Best GRF Files?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Monarch1st
Engineer
Engineer

Best GRF Files?

Post by Monarch1st »

I'm starting over after a crash, and would like to know what are the best and/or most popular GRF files.
I remember I had one that had trains from the Rocket (I believe) all the way to the evacuated tunnel types (they weren't called that of course, but can't remember what they were called.)
There was also one that had a number of aircraft from before the DC-3 to even past the Airbus 380.
I know I had several more but have no idea what they are.

I don't want to bog down the game with a bunch of unwanted files, which is why I'm asking here rather than the 'this sounds good, lets try it' mindset.

What are your favorite mods... err, GRF files?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Best GRF Files?

Post by PikkaBird »

I suppose it depends what kind of game you want to play. Do you like sets that represent real vehicles from particular parts of the world? Do you like to build bigger/faster/stronger, or a more varied gameplay?
There was also one that had a number of aircraft from before the DC-3 to even past the Airbus 380.
This was probably my Av8 aircraft set.
Monarch1st
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monarch1st »

PikkaBird wrote:I suppose it depends what kind of game you want to play. Do you like sets that represent real vehicles from particular parts of the world? Do you like to build bigger/faster/stronger, or a more varied gameplay?
This was probably my Av8 aircraft set.
Generally citius, grandis, fortius (grandius? eh. it fit the meter), but with some attention to history. If there is one that has all the historical engines and cars for N. America, and one with all the historical engines/cars for Europe, and one for Japan, etc. that would be ideal.

But not only that. I also want those that make your life easier. I know I had one that modified stations (altho right off I forget what it actually did), allowed multiple airports to merge to same airport, stuff like that.

And Av8 sounds familiar. Well done, I really enjoyed it!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Monarch1st wrote:Generally citius, grandis, fortius (grandius? eh. it fit the meter), but with some attention to history. If there is one that has all the historical engines and cars for N. America, and one with all the historical engines/cars for Europe, and one for Japan, etc. that would be ideal.
The North American Railway Set and the Japan Set are both quite popular. NARS (one of mine again!) is company-coloured while Japan Set has real-life liveries. I don't think there's a generic pan-European train set available yet, but 2cc TrainsInNML is one to watch. I think of the current European set the Dutch set is both one of the most complete and one of the most popular.
But not only that. I also want those that make your life easier. I know I had one that modified stations (altho right off I forget what it actually did), allowed multiple airports to merge to same airport, stuff like that.
Industrial stations renewal is good fun for non-passenger stations. MB's newstations is an old standard but I don't think it's available on bananas. Merging airports isn't possible in the current spec, so that may have been a patchpack you used to use rather than a NewGRF.

Good hunting! :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”