Pineapple Trains (10cc) - 32bpp/ez train set (1.3, July '15)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Pineapple Trains (10cc) - 32bpp/ez train set (1.3, July '15)

Post by PikkaBird »

R2T9 wrote:On your blog you mentioned Pineapple Ships and Pineapple Road Vehicles. How is their development coming? Will they be released separately or in the base set?
Well, the development plan has changed slightly since the kickstarter didn't take off. :) I have a few ideas going forward that I'll write more about soon. At the moment I'm very busy with university work.
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

I have a few ideas going forward that I'll write more about soon.
How's it coming?

Any updates in the works for Pineapple Trains?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

R2T9 wrote:
I have a few ideas going forward that I'll write more about soon.
How's it coming?

Any updates in the works for Pineapple Trains?
Like Pikka said in their last post, they're very busy with University
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

NekoMaster wrote:Like Pikka said in their last post, they're very busy with University
Yes, all of us.

I am busy with uni (and a few other things, like working out how I'm going to pay my bills), and will be for some time, but it would definitely be a shame for the work done on the other parts of Pineapple (the tracks, the road vehicles, etc...) to go to waste. So there will be more - I just can't say when. :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Sad thing is that I got tons of time, but no skills for 3D or coding, and it's not easy for someone like me to pick up stuff like that unlike some people. Doesnt help I'm lazy and unmotivated
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

So there will be more - I just can't say when.
I understand the work load. But certainly let us know as soon as possible, because we are waiting for news. Best of luck in university work and bill paying.
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

PikkaBird wrote:Well, the development plan has changed slightly since the kickstarter didn't take off. :) I have a few ideas going forward that I'll write more about soon. At the moment I'm very busy with university work.
As a alternative to Kickstarter, you could consider funding through Patreon instead. That said, don't let it be a distraction from your studies. :)
dequire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dequire »

Ailure wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:Well, the development plan has changed slightly since the kickstarter didn't take off. :) I have a few ideas going forward that I'll write more about soon. At the moment I'm very busy with university work.
As a alternative to Kickstarter, you could consider funding through Patreon instead. That said, don't let it be a distraction from your studies. :)
I mentioned this in another thread as well...Patreon might actually be a better model for this kind of work as compared to Kickstarter. Food for thought.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Where are the diesels and steam engines differentiated from each other?...the game I have been using Pineapple trains in does not specify type in the New Vehicle menu.
I gather I have violated my personal never-buy-a-diesel rule but without clear evidence I'm considering them honorary steam at least...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I gather I have violated my personal never-buy-a-diesel rule
I'm sorry to hear that.

While the real-world advantages of steam vs diesel may be represented in more realistic sets, fictitious Pineapple Trains draw no such distinctions. All the trains' properties are calculated using the same formula, whether they outwardly appear to be steam, diesel, or electric.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

PikkaBird wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:I gather I have violated my personal never-buy-a-diesel rule
I'm sorry to hear that.

While the real-world advantages of steam vs diesel may be represented in more realistic sets, fictitious Pineapple Trains draw no such distinctions. All the trains' properties are calculated using the same formula, whether they outwardly appear to be steam, diesel, or electric.
I like hi-res illustrations AND realism,but try to skip both diesels and monorails in my games.Anyway,this game is not all-Pineapple but has a pretty significant Pineapple component,and having established from this thread that the Shark is a diesel have been aggressively replacing them with VFTs...
Attachments
TradingburyMountainR.R.Co.,1stJul2002.sav
(3.98 MiB) Downloaded 160 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

So is the Unity VFT the "climax" engine of Pineapple Trains?...leaving none that can pull the 175 mph wagons at full speed or require faster ones for their own full speed?

As it is I'm forced to replace my VFTs with 2ccTrainsinNML alternatives (cf. Shinkansen 700 or AGVs) when they expire.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Baldy's Boss wrote:So is the Unity VFT the "climax" engine of Pineapple Trains?...leaving none that can pull the 175 mph wagons at full speed
Unless you're three years out of date, the VFT does 175 mph.

Nevertheless, it's an interesting illustration in player psychology. Would you feel "forced" to replace the VFTs if the carriage speeds matched, or if the carriages had no listed speed limit at all?
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

The game I've been playing uses 1.2,I have now upgraded my NewGRF Settings to use 1.3 for new games.

I only replace an engine with an upgrade.I can't get to 2051 without replacing VFTs and Pineapple offers no upgrades.
In my game the VFTs go 150 mph...if in future games they do 175 and still are introduced at the same time,I'll still be scrapping them before 2051 with no upgrade path.
Holyhong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Holyhong »

Hey Pikka,

any further news regarding your Train set(s)?

Best regards
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

On the train front I'm currently working on UKRS3, which is a much more sensible implementation of 32bpp/ez than Pineapple Trains ever was. :)
Holyhong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Holyhong »

Nice to see you are back on the tracks ;)

Personally, I prefer your 3D rendered (32bpp) trains. Nevertheless, your projects are always nice to follow.
However, if you ever digging into 3D trains again, just let me know, I am willing to support you in such a project as a patreon :)

Cheers
Steamtrainboy55
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steamtrainboy55 »

This set is amazing, but I have a question, what is the best NewGRF/GRF to run these trains with, since they look out of place in a default map

Return to “Graphics Releases”