Cities: Skylines

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cities: Skylines

Post by Pyoro »

I seriously doubt that. I really don't think any of the mods I use are crucial to having 125k pop and while I build slowly, so the city grows slowly, I don't see it stop growing any time soon. A friend of mine is at 200k. And I've seen a lot of bigger cities, although I never checked whether they use mods or not ...

Personally I didn't buy the addon so far. Taxis and bikes sound nice, but not that nice. I'll wait for a deal ;)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

YNM wrote:(does anyone know where the savegame is located ?)
I'm not actually playing this game, but I do have it on my wishlist. Savegame location is probably My Documents or something, most games make a folder around there to store stuff, although some have the tendency to store it somewhere in AppData (might need hidden files to be visible).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote:(does anyone know where the savegame is located ?)
If you're using Windows 7 to 10, it should be in the below
C:\Users\{YOUR_USERNAME}\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Saves

Cities_Skylines folder also contains addons, maps and screenshots.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pyoro wrote:I seriously doubt that. I really don't think any of the mods I use are crucial to having 125k pop and while I build slowly, so the city grows slowly, I don't see it stop growing any time soon. A friend of mine is at 200k. And I've seen a lot of bigger cities, although I never checked whether they use mods or not ...
I'm thinking that soon enough my metro network would kind of doomed... No room to goes a different level is, well... A disadvantage IMO; where were the last time you see metro system goes only in a level ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Hum. I'm not sure the Munich Metro has more than one level, to be honest. ^^ Maybe a few crossings somewhere, but game-wise I don't think it matters too much if you just build level-Metro-crossings ...

I don't use Metros too much. Just sort of for mid-distance connections, everything else is bus-connected. And I feel that ultimately in terms of city growth the most important connections are industry ones, anyways, and they don't care too much about public transportation ...

Well, traffic and transportation map screens of my city - probably not the best example on account that it kinda started out as a ridiculous joke idea with pedestrian walkways everywhere, but it works, so ...
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 9A83847FF/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 6892B7908/
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

This topic got me playing some more. Fun is being had.
Attachments
2015-10-25_00004.jpg
(586.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Bad Hair Day wrote:This topic got me playing some more. Fun is being had.
Ugh. As much as I try, I can never get pretty road layouts that look that good.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Redirect Left wrote:
Bad Hair Day wrote:This topic got me playing some more. Fun is being had.
Ugh. As much as I try, I can never get pretty road layouts that look that good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY4jAvYg94s
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Thanks to you all guys, I've imported the old savegame... Now it's just about crossing 62k population. The update is really nice that at last there're road and rail tunnels, more than one level too ! Helps with some metro junctions and makes the city looks nice too.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Some screenies from my previous game with 1.1.

I was further in the game but lost 1/4 of my city due to a savegame corruption.
Attachments
previous_incomplete_overview.png
(3.52 MiB) Not downloaded yet
previous_central_junction.png
(3 MiB) Not downloaded yet
previous_load_balancing.png
(2.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

And here some screenies from a new game I started with 1.2.

Progress is slow because of the game blessing me with carsicknes right now.
Attachments
current_residential_and_commercial.png
(2.99 MiB) Not downloaded yet
current_industrial.png
(2.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
current_outside_connections.png
(2.54 MiB) Not downloaded yet
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Do pedestrian walkways actually contribute to anything other than making things look better?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I've build an entire city making sure everything is connected with walkways and I can tell you that they are used like crazy -
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 86FAC4486/
what I can't tell you is whether it actually makes a difference in terms of traffic etc. Would they just use the sidewalks instead? ^^;

They might make a difference for places where people otherwise can't cross things - railways, rivers, motorways - but I'm not sure it has an actual gameplay impact for inner city transportation :?

€: I suppose I could get a conclusive answer if I razed them all and checked whether it changed anything. But I think I'm not up for the challenge - there's A LOT of them xD
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Chrill wrote:Do pedestrian walkways actually contribute to anything other than making things look better?
They significantly improve the throughput of junctions for cars where lots of people cross on foot.
Last known as: Weirdy
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Pyoro wrote:I've build an entire city making sure everything is connected with walkways and I can tell you that they are used like crazy -
A DB train just casually slides below the giant bridge :P
›Did you use the strictoaster grid method or your railyard? I think it worked well.
Jetrain
YATTC
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Did I do what? ^^;;;

Train station is working ... to some extend. I don't like solutions that I don't feel are at least somewhat realistic (which is completely ridiculous in a city where every single house is connected via an elevated footpath, 98% build in some grid pattern ... total realism there ^^), so with the outside connections it's inevitably a bit of a mess:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 92FD61F46/
But trains don't get stuck and all lines are used to some sensible degree so it's OK. Could be worse. Don't think passenger trains have much use, though, to be honest, strictly gameplay-wise speaking. Just use buses and metros ^^;
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Ladies and gents ... an update has been released for Cities Skylines.
I am pretty sure you will find your ways towars the changelogs.

Anyhoo that is not what I wanted to post about right now.

I just wanted to warn my friends overhere about a possible breach of privacy if attention is not being payed.
Personal information, such as real names and adresses, may be unintentionally leaked when you upload your output_log.txt files.

More info here
http://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/di ... 623605458/
and here
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... t-20179007 .

For as far as I am aware, the inclusion/disclosure of this info is unintentional and you should remove it from your output_log files before posting it anywhere.
Devs are looking into the issue and a fix should be available asap ... whenever that may be.

Disclaimer:
I have not looked at that paradox link myself ... plugins for my brower prevent the page from loading and I promised myself I would never disable a plugin again if a site refuses to load like any normal other one does.

Regards and stay safe,
your local tripple-layered-tin-foil-hat wearing nutcase, :P
ChillCore.

ps:
I take not credits for discovery of the above I am merely relaying the info available to me at this point in time.

pps:
Off to testing now ... since I did not provide personal info ... nothing can be leaked, intentional or intentional (and unintentional also). 8)

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Reminds me how me and the guy on Steam that we work on the same game together have a shared dropbox folder with the latest builds on it, and I accidentally forgot to turn off the automatic output_log.txt thing making itself every time either of us launches the game. It's got PC specs in it, so we got to laugh at each other's hardware choices (nVidia vs AMD scenario emerged).

I think Unity has a world domination scheme going on with that file, seeing as it evolves itself to spread more and more personal information without even the developers knowing.

Failing that, they just resort to infecting the internet with the horrible, horrible hack that is their networking, making all otherwise stable connections time out without any reason whatsoever, crippling pretty much the entire web without any way for anyone to do anything about it but the Unity guys, who of course will just resort to calling it a "future Unity N+1 improvement" for 4 years only for it to turn out to be just the same crappy deal with just a fancier wrapping.

Closed source :roll:

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

And a hotfix is now available for the issue I mentioned in my previous post.
Who said they can't be fast if they really want to. :P

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... t-20183538

For those of us that have plugins ... somone was kind enough to quote the post where the above link points to:
Gordon Dry said: ↑

Attention:

your real name and address is now inside the output_log.txt

This has now been hotfixed.

posted by co admin

Drury wrote: Reminds me how me and the guy on Steam that we work on the same game together have a shared dropbox folder with the latest builds on it, and I accidentally forgot to turn off the automatic output_log.txt thing making itself every time either of us launches the game. It's got PC specs in it, so we got to laugh at each other's hardware choices (nVidia vs AMD scenario emerged).

I think Unity has a world domination scheme going on with that file, seeing as it evolves itself to spread more and more personal information without even the developers knowing.

Failing that, they just resort to infecting the internet with the horrible, horrible hack that is their networking, making all otherwise stable connections time out without any reason whatsoever, crippling pretty much the entire web without any way for anyone to do anything about it but the Unity guys, who of course will just resort to calling it a "future Unity N+1 improvement" for 4 years only for it to turn out to be just the same crappy deal with just a fancier wrapping.

Closed source :roll:
Having system specs in a log file is fine .... personal info not so much.

What happened here is no fault of Unity ... it was the game fetching data from the paradox/collosal order servers when checking to see if they can allow you to use the DLC stuff (that everybody has on their pc btw) or not and inserting that data in the log file.

Always online BS, unwanted tracking and unneeded collecting of personal info :roll:

Anyhoo issue fixed, for now.

Edit:
I can see again too, without getting a migraine from here till Tokyo. Woot

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Meh, die Paradox Account Login is entirely optional - I've never, not once, used it with any PI games. But what's the point of login in if it then doesn't check online? ^^; Stands to reasons that's it there for something ...

Return to “Off-Topic”