Project North America (Better name later!)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Project North America (Better name later!)

Post by FooBar »

I'm not saying one is necessarily using cargo subtypes to be able to manually select them. And even than you can simply show something else after a certain year.
Pack man
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pack man »

Neko, I tried a couple of times to code a single rail vehicle, but I really couldn't seem to get it to work.

I know I haven't been around much, but life has been and continues to be hectic. 2 jobs, school, a girlfriend, and trying to finish building a motor for my car really do eat my time up.

Due to a computer change and a move, i lost most of what I had (including my attempted nfo file). And the newer version of paint is a bit trickier to use for me. You can use the stuff I drew in the past. But i may not be able to have the time to try again for a while.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Pack man wrote:And the newer version of paint is a bit trickier to use for me
Just a heads up, you can use the old Paint (this is the version from XP) in new versions of Windows, just use this :wink:
Attachments
paint.zip
(149.72 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I use GIMP with the OpenTTD Windows pallet PAL file, but you can also use Paint.Net which is better then the Windows Vista/7/8/10 paint
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pack man wrote:Neko, I tried a couple of times to code a single rail vehicle, but I really couldn't seem to get it to work.

I know I haven't been around much, but life has been and continues to be hectic. 2 jobs, school, a girlfriend, and trying to finish building a motor for my car really do eat my time up.

Due to a computer change and a move, i lost most of what I had (including my attempted nfo file). And the newer version of paint is a bit trickier to use for me. You can use the stuff I drew in the past. But i may not be able to have the time to try again for a while.
Thank you for allowing me to use all your old north american stuff, I really liked your work especially the FP 45, one of my favourite versions of the SD 45
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

NekoMaster wrote:I use GIMP with the OpenTTD Windows pallet PAL file
It is generally recommended to use the DOS palette, as it has slightly more colours. (With the introduction of Windows Gui, some colours got allocated to the windowing system, so applications had less colours.)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Alberth wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:I use GIMP with the OpenTTD Windows pallet PAL file
It is generally recommended to use the DOS palette, as it has slightly more colours. (With the introduction of Windows Gui, some colours got allocated to the windowing system, so applications had less colours.)
Also if you use the Win palette the greys are all over the place, making it hard to select colours from the colourmap.

Also with GIMP it's really easy and quick to recolour company-coloured sprites to their real liveries (and vice versa). It's best if you draw two rows of eight pixels, each containing one company colour, then use the Select by Colour tool to select them and then drag the colour you want to the selected area. This will automatically colour all pixels of that colour to a different one. Make sure to set your threshold to 0 though.

Feel free to use this and anything else I've drawn.
Attachments
EMD F-unit in Santa Fe Warbonnet livery
EMD F-unit in Santa Fe Warbonnet livery
atsf_emd_f3.png (4.22 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Southern Pacific GS-4
Southern Pacific GS-4
sp_4449_daylight.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
PRR Sharknose in Tuscan red
PRR Sharknose in Tuscan red
PRR_rf16_red.PNG (4.03 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Alberth wrote:It is generally recommended to use the DOS palette
Why isn't it generally recommended to use 32bpp? It makes everything so much easier. ;)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PikkaBird wrote:
Why isn't it generally recommended to use 32bpp? It makes everything so much easier. ;)
5x the grf size (assuming you don't use any additional colour: 1x for the original paletted and 4x the same sprite as 32bpp). But it's debatable whether that's really a good argument (nowadays).
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

PikkaBird wrote:
Fine, as long as you don't use the Windows palette ;)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I've been using the windows pallet since i started spriting, and never had any issue. Whats with the switch to DOS that has everyone up in arms against windows pallet?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

There is no reason to use it (any more). Using the DOS palette gives you 6 extra colours over the Windows palette. But you can also simply not care and use whatever you like.
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

Does anyone know a way to check NML if you have put the right semicolons in place and stuff like that? It is a pain to check for semicolons and I need a easier way! The nmlc.exe is giving me a lot of syntax errors because of it! Here is the file.
Attachments
ProjectNA.nml
(7.86 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
ProjectNA.nml
(7.59 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

TrainLover wrote:
ProjectNA.nml
This is the actual .nml file to see what is happening.
Does anyone know a way to check NML if you have put the right semicolons in place and stuff like that? It is a pain to check for semicolons and I need a easier way! The nmlc.exe is giving me a lot of syntax errors because of it! I also have syntax errors on the word weight: 44 Ton;..
I remember asking it once, and the answer is no, because the program has no idea about what you want to do after the first syntax error, it basically considers the rest as nonsense.

For some text editors there are files that can help you with coding, as it highlights keywords and stuff (see the bottom of this page).

But some general points:
You only need one railtypetable in your code, but you try to define it multiple times
You commented out the start of every item block, because the comment before that does not end with */ but with *\
I would advise you to place the } (and maybe also the { if that works for you) of a block on a new line, which should make it clearer if your block is not closed
Ton should be ton (small t)
ELRl in you railtypetable should be ELRL (big L)
shorten_vehicle should be replaced by the length property, which just takes a number representing the x/8 length (value should be between 1 and 8)
You refer to a purchase sprite using a spriteset and template_purchase, but template_purchase is never defined (and the whole spriteset should be defined before the item block)
Only your first vehicle has a spriteset defined, but no purchase sprite, while the other vehicles only have the purchase sprite
You should use a template for your spritesets, so that you can reuse the alignments from there, instead of defining them over and over again
If this set is going to consist of a lot of vehicles, you might want to split it up in multiple files, but that is up to you

I would also advise you to look at code from other sets, I think the 2cc TrainsInNML has some simple vehicles to look at (see for example this file and this file, that are the code for 1 vehicle).

I hope this helps you.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

I can send to You Highliner EMU what I'm drawing now, and sprites of Chicago Commuter F40PH.
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Think i could draw the M2 'Cosmopolitan' for you ?
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

I'm already have M1, M2 , M7, M8, some comet cars and P32AC-DM.
Image Image
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

So, project is abandoned?
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”