Straddle Bus

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Straddle Bus

Post by trainman1432 »

I have been thinking about this "Straddling bus" idea China has to reduce congestion of traffic and i have 2 questions about it:
1: Can it be possible to remodel stations for trams,
2: And, how would it be possible to have it literally Straddle as they call it?

and if the question no 1 is possible, can a coder come and code for me? I would like to make this into a NewGRF.

Jetrain
YATTC
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Straddle Bus

Post by FooBar »

Interesting concept, not going to work in OpenTTD though. You can change tram station, but not without changing the bus stations at the same time. They are the same thing.
You cannot have vehicles drive through/over other vehicles. They will just sit in line as any other vehicle.

About a coder: there's no such jar that you can whip open and pull one out. Start with the graphics; if they're good enough an if a coder likes the concept, he/she will let you know ;)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The OpenTTD road vehicle model is interesting. Vehicles can actually pass through each other, but only if one vehicle is stopped and after another vehicle has stopped behind it for a period of time and has to go through. But if vehicles are all moving, they will queue up behind each other. If they both turn into the same lane simultaneously, the one that is further behind the other will merge into the lane, but then stop and wait for the first vehicle's graphics to clear its block before it continues.

If we could tweak that just a little, then the Urban Suspended Monorail tram could work as expected, and we could even work on the Straddling Bus idea. We could even properly emulate other elevated rail systems as trams.
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

kamnet wrote:The OpenTTD road vehicle model is interesting. Vehicles can actually pass through each other, but only if one vehicle is stopped and after another vehicle has stopped behind it for a period of time and has to go through. But if vehicles are all moving, they will queue up behind each other. If they both turn into the same lane simultaneously, the one that is further behind the other will merge into the lane, but then stop and wait for the first vehicle's graphics to clear its block before it continues.
Can't the Long Vehicles V4(Long_vehicles-v404Oct2008) overtake others while driving? Or am I remembering incorrectly?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

All non-articulated road vehicles can overtake (pass other vehicles by moving into the next lane) provided they have enough distance to calculate the change and enough speed to overtake before encountering an oncoming vehicle. but if vehicles are queued, then they do not have sufficient distance to calculate the change.

Articulated vehicles cannot overtake at all until OpenTTD developers solve the problem of two segments moving at once in opposing directions.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

FooBar wrote:Interesting concept, not going to work in OpenTTD though. You can change tram station, but not without changing the bus stations at the same time. They are the same thing.
I have an idea that It can be a dual deck stop so it *may* :roll: look better, currently I am painting the station. OT: Umm... i forgot, nearly. Where can i get an image of the opened color palette? or can you post on for me? Thanks

Destin
Jetrain
YATTC
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

trainman1432 wrote:
FooBar wrote:Interesting concept, not going to work in OpenTTD though. You can change tram station, but not without changing the bus stations at the same time. They are the same thing.
I have an idea that It can be a dual deck stop so it *may* :roll: look better, currently I am painting the station. OT: Umm... i forgot, nearly. Where can i get an image of the opened color palette? or can you post on for me? Thanks

Destin

http://dev.openttdcoop.org/documents/1
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

grfcodec can create .png files with the correct palette for you, just "decode" anything (maybe even an empty file will work)
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

maybe openttd should have a bit more flexiblity with transport modes. Like simutrans, with the elevated tracks.
Jetrain
YATTC
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Find a way to build it in. People are still waiting for RoadTypes.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

kamnet wrote:Find a way to build it in. People are still waiting for RoadTypes.
No roadtype patchpack? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jetrain
YATTC
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

trainman1432 wrote:
kamnet wrote:Find a way to build it in. People are still waiting for RoadTypes.
No roadtype patchpack? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nobody's done any actual coding on RoadType ever. There's a few papers on how it might work, that's it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

So coming back to this, unfortunately it looks like the real world project is dead. It got a nice demo in July of last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhfUn2Zen00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiKGjnG01KY

But just a few months later? The demo is literally abandoned in the middle of a busy highway, city officials don't know what to do as apparently the demo was unauthorized to begin with. And the company's offices appear to be abandoned, if they even existed at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7BTbHWyp40

Even the Chinese government is now saying that the $15 million raised for development was an investment scam. Which is a shame, because viewing the demo it actually feels a lot more feasible. Maybe if it was just a bit taller to accommodate trucks, if it can haul 300 people at a time it would be a significant improvement in many areas, IMO.

So, back to the idea of making this a reality in OpenTTD? Well the biggest change is that we now have NotRoadTypes (NRT) in development. So it's a bit more possible to make this happen. My guess is that it will still be glitchy, and vehicles still won't be able to pass underneath it, but it could still be a fun alternative.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

With NRT, this may be feasible
Perhaps I should boot up paint.NET
Jetrain
YATTC
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

trainman1432 wrote:With NRT, this may be feasible
Perhaps I should boot up paint.NET
In case anyone is interested in seeing this and several other interesting concepts come true in OpenTTD... Just please remember to offer help if you can and not nag about it. Just please remember to offer help if you can and not nag about it. Even that list is just framework, if I could do more I would, but I don't and shouldn't expect it to happen just because I posted something somewhere.

P.S. Sorry that this is getting reposted in a few threads; I promise it's just to gather interest, not to spam it. If a topic isn't relevant to the potential of NRT, it won't be posted in. If a topic is posted in like this, there won't be any bumps.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

Return to “Graphics Development”