-07	no drivethrough
Convoy-11.tar	2009-02-19	road only, no drivethrough
WrightAI-3.tar	2009-02-15	air only
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Why not keep the wiki updated instead?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
marco.r
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marco.r »

I can confirm that BorkAI is maintained, even though I don't have much time for new features (usually I do something during summer or winter vacations :D).

Regarding Rythorn Airline AI, it always bails out little after starting. Technically it's not crashing, but not very useful either.

It would be nice if there was another way to have this information other than by reading this thread, since t the moment the wiki has somewhat outdated information.

Even worse, BaNaNaS provides misleading information since it shows the AIs ordering them by the number of downloads of the latest version.
This give the impression that the top entries are the most used (and thus "more interesting"), while it may just means that they haven't been updated
in a long time (according to this thread, the most 10 downloaded AIs have not been updated in about 5 years).
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

marco.r wrote:I can confirm that BorkAI is maintained, even though I don't have much time for new features (usually I do something during summer or winter vacations :D).

Regarding Rythorn Airline AI, it always bails out little after starting. Technically it's not crashing, but not very useful either.

It would be nice if there was another way to have this information other than by reading this thread, since t the moment the wiki has somewhat outdated information.

Even worse, BaNaNaS provides misleading information since it shows the AIs ordering them by the number of downloads of the latest version.
This give the impression that the top entries are the most used (and thus "more interesting"), while it may just means that they haven't been updated
in a long time (according to this thread, the most 10 downloaded AIs have not been updated in about 5 years).
Well, the wiki is maintained by people like *you*. Feel free to update it when there's need.

You have a very valid point with the statistics as provided by bananas. Total downloads is a completely unusable metric.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

planetmaker wrote:
marco.r wrote:I can confirm that BorkAI is maintained, even though I don't have much time for new features (usually I do something during summer or winter vacations :D).

Well, the wiki is maintained by people like *you*. Feel free to update it when there's need.

You have a very valid point with the statistics as provided by bananas. Total downloads is a completely unusable metric.
Could there be an option to sort the way HGus posted (by date of last revision)?
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

I did some updates in the wiki.

To sort my list I just used an internal function of Excel, that means that you must write the date manually (I explored every package).

It can be done in the wiki too. The tables in wiki are sortable, you only need to add a date's column and fill it by hand.

I will do it when having some free time.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Bumping topic for convenience.
How analogous to what's in here is the information in the wiki?
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean :)

The wiki does not aim to provide information about the maintenance status of the AIs at the moment. Feel free to change that of course, but such information would get outdated really fast, and noone took their time yet to keep the wiki up to date on this matter.

The list I gathered earlier in the thread was a one-time research at the time of the posting on my behalf, we'd need to do that again if we wanted to update that list.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Are there any AIs besides NoNoCab that are new since the list above was compiled?
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

None that I know of.
HGus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HGus »

Only 3 as far as I checked:

DictatorAI v183 may 7 2016
BorkAI v23 may 3 2016
WormAI v6 may 14 2016

Edit: added WormAI
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Those three are all revisions,while NoNoCAB is a semi-independent fork of NoCAB.
Just bumping this since someone posted a bug incident for TrAIns,which appears not to have been updated since early 2014.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Just bumping this since someone posted a bug incident for TrAIns,which appears not to have been updated since early 2014.
Well, AIAI was also not updated since 2014 and now I am working on a new version. Even with 1% chance that somebody will act on report I think it is worth reporting it - in my experience bug reports are very valuable and time needed to post image is minimal.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
samward
Engineer
Engineer

Post by samward »

Are any of the AI's open source and and open to contributions? I don't want to start yet another AI but I'm interested in helping out.

Really I'm after an AI that offers reasonable competition to add a competitive challenge to the game and I'm happy to help work towards that. I've found most AIs are either missing something - planes, ships etc, making them easy to beat by exploiting their weakness or run so optimally that it is no fun.

It would be helpful if the wiki pointed to any open source repositories, if anyone knows where they are.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I'd start at the devzone ( http://dev.openttdcoop.org/ ).
There is a "projects" link at the 3rd line in the left column.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

All AIs is a tar file with the AI script included. So you can read the AI code by just untar the AI file.

But if you want the version control repo, then a good start is indeed on DevZone where many OpenTTD related projects are hosted.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”