Cities: Skylines

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cities: Skylines

Post by Pyoro »

Well, after playing some moar I'm not sure I find the DLC disappointing or not. The city does look awesome at night, which does matter in a city builder, but gameplay-wise it's a bit cobbled together, doesn't make much sense and doesn't have the impact it should have. In OTTD, I think a "night" wouldn't have been implemented like this since clearly they haven't fully thought it through ^^
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Well at least this still works

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Drury wrote:Well at least this still works

That needs to be fixed x)
Jetrain
YATTC
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

That is just good use of the available space. Does remind me of Inception however.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

This game just never ceases to amaze

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Drury wrote:This game just never ceases to amaze
Wow, that's even BETTER than OpenTTD! :bow:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Depends on whether you rather have crazy ships or a "ship 46 has gotten lost" message every 2 minutes ... ^^;

My city is currently at 120k inhabitants.
Biggest challenge is definitely getting trains to run somewhat smoothly -
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 92FD61F46/
Works okay-ish. Really ultimately impossible without signals to do much better :/
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Just coming back from the dead briefly to shower you in screenshots of my city. From before the expansion.

The hardest part was taking the massive population and tax hit when I had to tear down all the dirty industry and replace it with more residences and clean industry while moving the dirty industry to the riverbank. I think I saved up about 3 million in dosh before the move and still had to take out a $250,000 loan by the time my economy started again.

A fun game, reminds me a lot of SC3K. It slows down hard after 100,000 people. And it also eats up memory.
They said I'd never need 16GB of RAM in my latest build. How wrong they were. I was pushing 12GB usage.
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

RPharazon wrote:Just coming back from the dead briefly to shower you in screenshots of my city. From before the expansion.

The hardest part was taking the massive population and tax hit when I had to tear down all the dirty industry and replace it with more residences and clean industry while moving the dirty industry to the riverbank. I think I saved up about 3 million in dosh before the move and still had to take out a $250,000 loan by the time my economy started again.

A fun game, reminds me a lot of SC3K. It slows down hard after 100,000 people. And it also eats up memory.
They said I'd never need 16GB of RAM in my latest build. How wrong they were. I was pushing 12GB usage.
Haven't seen you for four years!

Also, I like what has been done with the "farmland". It gives the unused areas that extra bit of realism. Makes the whole map appear used. Neat.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

I have to side with Pyoro on this one ...

While the game looks great (at least it did before the AD patch) once you start paying attention it's mechanics are more then a little bit underwhelming.
I dunno ... I feel like they try to do way too much at once and as a result the game feels bland.

If you're just playing just for looks then it's kinda fine.

I really hope there are some significant improvements soon or I will be writing this off as a loss. *sniff*
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Personally I think that while the game currently lacks depth, it is a solid foundation which can be built upon further, both by developers and modders.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I play with lots of mods to make it a bit more in depth. I'm not sure if I just suck or if the game genuinely handles traffic a bit poorly, because I can never seem to deal with traffic and there will always be somewhere where the traffic is totally chaotic and not really moving anywhere.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Bad Hair Day wrote: Personally I think that while the game currently lacks depth, it is a solid foundation which can be built upon further, both by developers and modders.
I agree on that, lots of potential but the game is pretty shallow once you get going a bit (vanilla).
Unfortunately many tubers only care about hype, views and the inside of their pockets ... peeps only learn about this after buying the game, which is a shame really.
Just my 2cc.

Redirect Left wrote:I play with lots of mods to make it a bit more in depth. I'm not sure if I just suck or if the game genuinely handles traffic a bit poorly, because I can never seem to deal with traffic and there will always be somewhere where the traffic is totally chaotic and not really moving anywhere.
Do not adjust your television this is a test, I repeat this is a test. :P

No it is not you and yes the traffic is a bit stupidos.
Also have you noticed that at the end of traffic jams vehicles despawn? This is the cause that it is not obvious for you to see where the issue originates.

To be more specific the traffic follows rules very strictly and always follows the fastest path.
Collosal order has said they will be adressing the issue in one of the future patches, no ETA.
They do not want to insert one of the mods as is as they are quite the resource hog.

Anyhoo, since you like mods ...
"Traffic++" is the most resource intensive but gives you the most options to fine tune behaviour.
"Traffic Manager + AI" is slightly lighter on the resources and is the one I use.

Both of them allow you to disable the despawning which will cause a huuuuuuuge jam but will show you where the problem is situated, without this it is kinda hard to find the start of the jam, which is most often caused by having intersections with trafficlights too close to eachother. If a vehicle can not clear a crossing it will not enter it neither even if the light is green, blocking vehicles that may be going a totally different direction.

You may want to add both mods, not at the same time, to a copy of your game as traffic ++ can not be properly removed without causing issues, instead you need to put it in ghost mode to disable it again.
IMHO test on your copy and apply the solution to your not-copy is the best way to go about it, unless you have no intention of removing it.
Finally sometimes your road connections will look glitchy after re-loading your game, rebuilding the crossing will make it go away.

Anyhoo, hope this helps you somewhat.

ps:
When despawning is disabled and with very large cities with loads of traffic, you may find that your traffic ends up in one single line while some lanes are not used at all. This is again caused by traffic following the rules too strictly ... return to start for enless loop. :P
There is nothing you can do about this, for now, except for letting vehicles despawn which hides the real issue.

pps:
for the peeps having troubs with trains ... do not mix outside connections with internal traffic, keep your lines seperate and it should be fine-ish.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Redirect Left wrote:I play with lots of mods to make it a bit more in depth. I'm not sure if I just suck or if the game genuinely handles traffic a bit poorly, because I can never seem to deal with traffic and there will always be somewhere where the traffic is totally chaotic and not really moving anywhere.
I've built a city using only normal roads and found it to be much more efficient than using dual and triple carriageways.
Last known as: Weirdy
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

ChillCore wrote: pps:
for the peeps having troubs with trains ... do not mix outside connections with internal traffic, keep your lines seperate and it should be fine-ish.
I have no idea how the train logic works. It always ends up jammed (currently only using internal passenger trains).
SkeedR wrote:
I've built a city using only normal roads and found it to be much more efficient than using dual and triple carriageways.
Hm. I'll try that on my next map then.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Redirect Left wrote:
ChillCore wrote: pps:
I have no idea how the train logic works. It always ends up jammed (currently only using internal passenger trains).
Just put a station somewhere on the external connection rail but instead of extending that rail internally put another station nearby (eg. across the road) and build your internal line from there. Passengers have no probs with walking from one station to another to transfer.

When adding new lines you want to do the same again ... keep the rails seperate from the previous ones somewhat.
You can get away with connecting rails here and there and having a station being serviced by two lines but I never go for three and you do not want to use complicated junctions at all.

If you are still having jams ... lower the budget a bit as the number of vehicles servicing a mode of public transport depends on that.
Traffic is not exactly OpenTTD-like and the lack of signals does not help much.

The same goes for all other modes of transport ... read: you really do not want 4 bus-/metrolines using the same stop as that causes really bad jams.
Although I am not sure how the new busthingie that comes with the AD DLC handles things; I will not be buying no DLC untill the vanilla game works properly without using mods to fix things.

As for roadvehicles jams ... SkeedR is right that using the normal roads should help avoid congestions too because they do not have traffic lights.
For all other roads that do have trafficlights you want your intersections far apart.

Oh before I forget, do not let passenger trains and freightrains use the same rail neither ...

-----------------

For those in doubt .... I am not really happy no more with my purchase.
This game really really needs a lot of work IMHO ...
That last update made me stop playing copletely, the night looks nice-ish but that bloody bloom, smog, clouds, cartoonisch colour use, them shaders and the FOD that can not be completely disabled are giving me a serious headacheswithin 5 mins.
Anyone have opinions on that ... me complaining is responded to by redicule and being ignored mostly on steam.
"But ChillCore everything is fine for most peeps, something must be wrong with your pc and or your brain. How dare you say all that ..." :/
Bit like Drury mocking my desire for privacy and hatred for steam here ... but worse.

ps:
No hard feelings Drury, you know I love you. :P

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Well I'm offensive and I found that a sensitive person.

Paid SPUF an annual visit and surely enough, you're being passive-aggressive enough I'd say :P Also neat how you're fighting to get your refund even though you have played for 300+ hours, I mean, on paper, you deserve it, in practice, nobody is going to give a damn. That's one thing I really like about you, you just keep banging your head against a wall waving papers around as if they meant anything in real life. It's kind of neat, but reality will keep punching you in the face if you keep that attitude. I mean it is kind of sad people can't bother to play fair but what can you do. Yelling for personal justice never changed the world and never will, you gotta yell for free pancakes if you really want anybody to listen. Everybody likes pancakes. Nobody likes to hear you complaining about stuff they don't give a hoot about. Telling them to give a hoot about it won't make them give a hoot about it, nor will politely asking them to, or yelling at them. If you want to be heard, you gotta promise everybody a free pancake for their time. Delivery optional. See politics.

But that's just like, my opinion, man. Also I really like pancakes, not sure about you. Why? They taste delicious. Simple as. There's no science behind it.

So as not to be utterly vastly OT, here's a silly gif

http://i.imgur.com/KTLteIM.gifv

Can't live without 'em

-Drury
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Drury wrote:Well I'm offensive and I found that a sensitive person.
It's ok ... you do so without talking down and you're funny while doing it
Paid SPUF an annual visit
Stalking me and not sending me a frieds request? How rude ... :mrgreen:
and surely enough, you're being passive-aggressive enough I'd say :P Also neat how you're fighting to get your refund even though you have played for 300+ hours, I mean, on paper, you deserve it, in practice, nobody is going to give a damn. That's one thing I really like about you, you just keep banging your head against a wall waving papers around as if they meant anything in real life. It's kind of neat, but reality will keep punching you in the face if you keep that attitude. I mean it is kind of sad people can't bother to play fair but what can you do. Yelling for personal justice never changed the world and never will, you gotta yell for free pancakes if you really want anybody to listen. Everybody likes pancakes. Nobody likes to hear you complaining about stuff they don't give a hoot about. Telling them to give a hoot about it won't make them give a hoot about it, nor will politely asking them to, or yelling at them. If you want to be heard, you gotta promise everybody a free pancake for their time. Delivery optional. See politics.
But that's just like, my opinion, man.
Ye, story of my life ... Got plenty of bruises to show for it but I would not say it does not help never.
I mean Steam does refunds now right? Still in a crap way but at least it is not like before. I may or may not have had a hand in stirring up things to get there (but I am not cocky enough to claim credits for it).
Ios runs rootless now too. Although that only took a couple of e-mails and two phonecalls explaining in detail how I could rob them blind if I wanted to do so.

It is just a matter of saying the wrong thing at the right time and let go for a bit without letting go.
Also I really like pancakes, not sure about you. Why? They taste delicious. Simple as. There's no science behind it.
Nom nom pancakes, just three for me, hold the sugar and icecream instead, I get sickish if I put sugar on them.
So as not to be utterly vastly OT, here's a silly gif

http://i.imgur.com/KTLteIM.gifv

Can't live without 'em
I'll have a looksie in a bit, need to be disable some stuffs to be able to do so.

To bring the thread back on topic.

Road traffic and metros ... sometimes traffic stops because of a metro passing by underground, just so you know.

Also got comfirmatoin, from another player (linking to bloody reddit again) on steam not devs, that some fixes should be out soon in regards of traffic but most likely I will be left in the cold in regards of graphical discomfort.

Oh well ... I'll test in burts of a few minutes at a time but I am not done complaining then. :P

RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Chrill wrote:Also, I like what has been done with the "farmland". It gives the unused areas that extra bit of realism. Makes the whole map appear used. Neat.
I can't take credit for that, some mapmaker somewhere gets the credit. It's a nice map even if it does preclude dam usage and tends to be very liberal with its resource distribution. I'm getting back in the Cities Skylines mood, so I have to ask, is the new expansion worth it at all? Are there good mods or is the Workshop still clogged with ten gorillion car models and retextures?

Now for some off topic stuff. As for the being away, well, it happens. Busy with uni, busy with life, and I don't have much temper for forums at this point. Example: the past few posts. Oh well.
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

My last city holds at ~51k to 52k before losing down again to 49k and back up. Indeed, I think it's short of Banished : it's almost impossible to maintain something above a certain level of population. After I looked it up, turns out it was the metro system : a long not-good loop that took days to fully transit over (and those massive metros only goes to 40% usage). I revamped it and lastly it did grew past 60k (which still takes two days to go from one end to the other; scores better with up to 75% usage anyway), before it was lost out of some computer yank (does anyone know where the savegame is located ?). Need mods for high-end population I guess, where infra vs. population would like skyrocket without any mean of improving the basic features.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Off-Topic”