The [URL] featjre of BB code

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

PropH
Engineer
Engineer

The [URL] featjre of BB code

Post by PropH »

That's would be nice, if after pressing [u]URL[/u] some if-statement.
What i mean:
If there's highlated text(which isn't url) it would be placed in this way:
[url=(cursor is here/or autopaste from buffer]text[/url]
If there's no highlated text, or link is highlated:
[url(=link)](cursor)[/url]
So, that's my suggestion.
Sorry for my "great" English
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The [URL] featjre of BB code

Post by Leanden »

Not sure how familiar you are with the PHP code of PHPBB forums, but this is an awful lot of work to make this change to save the user 1/10th of a second to press the left arrow on their keyboard or simply click where you want to type...
PropH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PropH »

Leanden wrote:Not sure how familiar you are with the PHP code of PHPBB forums, but this is an awful lot of work to make this change to save the user 1/10th of a second to press the left arrow on their keyboard or simply click where you want to type...
I think, that's one of the most important reasons, why it's called suggestion, and not order.
Sorry for my "great" English
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

and well, none of us are really in a position to order Owen to do anything :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

PropH wrote:
Leanden wrote:Not sure how familiar you are with the PHP code of PHPBB forums, but this is an awful lot of work to make this change to save the user 1/10th of a second to press the left arrow on their keyboard or simply click where you want to type...
I think, that's one of the most important reasons, why it's called suggestion, and not order.
Never said it was an order at any point, but making suggestions on these forums without comprehending the time and work required to make said suggestion happen generally doesnt ellicit to friendliest response, especially when the benefit of such a change is so infinitely small.

Please do some research before makinga simple "suggestion".
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I would suggest this at phpbb.com - it's not something I'll be doing I'm afraid, but if it ends up part of phpBB then we will benefit from it eventually.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Leanden wrote:Not sure how familiar you are with the PHP code of PHPBB forums
This has nothing to do with the PHP-code of the board software. It's a task for it's JavaScript-code.
Leanden wrote:but this is an awful lot of work to make this change to save the user 1/10th of a second to press the left arrow on their keyboard or simply click where you want to type...
It seems to be only a bit of a time saver, one that isn't worth the effort. But from a users view it would be a gain of convenience. Other forum- and also board-systems have this or a comparable feature i.e. often with a JS-prompt for the URL and the optional link text. Many users expect the function and will fail while inserting their messages.

I'm sure, I have seen that feature years ago in a phpBB-driven board before. And yes, like orudge said, this has to be addressed to the phpBB-developers.

Tschö, Auge
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Auge wrote:It's a task for it's JavaScript-code.
Thanks for the correction, i've done plenty of PHP mods for phpBB boards in the past, i assumed it would fall into that category. JavaScript just compounds the issue further :P
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

There used to be a mod available for this, but nobody made an extension yet (phpBB changed how you add stuff to the software). It would be a nice feature to have especially for the less techy users. The place to request one is https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=496 - make sure that it hasn't been requested already though.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”