Silverx50's Workshop

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Silverx50's Workshop

Post by Silverx50 »

Hello all,

welcome to my workshop, here I'll be posting the things I'm working on.
This thread started as the place where I was going to be showing the objects I'm working on, but it has turned into a bit more than that.
You'll find a whole lot of WIPs as I'm like receiving feedback before finalizing my concepts.

the projects I have going on right now are:

1. The Dutch landmark Object Set: a set containing Landmarks found in the Netherlands and a host of bigger buildings.

2. I'm collaborating with Quast65 on adding more stations to his dutch station addition set, so you'll find drawings of dutch stations that we are working on.

3. Also working on adding British landmarks. (not sure if I'll code the set, or Leanden will for his BRset)

4. thinking on doing a dutch city set, but this is a project that will take at least a year.

cheers.
Attachments
DHCO2.png
DHCO2.png (98.46 KiB) Viewed 13867 times
Last edited by Silverx50 on 23 Jul 2016 12:36, edited 8 times in total.
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Silverx50's sets

Post by supermop »

I like the unique style, reminds me of architecture axon drawings from the 80s when everyone was still lovingly making presentation materials with real pens on film.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

On it's own it looks fabulous. But I worry that if you try mixing it with other building sets if it doesn't start to look a bit cartoonish because of the white outlining.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

I hope that isn't the final state of the sprites, some variety in the colours would be nice. This is just all the same white everywhere for example. I understand that it is a certain style of pixel art, but OpenTTD doesn't have that anywhere ... unless you plan on replacing everything, it will look weird.

Also, the size :D
ImageImageImage
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

The buildings and size are spot on!! :bow:
I live near The Hague and have seen these buildings a lot.

It does indeed take up a lot of space, but it does that in real life too, its huge ;-)
So maybe not for games on smaller maps, but in bigger scenarios it can be fitted in.

Regarding the white outlines, the building really has that. However those outlines could be made to look better in the OpenTTD environment.
Keep shading in mind. Right now it is the same white overall, but shaded sides should have a little darker white.
Also try to texture the white a bit, right now the lines are like this:
Example13.png
Example13.png (286 Bytes) Viewed 15047 times
But you can add some pixels with a different shade of white (or grey), to make them look less "cartoony", like this:
Example14.png
Example14.png (292 Bytes) Viewed 15047 times
I know, barely noticable, just an example, if you zoom in you will see the difference. This is just to illustrate what you can try to do and play around with the available colors in the palette and see if you can make it fit in a bit better.
This can also help to make subtle differences in shading.

Regarding your question in the comment above the bigger picture:
is it possible to overide the fact that there is a slope and get the sprite to be drawn as if the slope was not there?
Do you mean these areas?:
Example15.png
Example15.png (42.45 KiB) Viewed 15047 times
Not all sorts of slopes can be covered by stationtiles. Can be covered by object tiles though.
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but keep in mind that it isnt possible to code a station in such a way that there is room for a road/tramtrack to go through it (like in some industries).
To get the station like that, you will have to provide the station in segments. So a part in front of the tramtracks and the part after it.

Finally, I would like to ask you under what license you would like to release your work.
Because if you finish this, I would love to include it into my Dutch-Stations-Addition set!! (depending on your license being compatible with the license my work is released under).
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll work on the shading and texturing if I get time this weekend.

@Quast65: yes those are the areas I meant. I understand that there is no way to code a station in such a way to leave space for the tram track. but I was thinking on creating a single square tile which has an one tile overlap to be able to create the scenario as it exists in real life.

and about the licence under which I release these grf's, I haven't thought about it yet. but I'll release the station under whatever licence that is needed to allow you to use it in the additions set.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

but I was thinking on creating a single square tile which has an one tile overlap to be able to create the scenario as it exists in real life.
That can be done. Although it is a very specific tile for a very specific use.
The best way to design the great hall of the station then could be:
-The segment in front of the tramtracks, without overlaps.
-The segment after the tramtracks
-Segments with overlaps. Not just the overlap for the slopes that I circeld, but also the overlaps further on in the station, the ones where the roof and second floor go over the tramtrack.

Keep in mind that public released grf's will be used by people all over the world that not all know the situation around the real life station. Having the overlaps fixed on the front-segment can create confusion for players that dont know how this station actually looks in real life. Having them as separate segments will hopefully limit that confusion as you then can place some extra information in the purchase-menu (under the name and picture of the tile), explaining the use of these tiles.
I hope that you are not too far yet in drawing those parts of the stations and that you can split it up in these segments.

Furthermore.... What would be very nice, is getting also the other 3 possible views. So, a front view that is simply flipped (and then has to be corrected for the right shading) and two backviews (also in this case, you need to draw one backview and then just flip it and correct for shading). That way the stations can be used in all 4 directions. This could be a lot of work (especially the backviews, as I dont think there are many pictures of those), but gives a lot more options and diversity.
I think your way of drawing makes this possible, especially when I look at the early drawing stage of the entrance to the great hall (it is also how I create new stuff). It looks like you start out with basic blocks that have the general shape and then add the features, textures and shading that makes them look like the real building. By using this early drawing stage it may be easier to also make backviews.

I look forward to your work!! :bow:
and about the licence under which I release these grf's, I haven't thought about it yet. but I'll release the station under whatever licence that is needed to allow you to use it in the additions set.
Here you can find descriptions of the most used licenses for GRFs: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=55814
My Dutch Stations Addition Set is licensed GPLv2, this is because I also used parts from the original Dutch Stations Set (that is also GPLv2).
But also in a nutshell, because I want it to be possible for others to use (parts of) my work without the need of contacting me personally. That way if my computer ever explodes, people can still use my work without waiting for me to reply ;-)
Finally, I already see in the central hall some elements from my set and the original Dutch Station Set (like the stairs, ticketboxes, trashcans and timetable information). Which is ok, because that is why those sets are released under GPL, but (as I understand it, I am not a copyright lawyer ;-) ) that also means that work that uses these elements has to be the same license. That could make your choice for a license a bit easier :twisted:

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

I'll give your suggestion as in how to draw the great hall a try and see how it comes out.

The other 3 views should be possible, and there are many pictures available at the skyscrapercity hollandhoogbouw forums so getting to see what it should look like won't be a problem.
well I'll to get them finished in the coming weeks.

and as to the licencing I'll go with GPL v2.

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

So I've done a little work on the main building of Den Haag centraal and had a question about what fits better. have two red arrows pointing at the window colors which one is preferable?

Second thing I've drawn the overlap, is this the correct way to do it?
Attachments
dh cs mock up test.png
dh cs mock up test.png (221.13 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
DH overlapsmall.png
DH overlapsmall.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 14818 times
DH overlap end.png
DH overlap end.png (5.44 KiB) Viewed 14818 times

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Sorry for the late reply, have been celebrating Kingsnight and Kingsday with the usual hangover the days after that, I dont think I have to explain that to a fellow Dutchman... ;-)
So I've done a little work on the main building of Den Haag centraal and had a question about what fits better. have two red arrows pointing at the window colors which one is preferable?
In my opinion, both dont look that good in the OpenTTD environment right now.... The windows above them have a good color (so the small windows in the brown structure), but the blues you use for the glass at ground level are not that good in my opinion... They are too bright.
Try to take a close look at how other artists have drawn big glass surfaces and what colors they used. That might help.
Second thing I've drawn the overlap, is this the correct way to do it?
Yes, you indeed need to provide a front part (with the overlap) and a back part (to complete the overlap). And in this case, this should work for what you are trying to achieve.
However, regarding the overlap end, you have drawn a wall at the left, this one:
Example18.png
Example18.png (8.07 KiB) Viewed 14690 times
That wall is not needed unless it really is there next to the tramtracks in the real building, but I cant remember if that is the case (I havent been inside the building for a long time, I mostly see the outside of it ;-) )

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:Sorry for the late reply, have been celebrating Kingsnight and Kingsday with the usual hangover the days after that, I dont think I have to explain that to a fellow Dutchman...
hahah no need to explain indeed.
Quast65 wrote:In my opinion, both dont look that good in the OpenTTD environment right now.... The windows above them have a good color (so the small windows in the brown structure), but the blues you use for the glass at ground level are not that good in my opinion... They are too bright.
Try to take a close look at how other artists have drawn big glass surfaces and what colors they used. That might help.
Alright, thanks for the feedback, I'll go take a look and head back to the drawing board on this one.
Quast65 wrote:Yes, you indeed need to provide a front part (with the overlap) and a back part (to complete the overlap). And in this case, this should work for what you are trying to achieve.
However, regarding the overlap end, you have drawn a wall at the left, this one:
Indeed I forgot to take away the wall on the left when putting this one up. Well will keep on working on this. been struggling with the interior for the station pieces a bit. but hope to get some new stuff to show after the weekend.

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Well I'm done with the drawing of the New Babylon building now.
Been trying to learn how to code objects, but it's not yet working for me.

I've used the feedback I got when first posting this image to make changes.
more feedback is welcome.
Attachments
new babylon parts.png
new babylon parts.png (34.95 KiB) Viewed 14448 times
Newbabylon.png
Newbabylon.png (51.88 KiB) Viewed 14448 times

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

kamnet wrote:A marked improvement!
thank you.

Still busy trying to get Den Haag CS to look right. still unhappy with the glass panes.
In the meantime I also did these three buildings. they are drawn as three separate building that when placed next to one another creates the real life scenario.
feedback welcome.

trees courtesy of SAC.
Attachments
Mintorensen de kroon.png
Mintorensen de kroon.png (35.79 KiB) Viewed 14413 times
Last edited by Silverx50 on 16 May 2016 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

:bow: :bow: :bow:
And a very good idea to make New Babylon modular!! That way parts of the buildings can also be used in smaller cities.

Regarding big glass surfaces where you still want to see the insides, there is an option when coding stations that gives a tainted glassy effect like these:
Example19.png
Example19.png (65.59 KiB) Viewed 14402 times
This is for example done by drawing this way:
Example20.png
Example20.png (13.37 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
So basically, you draw the buildings as if they have no glass and add an extra glass layer (drawn with that tint of yellow) over them via the code.
This often gives a better glassy effect for large surfaces.

Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

Quast65 wrote:And a very good idea to make New Babylon modular!! That way parts of the buildings can also be used in smaller cities.
indeed. don't just want it to be used as the complete building alone.
Quast65 wrote:Regarding big glass surfaces where you still want to see the insides, there is an option when coding stations that gives a tainted glassy effect like these:
That is some nice news, I didn't know about that. It should help Den Haag Centraal look even better.
Well back to work.

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

kamnet wrote:A marked improvement!
I'd almost call that an understatement.

Looks awesome now :)
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

This appears to be my first post here, so hello everybody. :)

I am software developer by trade whose one goal here is to learn to make picture art buildings (full disclaimer: I got some visual art education in my childhood). I believe that a good way to learn is an active study of the work of others. This ideal will also reflect from the following.

I like the Haag CS set very much but there is this small something in there that prohibits the full enjoyment. So the following is my attempt to figure this out for myself. I took the opportunity to share it with everybody, so that it would be possible receive criticism from the original author and others.
Hague Builnding Rework Show.png
Hague Builnding Rework Show.png (30.99 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
1. I took this small patch from the high-rise building.
2. First thing that I noticed was that not all floors have the same height. I think I understand the reasoning behind this, but
3. for my purposes I made every floor to have even heights.
4. I think that what is on the left are the balconies. This situation probably would not make the building inspector happy, so I made them a little higher.
5. Other side too.
6. For next I removed the dots that I considered to be part of windows.
7. Balconies on the right side of the building were made higher too.
8. I added new windows as new layer and
9. adjusted the façade a little to make it more similar to the reference building.
10. Finally I added some tint variations to the windows with the gradient tool.

I did not touch triangular windows, but I would probably only use two columns to give more visibility to the windows.

As final semi-legal note, please feel free to use any of this and call it your own.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

luxtram wrote:I like the Haag CS set very much but there is this small something in there that prohibits the full enjoyment. So the following is my attempt to figure this out for myself. I took the opportunity to share it with everybody, so that it would be possible receive criticism from the original author and others.
Hi, I must say I like what you've done. I like the way you made the balconies work and I think I'll rework the building to do it the way you did which makes it look more like the actual building.
it was the first building I drew and there are mistakes in it. the fact that not all floors are the same height is one of them which I was planning to fix when I figured out how to code.
but I'll rework the building with some of your suggestions.

thanks for the feedback

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Silverx50 wrote:Hi, I must say I like what you've done.
I am glad that you found it useful.

I also like your Ministerie Torens en De Kroon set very much. Even more than the first set. :) Hopefully you will get it into playable form one day. :)
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250

Return to “Graphics Development”