A new use for "build on slopes"

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

A new use for "build on slopes"

Post by Raichase »

Hi there one and all (all and one).

Whilst working on my Arctic Set game, which you can see in the Pictures thread, I came across something that *might* be possible (although probably not...), and I hope it is...

What I want is for bridges to use build on slopes to bring the land slopes under the bridge up to the right level. I refer you to the picture. I want to build a bridge across the land that I have bought, yet I can't because I would normally need to raise the land. I can't do this, becuase some moron decided to build a town there...

I can post a "planned" pictre if you would like, with a better view of what I propose, but I do hope this is possible (If only for the small usefullness it would provide at moments like this eh?)
Attachments
idea.png
idea.png (72.83 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
DominionSpy
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DominionSpy »

This is not to do with the suggestion (which is a very good idea), but --
Raichase, you could lower the land along the line between the two arrows (see picture). You probably realise this, but you said that you would normally raise the land.
Attachments
arrows.png
arrows.png (31.81 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
You're saying I'm a Dominion spy, and don't even know it! - Dr. Bashir
That's the Joker in my avatar, not me. No wait it is me.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

That would introduce two unnecessary slopes into the track... Not good early on in the game with low-powered trains.
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Uh, normal build on slopes taxes thath, don't it? Or am i misouderstanding? If so, pleas explain.
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Raichase wants to build a flat track between the two tunnels.
It is not possible to raise the land between them.
It is possible to go down one level and then use buildonslopes, but that would slow the trains down.
Raichase would like to have the bridge built on the same terraces as the buildonslopes track, so one leg is 2 squares from the actual ground level.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

dominionspy wrote:This is not to do with the suggestion (which is a very good idea), but --
Raichase, you could lower the land along the line between the two arrows (see picture). You probably realise this, but you said that you would normally raise the land.
Yeah, If you follow the Pictures thread, you will see thats how I have been doing it - good thing the Dm3 is so high powered, the dips on the track make no difference to gameplay, but it does ruin the aesthetics of the game.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

Possibility - apply buildonslopes to the terrain below bridges, which would solve the problem at hand. The question is, how hard would it be to implement?
Sadly, I don't think there's anything that causes buildonslopes that can be built over with a bridge. Otherwise, you could, say, line the problem area with depots (or something else that causes buildonslopes) and then put a bridge over that. If anyone finds a way to do that please share it :)
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Well actually, what I asked was would the bridge make the build on slopes automatically, I don't want to be able to build a bridge over a depot ('cause it's impossible), just for the bridge tiles to raise the land with buildonslopes...

I fear it is impossible, as it would be placing something other than blank land or water underneight a bridge... Still, better to ask and be told it can't happen than to potentially let a great idea slip away ;)
ImageImage
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

You can first build a piece of road in the same direction as the bridge to cause the
"buildonslopes" to be activated. Than you build pieces of road rectangular to it (only half length roadpieces) ,
and delete the pieces of road which run in the same direction as the bridge.
This all leaves you with a stretch of buildonslopes where you can build a bridge over. (you normally can build a bridge over pieces of road)
None the less you can't build this bridge because TTD can't see the buildonslopes feature. :cry:
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

Rob wrote:You can first build a piece of road in the same direction as the bridge to cause the
"buildonslopes" to be activated. Than you build pieces of road rectangular to it (only half length roadpieces) ,
and delete the pieces of road which run in the same direction as the bridge.
This all leaves you with a stretch of buildonslopes where you can build a bridge over. (you normally can build a bridge over pieces of road)
None the less you can't build this bridge because TTD can't see the buildonslopes feature. :cry:
that doesnt woprk either, it would need a level 2 bridge cause the lower edge of tiles in the middle of the span are still 2 levels lower
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Raichase it appears if you place a single line of fill on slope opposite to town, you could then use build on slopes to lay track on them. Does this help :?: :idea:
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

I didn't really understand that, perhaps modify my screenie with some directions? Please? ;)
ImageImage
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Seems i got confused with the different levels in your screeshot. :(
Incidently Raichase, how do you put screenshots into your posts :?:
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Click this button on the post message page:
Attachments
dsgtazeh.PNG
dsgtazeh.PNG (9.39 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

nvm about helping me anyway, I just moved against the town and smushed some buildings ;)
ImageImage

Return to “Suggestions”