Dutch Landmark Object Set development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Dutch Landmark Object Set development

Post by Silverx50 »

Release and further development thread of the Dutch Landmark Object Set
DLOS.png
DLOS.png (64.87 KiB) Viewed 9605 times
The Dutch Landmarks Object Set contains a set of Buildings that can be found in the Netherlands.
I'll be posting new finished buildings in this thread, buildings that are still being worked on can be found in my workshop thread.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
As the set grows more and more dutch cities will be added. next to be added are Amsterdam, Utrecht and Delft.

-license:
Gplv2

-credits:
Coding and Graphics Silverx50

many thanks to:
-Quast65, for help with corrections to graphics and coding
-Luxtram, for help with the graphics
-SAC, for the use of her foliage and inspiration
-GarryG, for the inspiration and showing how quickly one can learn to do things for openttd.

if I've missed someone please let me know.

features:

v.0.1
dlos.grf
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 390 times
Contains buildings from The Hague and Rotterdam
Attachments
DLDH.png
DLDH.png (79.48 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Last edited by Silverx50 on 14 Apr 2017 21:21, edited 3 times in total.
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Dutch Landmark Object Set (release v. 0.1 23 July 2016)

Post by Silverx50 »

Rotterdam buildings
DLRT.png
DLRT.png (110.28 KiB) Viewed 1788 times

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Congrats with the release!!! :bow:
Three bugs though (that should be easily fixable)

-Menu graphics of New-Babylon:
Example132.png
Example132.png (13.15 KiB) Viewed 9540 times
Thnx for implimenting my idea for making where one should place the various segments to get the reallife setup clearer, however it is not good visually in my purchase menu, is it ok in your game?

-Koopgoot part1:
Example133.png
Example133.png (61.43 KiB) Viewed 9540 times
You have added some missing couple of pixels at the bottom, but with that you moved the entire building up 1 pixel. You should correct for that in the code ;-)

-Bridge Haagse Poort part 1:
Example134.png
Example134.png (35.48 KiB) Viewed 9540 times
As you can see, fences (and catenary also) is visible through the overlap. Should be fixable by extending the boundingbox.
Change

Code: Select all

//view_1
spritelayout spritelayout_haagsepoortbrug_001_view1 {
     ground {
      // normal ground sprite - always draw
      sprite: LOAD_TEMP(0) + LOAD_TEMP(1);
   }

building {
        sprite: spriteset_haagsepoortbrug_001(0);
        hide_sprite: nearby_tile_height(0, 0) >= snowline_height;
        xoffset: 0; //from NE edge
        yoffset: 0; //from NW edge
        zoffset: 0;
        xextent: 16;
        yextent: 16;
        zextent: 16;
    }
}
to

Code: Select all

//view_1
spritelayout spritelayout_haagsepoortbrug_001_view1 {
     ground {
      // normal ground sprite - always draw
      sprite: LOAD_TEMP(0) + LOAD_TEMP(1);
   }

building {
        sprite: spriteset_haagsepoortbrug_001(0);
        hide_sprite: nearby_tile_height(0, 0) >= snowline_height;
        xoffset: 0; //from NE edge
        yoffset: 0; //from NW edge
        zoffset: 0;
        xextent: 32;
        yextent: 16;
        zextent: 16;
    }
}
(or change the yextend to 32, had a couple of beers, not sure what direction was X and what was Y anymore ;-) )
Couldnt hurt to change the z-extent also to a hight that the entire thing is in a boundingbox. (also for the other buildings)

I think those are all of the coding/purchasemenu thingies I could find ;-)

EDIT:Almost forgot, for an official GPL release, you should also attach a complete source (so a .rar with code, graphics and .lng-file), that doesnt have to be done in the first post (can be done after an update) and it is handy to include the version number, either in the name of the .rar itself or the description that you can add to the attachment.
Also, it is nice to put it on BaNaNas, so people can download it ingame (handy for multiplayer games).
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Thank you so much for the first release. I really liked it. I'm waiting for next versions with new buildings, bug fixes and defects. Success in the development of this project. :D

I have a few questions. :)

The building will be covered with snow in the winter? What types of objects you plan to add in the future? For example, parks in the Netherlands, stations and much more.
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

STD wrote:Thank you so much for the first release. I really liked it. I'm waiting for next versions with new buildings, bug fixes and defects. Success in the development of this project.

I have a few questions.

The building will be covered with snow in the winter? What types of objects you plan to add in the future? For example, parks in the Netherlands, stations and much more.
glad that you like it.
I have not yet made the buildings snow covered, the code is ready for it though, so all I need is a snow covered version of the building.
with the next release I'll also release all the sprites.
I'm planning a lot more buildings around the Netherlands and also parks(but there are already a few grfs that feature parks and such so that won't be that high up my to-do list amd I'm not that good at drawing foliage)
I'm planning a few squares like the one in the hague outside of the parliament building in the hague.

I'm drawing stations but those won't be added to this set, any dutch station that I draw will most likely be added to the dutch station addition set of Quast65.
so lots more coming from me, but it will take time.

STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I wish you success in implementing your plans for the development of Dutch Landmark Set Object :))
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Dutch Landmark Object Set development

Post by Silverx50 »

With the development of the Delft station nearing completion in my workshop thread, I wanted to show the other work I've done on the DLOS side of things for Delft the city.
some of these have been waiting on my hard-drive for a little while while some others were drawn in the last month or so.

credit goes to the following people for the help or pieces borrowed.

Quast65 for helping me refine them and drawing a better version of the tower of the largest church.
SAC for the foliage
OpenGFX for some of the foliage as well.
Zimmlock for the base that I used for the church spires.

if I forgot anyone pls let me know.

The three largest churches in delft.
Churches of Delft.png
Churches of Delft.png (144.97 KiB) Viewed 8716 times

These are as finished as finished can be in my eyes.

And 4 buildings from TU delft
DLOS TU Delft.png
DLOS TU Delft.png (85.7 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
these still need texturing and maybe some refinement.
Attachments
DLOS Delft City Planner Grid.png
(415.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Fantastic work!! :bow: :bow:
Couple of comments though.... :twisted:
Churches%20of%20Delft_15042017_Q65_Edit.png
Churches%20of%20Delft_15042017_Q65_Edit.png (153 KiB) Viewed 8667 times
Oude Kerk:
Just a tiny tiny thing, because it already looks very good and it may not need what I am going to suggest, but try not to use the same color when drawing lines, alternate between at least two (tones of) colors. It will make the lines less sharp and will tone down some lines that may look too bright (in this case mostly the line at the very end, going down from the top end point towards the wall).

Nieuwe Kerk:
- Same as above, texturing will certainly improve some of the lines that look too sharp right now. (Mainly the rooflines, windowlines and those dark brown lines in the top of the tower)
- For the rooflines, those are very bright, maybe the color used for the rooflines of the Oude Kerk would be better (in combination with texture)
- I think the color used for the part of the tower just above the red brick is a tad too bright.
- I think one of the clocks is broken ;-)

Maria van Jesse Kerk:
- Same as above, rooflines maybe too bright and those, as well as the windowlines, may be improved with a bit of texture.
- Most importantly, I have made some changes to the top of the two towers (changed some of the positions of the yellow windows a bit, for the left tower only the one facing the sunny side, for the right tower sunny side as well as dark side) Compair it with your version, to exactly see what I changed and to see if these are improvements in your opinion.
4 buildings from TU delft
-Aula/Auditorium:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: That roof and all the little details!!! WOW!!!

-EWI:
Stunning!! Sad that they maybe are planning to tear it down in the future, its a real landmark but sadly getting too old and expensive for practical use... Glad it will be preserved in OpenTTD :mrgreen:
(In Dutch) http://delta.tudelft.nl/artikel/renover ... -ewi/30555

-Faculty of Aerospace Engineering:
My old faculty!! :] (I am not an engineer though, being a student was more interesting than actually studying [insert beer emoticon here] :mrgreen: )

-Library:
That may need some work....... :wink:
First of all, its designed by the same architect firm that designed the new Delft station, that says enough already... So loads of strange angles, lines and shapes....
This website may help a lot:
http://www.mecanoo.nl/Projects/project/ ... nology?t=0
Ok, we need to take the angle at which OpenTTD looks at buildings in account and how that effects the multiple shapes this building has, but mainly these things (in random order) I would like to comment on:
- The overall footprint right now is 3x4 (same as the Aula), it may be better to make that 3x5, so you have a bit more room to make it look less steep and incorporate some more angles/shapes (or make those look more obvious), maybe even 4x5 will be needed.
- Maybe the above is not needed at all though with this change:
With the way it is drawn right now, point-A and point-B are on the same hight and on the same position along the Y-line:
Example237.png
Example237.png (23.8 KiB) Viewed 8667 times
I do believe though that point-B should be lower than point-A and further along the Y-line.
Now, this is where it becomes difficult with the perspective of OpenTTD, how to draw that.... Maybe something like this (very very rough sketch)...
Example238.png
Example238.png (25.89 KiB) Viewed 8667 times
But I think it is better to first roughly determine the X-Y-Z-positions of point-A and B and see what sort of line comes out of that when those are connected. I think the facade facing the sunny side is already pretty good, so point-A is pretty much spot-on, the thing is now to find point-B ;-)
- The angle of the stairs to the entrance, the bottom one looks less steep than the two others, how does it look when you use the bottom angle also for the two others? As I think that right now the entrance looks too steep.
- The cone looks just a bit too small... At least with the size/shape of the grassy roof right now...
Overall, the library may need a bit of a redesign and it may be handy to not draw in the details/textures just yet and see if the overall shape can be improved.

Keep up the great work though, all of this is just awesome!!!

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
sanderNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sanderNL »

Wow they look nice! Especially the churches are real craftsmanship ;-)
Delft Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Delft Trains »

Wowowow!! Amazing!!!! :shock:

I just created this account just to react to this post.

I'm born, and currently still live, in Delft. I'm amazed by the quality of these objects! :bow: Both my parents are teachers and researchers at the TU Delft, en my sister studies there. I however, don't study there, but regularly visits the railway station. I am happy to see both the old and new station.

Awesome stations, churches, TU Delft and Ikea! If you need pictures of any of the buildings, I can make them for you :D

Regards,

Delft Trains
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

lol, a rather big part of this community now comes from Delft or has affinity with it :mrgreen:

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:Fantastic work!!
Couple of comments though...
thanks for the kind words and the critique, I think you mentioned the church things to me before, but I hadn't gotten around to fixing them yet.
will do that for the release.
the comments you made about the library are worth checking out. I've not been in much of a mood to draw the last two weeks, but I will get to trying what you suggested.
sanderNL wrote:Wow they look nice! Especially the churches are real craftsmanship
thank you, great to see that your still around.
Delft Trains wrote:Wowowow!! Amazing!!!!
glad you like them.

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Been working mostly on stations lately. But found some time to work on some buildings so what you see in the image is the Beurs van Berlage in Amsterdam, an older wip version of Amsetrdam CS, the building next to Central station that I don't have name for.
And a few of the houses I've been working on for a dutch city set (if I ever get the time to learn to code such a thing)
that's a bout it.
Beurs van Berlage.png
Beurs van Berlage.png (23.76 KiB) Viewed 7790 times
DLOS City AMSTERDAM2.png
(196.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cheers.

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Very beautiful, especially the station on the second picture.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
KahlilGibran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KahlilGibran »

hi, where can i download this newgrf with latest update ?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

KahlilGibran wrote: 06 Dec 2019 10:30 hi, where can i download this newgrf with latest update ?
No further updates have been published.
KahlilGibran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KahlilGibran »

Quast65 wrote: 15 Apr 2017 15:24 Fantastic work!! :bow: :bow:
Couple of comments though.... :twisted:
Churches%20of%20Delft_15042017_Q65_Edit.png
Oude Kerk:
Just a tiny tiny thing, because it already looks very good and it may not need what I am going to suggest, but try not to use the same color when drawing lines, alternate between at least two (tones of) colors. It will make the lines less sharp and will tone down some lines that may look too bright (in this case mostly the line at the very end, going down from the top end point towards the wall).

Nieuwe Kerk:
- Same as above, texturing will certainly improve some of the lines that look too sharp right now. (Mainly the rooflines, windowlines and those dark brown lines in the top of the tower)
- For the rooflines, those are very bright, maybe the color used for the rooflines of the Oude Kerk would be better (in combination with texture)
- I think the color used for the part of the tower just above the red brick is a tad too bright.
- I think one of the clocks is broken ;-)

Maria van Jesse Kerk:
- Same as above, rooflines maybe too bright and those, as well as the windowlines, may be improved with a bit of texture.
- Most importantly, I have made some changes to the top of the two towers (changed some of the positions of the yellow windows a bit, for the left tower only the one facing the sunny side, for the right tower sunny side as well as dark side) Compair it with your version, to exactly see what I changed and to see if these are improvements in your opinion.
4 buildings from TU delft
-Aula/Auditorium:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: That roof and all the little details!!! WOW!!!

-EWI:
Stunning!! Sad that they maybe are planning to tear it down in the future, its a real landmark but sadly getting too old and expensive for practical use... Glad it will be preserved in OpenTTD :mrgreen:
(In Dutch) http://delta.tudelft.nl/artikel/renover ... -ewi/30555

-Faculty of Aerospace Engineering:
My old faculty!! :] (I am not an engineer though, being a student was more interesting than actually studying [insert beer emoticon here] :mrgreen: )

-Library:
That may need some work....... :wink:
First of all, its designed by the same architect firm that designed the new Delft station, that says enough already... So loads of strange angles, lines and shapes....
This website may help a lot:
http://www.mecanoo.nl/Projects/project/ ... nology?t=0
Ok, we need to take the angle at which OpenTTD looks at buildings in account and how that effects the multiple shapes this building has, but mainly these things (in random order) I would like to comment on:
- The overall footprint right now is 3x4 (same as the Aula), it may be better to make that 3x5, so you have a bit more room to make it look less steep and incorporate some more angles/shapes (or make those look more obvious), maybe even 4x5 will be needed.
- Maybe the above is not needed at all though with this change:
With the way it is drawn right now, point-A and point-B are on the same hight and on the same position along the Y-line:
Example237.png
I do believe though that point-B should be lower than point-A and further along the Y-line.
Now, this is where it becomes difficult with the perspective of OpenTTD, how to draw that.... Maybe something like this (very very rough sketch)...
Example238.png
But I think it is better to first roughly determine the X-Y-Z-positions of point-A and B and see what sort of line comes out of that when those are connected. I think the facade facing the sunny side is already pretty good, so point-A is pretty much spot-on, the thing is now to find point-B ;-)
- The angle of the stairs to the entrance, the bottom one looks less steep than the two others, how does it look when you use the bottom angle also for the two others? As I think that right now the entrance looks too steep.
- The cone looks just a bit too small... At least with the size/shape of the grassy roof right now...
Overall, the library may need a bit of a redesign and it may be handy to not draw in the details/textures just yet and see if the overall shape can be improved.

Keep up the great work though, all of this is just awesome!!!
What about this one ?

Return to “Graphics Development”