[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Awesometrains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.1

Post by Awesometrains »

HMM now wouldn't this be helpful :
Last edited by planetmaker on 25 Dec 2015 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed attachment. NEVER post 3rd-party content, if you do not own the rights for distribution. You do not own the rights of what you tried to distribute. Any further digression will incur at least a warning. We'll discuss whether this is worth one.
Qa'pla!
Awesometrains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Awesometrains »

Awesometrains wrote:HMM now wouldn't this be helpful :
how is that 3rd party? its original ttd music (probably you already have it)
Qa'pla!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Awesometrains wrote:
Exactly. And OpenTTD is not TTD. Do you own the rights to distribute the game? Did you buy that from Chris Sawyer? Or in this case from the composer(s) and performer(s)? Otherwise any distribution of their content is plain that: a copyright violation which you became liable of and which we would become liable of as well, if we allow that violation to persist. Your thoughtless behaviour thus not only puts you into risk to receive a cease and desist order but also us who take care about the game and these forums.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you didn't make it yourself, then it is 3rd party. Unless you explicitly have a license to re-distribute it, then doing violates the law in nearly every country of the globe. The entire reason for the OpenMSX project is so that we could replace the original TTD music with a set of music that was created by people who willingly agree to have their work redistributed.
Awesometrains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Awesometrains »

planetmaker wrote:
Awesometrains wrote:
Exactly. And OpenTTD is not TTD. Do you own the rights to distribute the game? Did you buy that from Chris Sawyer? Or in this case from the composer(s) and performer(s)? Otherwise any distribution of their content is plain that: a copyright violation which you became liable of and which we would become liable of as well, if we allow that violation to persist. Your thoughtless behaviour thus not only puts you into risk to receive a cease and desist order but also us who take care about the game and these forums.
maybe you can ask chris sawyer if OpenTTD can use the original TTD files
Qa'pla!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Considering he's still using them in Transport Tycoon for iOS and Android, I doubt he would be interested in a competitor using them. Plus, by law we would have to pay royalty fees and performance fees. OpenTTD doesn't have that kind of cash laying around for a free game.
GeneralCamo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GeneralCamo »

Are contributions still being accepted for OpenMSX? I may have a few compositions in MIDI for this project.

Also, I'm considering improving some of the percussion lines for some of the tracks. I believe this is acceptable under the license the tracks were made and released under, though I only really wanted to modify the tracks made in the community, as there isn't much of a point modifying tracks that would get replaced eventually.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

GeneralCamo wrote:Are contributions still being accepted for OpenMSX? I may have a few compositions in MIDI for this project.

Also, I'm considering improving some of the percussion lines for some of the tracks. I believe this is acceptable under the license the tracks were made and released under, though I only really wanted to modify the tracks made in the community, as there isn't much of a point modifying tracks that would get replaced eventually.
Feel free to post what you have. The more community-contributed content, the better!
GeneralCamo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GeneralCamo »

Not at all a fan of the percussion line as it stands on Modern Motion. The Snare Drum being played on eighth notes constantly overpowers the mix, and there really isn't too many fills as how a real Drum Kit player would add to a piece.

Here is my version as it stands. Still working on it, can't figure out a decent ending for it. Also, still contemplating the mid-section, which I currently have as a shuffle of sorts, but it might be too busy. I dunno, here it is.
Attachments
modern_motion_gcmixV1.mid
Version 1 Modern Motion GeneralCamo Percussion
(31.94 KiB) Downloaded 3338 times
Mr. Ksoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr. Ksoft »

GeneralCamo wrote:Not at all a fan of the percussion line as it stands on Modern Motion. The Snare Drum being played on eighth notes constantly overpowers the mix, and there really isn't too many fills as how a real Drum Kit player would add to a piece.

Here is my version as it stands. Still working on it, can't figure out a decent ending for it. Also, still contemplating the mid-section, which I currently have as a shuffle of sorts, but it might be too busy. I dunno, here it is.
Original author here (after many years away!). I wrote that song in high school and the midi version is actually an automated conversion from the original FL Studio file. Needless to say, a lot of the percussion came out differently and I never fixed it because I figured it sounded okay and I wanted to make a contribution to the project. That said, my musical skills have not really improved in the last decade, so you have my full blessing to make whatever improvements you want to my track :). The one you posted is already a big improvment. Thanks!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Is this project still open for new submissions?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

lobster wrote:Is this project still open for new submissions?
Always!
DevanWolf
Engineer
Engineer

[Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.2

Post by DevanWolf »

I noticed the MIDI data for all of the songs in OpenMSX have unoptimized data in them. Like the error found in tttheme2.mid the track with the jazz guitar in it is supposed to be channel 8 not 6, that I fixed. I decided to do this to help reduce file size. During this process, I realized during this MIDI editing process that Trolley Trev's 'Keep on Rolling' now plays correctly, so like "Replace 'Big Man Boogie' with fixed version of 'Keep on Rolling' (fixed by Devan Wolf)" (Also changed source download link in readme file)

Please support my 0.3.2 release to public! (Otherwise redundant MIDI data is sent when people use the old 0.3.1!)
Attachments
openmsx-0.3.2-all.zip
New version of OpenMSX 0.3.2 (build by me for staff review)
(129.8 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
openmsx-0.3.2-source.tar.gz
OpenMSX 0.3.2 (Source by me for staff review)
(134.27 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Thanks for the fixed files! OpenMSX is now hosted on GitHub here - if you're able to clone the repository and submit a pull request, that's probably the easiest way of getting your changes in. If necessary then I'm sure somebody could volunteer to do that on your behalf, but if you can give it a shot, that would be best.
kamnet

Re: [Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.2

Post by kamnet »

DevanWolf wrote:I noticed the MIDI data for all of the songs in OpenMSX have unoptimized data in them. Like the error found in tttheme2.mid the track with the jazz guitar in it is supposed to be channel 8 not 6, that I fixed. I decided to do this to help reduce file size. During this process, I realized during this MIDI editing process that Trolley Trev's 'Keep on Rolling' now plays correctly, so like "Replace 'Big Man Boogie' with fixed version of 'Keep on Rolling' (fixed by Devan Wolf)" (Also changed source download link in readme file)

Please support my 0.3.2 release to public! (Otherwise redundant MIDI data is sent when people use the old 0.3.1!)
Could you check all the rest of the files to ensure that they are also optimized?
DevanWolf
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [Base Music] OpenMSX v0.3.2

Post by DevanWolf »

One more update to the 0.3.2 release of OpenMSX. I finally used Trolley Trev's revision 3 of Keep on Rolling and optimized it too!
Attachments
openmsx-0.3.2-all.zip
OpenMSX 0.3.2 hotfixed
(129.59 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
openmsx-0.3.2-source.tar.gz
(134.1 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
DevanWolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DevanWolf »

Oh, and the pull request for releasing 0.3.2 is still available here.
thekyo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thekyo »

You have midi from the song "05. Little Blue Box Car".

I didn't find this MIDI song and it's my favorite song!

Thanks!
Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wuzzy »

@thekyo: The track you are searching for used to be in version 0.2.1 of OpenMSX, but was removed due to technical problems. Here's a link to the track: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenMSX/blob ... ox_car.mid

Hello, everyone! There has been recently some work in OpenMSX to hopefully get a next release going eventually. The next version will finally bring back the great track “Keep on Rolling” by Trolley Trev (this was removed in a previous version due to technical problems). I guess also a couple of new translations will be included as well because recently, OpenMSX has been added to the [url=https://translator.openttd.org/]Web Translator[/ur].

But there is a lot of work behind the scenes, mainly to rework the build system, because as it turns out, the OpenMSX repository has become quite old and dusty, with lots of ancient script files from long forgotten times lying around. :D This made it impossible to do a proper new release for a while, but we're working on it. I have done a little bit, others have done a little bit. I believe we also need to figure out whether the MIDI files have any corruptions, just to make sure the files will work on all systems, I guess. But I am NOT a MIDI expert.

DevanWolf's contribution still has not been merged completely (only the Keep on Rolling so far) because nobody really understands most of DevanWolf's changes. We need someone who actually understands MIDI, in order to verify and review DevanWolf's files. Sadly, DevanWolf has been pretty silent lately, I hope you could explain more in detail what you did. I think the OpenTTD developers are just very reluctant in blindly accepting binary files without knowing what will be changed. ;)

Anyway, if anyone wants to help, head over to https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenMSX/ and look at the issues or pull requests. Someone who knows their MIDI stuff would be greatly appreciated.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I think there's a few things that need to take place before we can get to 1.0.0:

1. Evaluate the music that has been submitted since 0.3.1
2. Figure out which of Jim Redfarn's music we want to remove to include the community submissions
3. Have somebody who can technically examine every MIDI file go through them all and make sure they are proper and won't cause issues going forward, and if they're technically flawed, fix them.

Return to “General OpenTTD”