NZR Class DE

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

xerxesdaphat
Engineer
Engineer

NZR Class DE

Post by xerxesdaphat »

UPDATE: v1.2 released http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=761527#p761527
UPDATE: v1.1 released http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=761323#p761323

First thing I've drawn since primary school and the first time I've made a GRF.

This is the New Zealand Railways Department Class DE, a diesel shunter that was also used for light freight and passenger service. According to Wikipedia they apparently multiheaded them to haul the Queen around when she visited NZ in the 50s. They're quite pretty IMHO and there's one preserved not far from where I live.

I've done all the alignment to suit the UK Renewal Set; it doesn't match up too badly with DBSet either. Stock TTD carriages etc. have pretty strange alignment so it won't look good with them.

Bound to be plenty of bugs, please let me know what I can improve on, I have heaps to learn.
Attachments
nzrde.grf
v1.0
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 580 times
800px-DE_Class_on_Taieri_Gorge_Railway.jpg
800px-DE_Class_on_Taieri_Gorge_Railway.jpg (200.18 KiB) Viewed 15517 times
Last edited by xerxesdaphat on 01 Feb 2009 13:53, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Registered User #350204
--The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive Ass Slippers
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NZR Class DE

Post by CommanderZ »

Graphics for both OpenTTD and TTDPatch are usually posted in TTDPatch Graphics section. Also, this is OpenTTD dev. section, not graphics section ;)
Roest
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Roest »

CommanderZ wrote: Also, this is OpenTTD dev. section, not graphics section ;)
Hmm the forum is OpenTTD Graphics though.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Roest wrote:
CommanderZ wrote: Also, this is OpenTTD dev. section, not graphics section ;)
Hmm the forum is OpenTTD Graphics though.
I swear it was the dev. section when I posted the reply :o
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

stop swearing, god will be angry at u 8)
Member of the
ImageImage
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Stop going OT, Hyronymus will be mad at u. :mrgreen:
I love beeing a kid. ^^
xerxesdaphat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xerxesdaphat »

Well it's not been tested or written for TTDPatch in any way (not possessing a Windows computer to try it with), so it's really just written for OTTD and if it works with Patch then that's a bonus. One thing that might be funny on Patch is that they don't have the `Allow multiple vehicle sets' thing, do they? This replaces VehID 00, thus wiping out something or other on Patch. On OTTD you can just load it in addition to whatever set you normally play with.

Anyway, somebody try it :lol:

Just noticed once upon a time DanMack nearly started a NZ Set. Tracking table here http://users2.tt-forums.net/danmack/NZSetTable.html Well it took four years but one of the slots has been filled in :P

I think a NZ Set would be quite interesting -- all narrow gauge, low top speeds, low loading gauge, low powered trains but with very hilly terrain.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

xerxesdaphat wrote:Well it's not been tested or written for TTDPatch in any way (not possessing a Windows computer to try it with)
For the umpteenth time! Patchman has not had a Windows box since before he released 2.0.1 alpha 49. Yet somehow he managed to continue, not merely using, but actively developing, TTDPatch.

If he can manage to develop on Linux and Mac, I think you ought to be able to use it on same.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
xerxesdaphat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xerxesdaphat »

DaleStan wrote:For the umpteenth time! Patchman has not had a Windows box since before he released 2.0.1 alpha 49. Yet somehow he managed to continue, not merely using, but actively developing, TTDPatch.

If he can manage to develop on Linux and Mac, I think you ought to be able to use it on same.
Well I'm sorry for offending you by not using your particular brand of the TTD experience :lol:

What does he do? Use wine or something? I'll give it a whirl, that little tool you've got built into it to help with xrel/yrel looks quite useful.

EDIT: Well f*** me with a rake, it actually works. How very retro -- sends me right back to being 9 years old playing TTD on a 486 :P
xerxesdaphat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xerxesdaphat »

I've updated this to v1.1 -- shortened the train in all views to keep to a proper scale (small train, only 11.6 metres). Also happens to be pretty close to 25% shorter than a full-length 32px vehicle, so Action 0's property 21 works correctly. I think.

TTDPatch's fancy GRF alignment tool helped me get the alignment pretty close, but it seems an impossible task to get it perfect; I thought I was going crazy until I looked closely at other sets and realised that I'm not the only one.
Attachments
nzrde.grf
v1.1
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
nzrde.png
nzrde.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 15525 times
xerxesdaphat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xerxesdaphat »

v1.2: Now exhibits the sort of behaviour you'd expect a multi-directional shunter to display -- when the train reverses direction, the engine stays pointing in the same direction. Alignment much better, I think I'm getting the hang of it.
Attachments
nzrde.grf
v1.2
(2.82 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Screenshot-4.png
Screenshot-4.png (241.99 KiB) Viewed 15349 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Excellent start,

Care to do some more of the locos on the list? :P
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

The colors are hardcoded (so no company colors)?
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

CommanderZ wrote:The colors are hardcoded (so no company colors)?
Agreed a separate company colours grf may be an idea in addition to this one...

Hardcoding colours in my opinion is better when you intend to release an entire set of engines where you know that the player is likely to just use engines from your set, as single engine releases will always have to be used with other sets that may not match any hard-coded livery... So allowing single engines to utilise company colours means they can be matched in with what people use in the rest of the game...

Apart from that, i love this engine, i use it with UKRS trains, PBI, and TTRS buildings which it does indeed match very well :D I also frequently use it alongside my BR Class 8's/9's (which may not be very-true-to-life, but hey the Class DE is useful)

I would add it to GRFCrawler now you have a stable, working, release :P

EDIT: I see it's already on the Bananas Content Server :D
xerxesdaphat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xerxesdaphat »

DanMacK wrote:Excellent start,

Care to do some more of the locos on the list? :P
Hah, yeah actually I've been wondering a little bit whether I should be silly enough to attempt a couple more. Might try a steamer next to learn how to draw more complicated shapes and code multiheaded engines -- maybe the Ab class or the Wab tank version of it?
JacobD88 wrote:
CommanderZ wrote:The colors are hardcoded (so no company colors)?
Agreed a separate company colours grf may be an idea in addition to this one...

Hardcoding colours in my opinion is better when you intend to release an entire set of engines where you know that the player is likely to just use engines from your set, as single engine releases will always have to be used with other sets that may not match any hard-coded livery... So allowing single engines to utilise company colours means they can be matched in with what people use in the rest of the game...

Apart from that, i love this engine, i use it with UKRS trains, PBI, and TTRS buildings which it does indeed match very well :D I also frequently use it alongside my BR Class 8's/9's (which may not be very-true-to-life, but hey the Class DE is useful)

I would add it to GRFCrawler now you have a stable, working, release :P

EDIT: I see it's already on the Bananas Content Server :D
Glad somebody's getting some use out of it :P I might give the company colours thing a whirl -- personally, I prefer to play with DBSet with its lack of company colours (I like the variety), but you make a good point that there's only one loco slotting into somebody else's set.

I'll have to try and make that red, striped livery achievable with company colours -- it was used on a few different locos and I always thought it was very pretty (especially with a fresh coat of paint like in the first post).

Yeah it's on the content server -- that was easy enough -- but GRFCrawler seems to be having a few troubles when uploading pictures. I think uploading the grf worked at a minimum.

Cheers.
railman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by railman »

Beautiful locomotive and very nice drawing of them, :) very useful.
But something strange happens at me: as a narrow gauge locomotive is not exist in narrow gauge locomotives list, but in standard gauge. Is that a bug ?
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

railman wrote:Beautiful locomotive and very nice drawing of them, :) very useful.
But something strange happens at me: as a narrow gauge locomotive is not exist in narrow gauge locomotives list, but in standard gauge. Is that a bug ?
Why!! Why would you bring this up after 7 years of inactivity!?
railman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by railman »

Leanden wrote:Why!! Why would you bring this up after 7 years of inactivity!?
F*CK! I don't see the date. But who really cares... 8)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Leanden wrote:Why!! Why would you bring this up after 7 years of inactivity!?
Why, does seven years of inactivity make the question about this specific NewGRF invalid? 8)
railman wrote:Beautiful locomotive and very nice drawing of them, :) very useful.

Not a bug. This vehicle simply wasn't coded to require support for the narrow gauge rail NewGRF.
railman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by railman »

kamnet wrote:Not a bug. This vehicle simply wasn't coded to require support for the narrow gauge rail NewGRF.
Why not? This is made for NZR 1067mm gauge. So its clearly a nice narrow gauge locomotive! :)

Return to “Graphics Development”