Dutch Trainset v2.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Which DMU do you find better looking

Poll ended at 06 Feb 2013 11:59

DE-III (plan U): http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_U
38%
DE-IV (Ram): http://www.stichtingtee.nl/nl/trein/geschiedenis
63%

Total votes: 24

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Trainset v2.0 being developed

Post by Voyager One »

You're kidding me?!?
*facepalm*
Attachments
Rotterdam RSG3 Type R.PNG
Rotterdam RSG3 Type R.PNG (20.29 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
atraingamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by atraingamer »

Hi,

I am new on the forum. And enjoying you're trainset for quite some time. Only since a recently i am trying to go 32 bit. You have ambitions to evolve you're trainset to a 32 bit version?

grettings
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Seems the infosheet went MIA. Is there anyone who still has a copy?

atraingamer wrote:You have ambitions to evolve you're trainset to a 32 bit version?
Not at the moment.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

FooBar wrote:Seems the infosheet went MIA. Is there anyone who still has a copy?
There is an old copy in the repository, but I guess that one is horribly out of date. Who was the owner of the original spreadsheet?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Yes, found the old one. As you say that is indeed very outdated. Can't remember who owned the google docs entry. I suppose it's either Hyronymus or Purno, both who haven't been around here for some months.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Sorry, I've looked everywhere and I don't have it... :(
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

I got another relivery job. ;) The GVB M4/S3 metros are now also running in R-Net livery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1YjiiUX7fg
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Also, I did the NS Intercity livery of the Traxx locos by myself long time ago already, but never got to posting it here before. I made two versions: one with a lighter and one with a darker blue. I put on some ICR coach sprites to show how they look like together. I think I personally prefer the lighter blue one. What do you guys think? And is it sufficient at all to be used in the Dutch Trainset?
Attachments
Darker blue
Darker blue
TRAXXF140MS2_NS-ICD_v2-darker-blue.png (10.56 KiB) Viewed 7441 times
Lighter blue
Lighter blue
TRAXXF140MS2_NS-ICD_v3-lighter-blue.png (10.57 KiB) Viewed 7441 times
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I haven't seen one of those locs in some time, but IIRC, the blue of the loc is the same as that of the other trains, and based on your screenshots the darker one seems to match closer to it, although it does not really make that big a difference for me.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Yes, the blue of the locos and the ICR coaches are the same in prototype.

I should note that I only used different shades of blue on the sprites as shown in the examples I put in bottom right. The sprites with 'lighter blue' actually use the same blue as the ICR coaches do in their respective directions, but I agree that somehow the darker blue looks closer to the ICR blue. I remember now back then I made a set of sprites with darker shades of blue because the light blue appeared a bit bright, although it should technically be the right colour. Personally I find both acceptable, so you're free to use them in the set.
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Continuing from the release thread...

Here's the list of passenger rolling stock that has yet to be included in this set:

Traxx BR186: NS Intercity livery (sprites done)
LINT: Veolia Transport Limburg, Arriva Limburg, Arriva Vechtdallijnen
GTW 2/8: Connexxion Valleilijn
FLIRT3 2-car: R-NET, Arriva Limburg
FLIRT3 3-car: NS Sprinter
FLIRT3 4-car: NS Sprinter
VIRM 4-car: new post-renewal livery
RET Type SG3: R-NET livery (sprites done)
GVB M4/S3 metro: R-NET livery

Voyager One did the RET SG3. His sprites are on the top of this very page.

I did the Traxx in NS livery myself. Only need to know which is the preferred version of the two versions I posted a few posts back. Then I can look for the original files on my pc. Hopefully I did not mess up the indexed colours, I'm still a bit new in that world. :P

I should be able to get to finishing the LINT Veolia livery at some point and maybe will get to some other liveries as well, but I found most on this list to be too difficult to get any acceptable result. I'm also unconfident in making completely new sprites, so for new trains I think we will have to count on someone else.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Voyager One wrote:Sorry, I've looked everywhere and I don't have it... :(
You mean this one?
Attachments
Dutch Trainset Infosheet v1.00.xlsx
(258.01 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Is this trainset still being worked on, or is the development officially dead?
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

For myself I can say I'm not working on it now but development never really stopped for me. And though I lost track with GRF coding and the new oppurtinities for vehicle sets I do sometimes ponder about dedicating time for v.3.0. The current version does have its limitations and rooms for improvement.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Ah. I would love to see the project continued. I might even contribute some stuff if development were to continue.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I think a severe recode is needed first and I have no clue who is willing to take that upon him / her.
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

Would be great if the project was continued/restarted! Especially with the new developments with NS and other railroad operators. Also further integration with FIRS would be nice.

Can't be of much help though. Not much of a coder, and I tried sprites once... maybe beta-testing? :lol:
Can someone bring me a new pixel? This one 's dead.
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

Hey guys,

I've been using the Dutch Train Set for a while now, and the more I've been using it, the more inconsistencies I seem to find regarding the rolling stock :-)

To start, this is a great NewGRF, absolutely love it. It's amazing. But time has passed, VIRM's have been modernised, FLIRT's have been introduced, The Sprinter Nieuwe Generatie is already riding around, with the Intercity Nieuwe Generatie just around the corner.
A lot has changed, so it seems to me it is a great time to try and update the modpack!

Now, am I just some enthousiast that doesn't know where to start? Luckily not.

For a start, I've done very minor edits regarding some capacities of trains (especially the ICM's, they seemed to have been undercut by about 50 seats, which was such a dip in capacity that they become unviable in lots of games very fast), as well as some plans for a general setup of the rolling stock.
Between the editing and compiling I've been digging around in the code, and it's a bit inconsistent, but I might be able to reverse engineer a lot of it. I'm a second year Computer Science student, so I'm familiar with programming. My first idea is that it would not be that tremendously hard to:

-Tweak the existing rolling stock, by implementing the yellow/blue NS 186 paintjob, and possibly by adding 1st/2nd class variants of some carriages?
-Copy files, assign new ID's, en gradually change the new files to work towards new rolling stock, such as the FLIRT, SNG and ICNG (Hopefully copying, assigning new ID's and gradually editing will do the trick. If not, we'll work it out :D )
-Add moar extra stuff! (Think of the VIRMm paintjob etc.)

If I (and others perhaps) are able to get this down, I'd gladly share my ideas regarding the directions this might go.

What I've come up with at this moment are two approaches:

The rolling stock will be extended, the code will be made more consistent (this requires rewriting A LOT of code). New rolling stock will be added in the same way as the current rolling stock, namely realistic MU's. For instance, a FLIRT will only be available in the way it really exists.

However, the more I thought about that, while being true to reality, it also takes away the freedom to design your own MU's. Another suggestion would be, but might be a bit radical, to add each type of carriage per type of train individually. This will open up the possibilty to, say, design a ICM of VIRM that consists of 5 carriages! :twisted:
But with great power comes great responsibility, because for as far as I know, this opens a rabbithole where one type of carriage, say a VIRM carriages, can be any of the existing 5/7 carriages types (depends on the way you count). This is already a lot, but keep in mind that paintjobs are a thing. Let's say there's 7 paintjobs/refits, tha would mean a VIRM carriage needs 49 different refits to cover all possibilties, which seems like an afwul lot to me. Implementing each carriages individually would solve this problem, at the expense of vehicle list cluttering.

The first option seems straightforward to me, but limiting to the creative mind that knows what it's doing. The second option give total freedom and throws any carriage restrictions out of the window, at the expense that you really must know what you're doing.

The first approach keeps everything as is, while the second approach makes it possible to think up of any train you might like to think of, such as an ICM/VIRM Hybrid :P

I would like to hear from people who think they might be able to contribute to this project. As far as I'm concerned, I'll continue searching the internet for more information on all trains, maybe building a datasheet that comprises everything.

Please provide feedback regarding the approaches, and suggest things that I might have overlooked thus far!

:D

Edit: Progress has been made in understanding the code, and I've managed to duplicate a coach :D

Another edit: I'm slowly getting the hang of the code, how the graphics are built up, what defines the amount of coaches of an EMU etc. Overall the code isn't that bad, buit since things are split up in smaller files, you need to search around a bit :D

Another another edit: My respect for the original devs has increased tremendously! Now that I'm used to reading the files I've started to notice all the details I haven't noticed before, such as the opened ICM heads on older liveries. They did an amazing job!

Yet Another edit: I've made some mockup sprites for the VIRMm painjob...
Attachments
Cloning Coaches
Cloning Coaches
Result.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
VIRMm mockup
VIRMm mockup
VIRMm mockup.png (791 Bytes) Viewed 5050 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Thanks for the compliments, I hope the rest of the team who worked on v2 reads them too. I know little off the code structure so if you say that it's complicated I believe you. But then again, we did pull off some neat things like the head doors you mentioned.

I agree that there is an unbalance in the set and capacities are one of them for sure. In early starts there is also little variation in steam engines where for later times we might have been too abundant. I gladly help you with finding details on rolling stock and thinking about a new "best practise" for how to include trains.
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

Hyronymus wrote:Thanks for the compliments, I hope the rest of the team who worked on v2 reads them too. I know little off the code structure so if you say that it's complicated I believe you. But then again, we did pull off some neat things like the head doors you mentioned.

I agree that there is an unbalance in the set and capacities are one of them for sure. In early starts there is also little variation in steam engines where for later times we might have been too abundant. I gladly help you with finding details on rolling stock and thinking about a new "best practise" for how to include trains.
Thanks for the quick response! :-)

I've been tweaking around a little with the files, and I've managed to add the VIRMm mockup to the NewGRF

All in all, most things don't seem to complicated. The NML code really is a good read compared to C++. By logical reasoning I've copied some datastructures, changed the names, temporarily removed most language files, added the new entries, and that all worked in one go. THe most troubling so far was creating a PNG that was readable by the compiler, luckily I got the hang of that now ;-)

Concerning the rolling stock, it seems there have been way more steam engines than currently implemented, but 100 of them might also be a little overkill, since most series were only comprised of not more than a few of the same engines. We'll get to that later :P

I'd say choice is a good thing, as long as it doesn't clutter the refit list as well as the vehicle list. What I'm doing right now is just some tooling around to get the hang of stuff, but I think it would a decent approach to list as much of the rolling stock we can find, list all variants of each rolling stock, and then think of a way to implement it?

A suggestion would be that we might provide different approaches in the NewGRF as settings. Before starting a game, one might set up the NewGRF to only provide standard exisiting rolling stock, while experienced users and hardcore fans might rather prefer individual carriages?

We'll get there at some point, for now, let's do some groundwork :D

Edit: Implemented all sides of the VIRMm, but I think it might need a little rework
Attachments
A modernised VIRM
A modernised VIRM
Screenshot from 2019-02-16 11-25-03.png (8.54 KiB) Viewed 5036 times
Modernised VIRM from the side
Modernised VIRM from the side
Screenshot from 2019-02-16 12-35-43.png (10.15 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
The sprites, for anyone interested
The sprites, for anyone interested
IRM_renewal.png (59.71 KiB) Viewed 5023 times

Return to “Graphics Development”