Station Rankings

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Station Rankings

Post by cybdan »

Hi guys, I registered just to ask (I first search on the internet and on this same forum but couldn't find an answer!) how do I make my stations ranking go higher. For example in the current game I'm playing I've a station near a sawmill and I transport wood and goods, it says ranking for goods is 54% and theres a lot of wood incoming constantly, so basically my question is what can I do to make that sawmill produce more goods to transport with the same amount of received wood? Why some stations have a ranking of 70% and others have like 30% or even less? How does this affect and how can I prevent low ratio?

Thanks in advance and sorry if question is repeated, I searched in this same forum but couldn't find the answer, hope it doesn't annoy anyone in here.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Station Rankings

Post by Alberth »

Always have a train loading, have new trains arriving often (so short trains are better than long trains), and do speedy delivery.
(which also helps in your income)

In other words, provide first class service to your customer by transporting all its cargo quickly.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cybdan »

oh I see. This Sawmill produces around 6000 crates of good / month and the station says rating is like 54%, I've a huge station incoming wood all the time from trains that do a short travel getting that wood from transfer station to transfer station and like that making arrive to 1 sawmill a lot of wood from everywhere, then all the goods are transported to 2 towns, one is not that much far away but the other it really is, so in your opinion I should make 1 more train going for the nearest town even if its with just 1 wagon of goods to make the ranking go higher and be able to deliver mamoth trains to the farest town? Hope I explained myself good enough, maybe I can upload a savegame if you want to take a look and see what I mean

EDIT : I tried to add small trains and a lot of lines to the same station just to higher the ranking and now I got 80-82% but sometimes the trains even have to wait a while to fully charge and the ranking doesn't go higher than that, is it ok or theres a way to boost to the 90-100% ? ty in advance!
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

For what I read in the GRF Specs, station ratings depend on:
  • - frequency of cargo pick-up: 10 days or less between 2 pick-ups should be good
    - amount of cargo waiting at the station: best is to have 100 units waiting or less at any time
    - max speed of the last vehicle picking cargo: the faster, the better
    - age of the last vehicle picing cargo: the younger the better
    - if you've built a statue in the nearest town, you can also have a significant bonus (16%)
cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cybdan »

Thank you very much both of you for helping, I've got around 90% now and sometimes (when all trains are renewed I do believe) I hit 92 or even 93%.

Tho sometimes I see like 400, 500 units and the trains are waiting there to pickup the goods, maybe its because of the cargo algorythm that doesn't allow all trains to load at the same time, stablishing cargo queues for 1st arrive > 1st pick, dont know what can happen if I switch it to all load at the same time but I smell then it might be even worse if at some point too many trains are loading.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The second train will start loading as soon as there is more cargo waiting than can fit onto the first train.
cybdan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cybdan »

Yeah I know, this is why I've been thinking that 100 cargo units should be taken as a random number because it should be based on % production rather than a static random number like 100, because when you have 7000+ crates production a month like in this game, its kinda impossible to keep less than 100 at a time if you're having some long trains with 12 wagons and stuff like that.

I attach the file so you guys can see what is it about :)
Attachments
pinga2015-2.sav
(6.45 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Try building your train station such that the sawmill lies just outside the train station's catchment area.
Then, using drive-through truck stops, use trucks/lorries to move the crates to the train station frequently.
You may need as many as four trucks. I've had as many as eight.
Place a truck depot at the far end of the drive-through truck stop to force half the trucks to enter the stop from the far end.

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”