Best NewGRF Combinations... suggestions...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dhie022512
Engineer
Engineer

Best NewGRF Combinations... suggestions...

Post by dhie022512 »

any suggestion,,, on what GRF is best combined??

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :D
kamnet

Re: Best NewGRF Combinations... suggestions...

Post by kamnet »

Aside from not using more than one industry/economy NewGRF, there really isn't any "bad" or "best" combination. It entirely depends on your own personal tastes.

Although, if you're particular about aesthetics, you may want to avoid mixing 8bpp NewGRF sets with 32bpp NewGRF sets. The style differences can be quite jolting, as well as the quality of the graphics.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

All Pikka grfs together? :D
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

dhie022512 wrote:any suggestion,,, on what GRF is best combined??

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :D
Depends on the style of game you want to play , Your main 1st choice will have to be the industry type basic or complex economy ,Auz160,Firs,Ecs , and a compatible vehicle set .Do you want candy ,station sets ,town sets ,object sets ? I find it a difficult question to answer ,it all depends on how you want to play and the look of the game .My preference is fun with a hint of candy ,plenty choice of vehicles .Have a look at save games /scenarios this will give you an idea of how other people put their game together .There is loads of grfs out there ,https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_List , Pick and experiment have fun and enjoy .
Attachments
grf.jpg
grf.jpg (199.56 KiB) Viewed 880 times
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

There is a lot of things that you can do, I wrote a lengthy thing about it a few years ago. Most of the hints still apply, or definitely still the general idea of it. http://blog.openttdcoop.org/2012/10/16/creating-maps/

Overall, you just need to know what each NewGRF does. For example if one train set is missing passenger transportation, you want to add another set which is good with passengers but lacks cargo. Or a set which has problems in early game, and combine it with a train set which lacks trains in late game.

Other than that, as long as the train set / other vehicles support industries properly, it's kind of hard to say which thing is better than another.

NUTS trains are trying to work great from pre-1900 until forever, with train choices for all the time; but it's complex to get into. Many people won't appreciate all the "you can attach this to that, not to something else" rules.

One thing I really like to get right are graphical replacements to fit together properly, for example bigger brick depots and brick foundations both have similar brick-ish colour, looks nice when combined together. Add DB set to it because red trains fit it as well, ... Extra care is necessary when replacing bridges and roads, to have a bridge set which is actually compatible. Similarly for tracks/landscape. If the track NewGRF is just replacing graphics, not defining new railtypes, it can lead to issues very easily.

But generally it's pretty hard to make a "really broken" setup.
ImageImageImage
Espee
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Espee »

Here's a link to a screenshot of my NewGRF selections for my Tarborough Trunk game from November 2013: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=69191 . I use this basic NewGRF set (albeit updated with current versions, with one notable exception explained further) for my preferred style of play, which is railroad-orientated North American practice with large maps (2048x2048) and very mountainous terrain.

I'm a big fan of prototypical vehicle sets and complex economies, preferring ECS over FIRS (which admittedly has some interesting features). My favorite vehicle set by far is NARS 2.03 - I differ from many of the others in that I prefer this set by far over the later, simplified Version 2.51.
dhie022512
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dhie022512 »

Tnx for all of the reply.... i think ill just experiment on the combination of NewGRF.. to find the ones the suits my taste... tnx for the screenshot's.. ill gonna try some of the NewGRF there...

:D :D :D :D :D

Return to “General OpenTTD”