I got a copy of TTD off of Ebay..

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
DarkenMoon
Engineer
Engineer

I got a copy of TTD off of Ebay..

Post by DarkenMoon »

It was sealed and only cost me $14 USD. Now why am I making this topic you ask? Well, it doesn't seem to be TTD at all. It just seems to be Transport Tycoon + Scenario Editor. I am confused, the CD says TTD and the cover says it's TTD. Now the question, what is this? Was I scammed? I am highly confused.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: I got a copy of TTD off of Ebay..

Post by Alberth »

http://www.chrissawyergames.com/info.htm has a list of transport tycoon game release pictures, maybe you can figure out what you have.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
DarkenMoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DarkenMoon »

Well first off, the boxes listed on there are different than the ones I have seen. UK boxes and not NA boxes? Anyway, it is most definitely Transport Tycoon World Editor / Scenario (DOS) even though the CD does say Transport Tycoon Deluxe on it. I also noticed this CD was last modified in 1997, and the copyright on the disc is from 1997 as well. Is this a well made dupe, or was the wrong version copied to the CD? I can provide an MDS/MDF image for the CD. I attached some images of the game.
Attachments
Title Screen
Title Screen
2015-07-04 16_04_41-DOSBox 0.74, Cpu speed_ max 100% cycles, Frameskip 0, Program_ TYCOON.png (222.15 KiB) Viewed 22818 times
Version Number
Version Number
2015-07-04 16_09_07-DOSBox 0.74, Cpu speed_ max 100% cycles, Frameskip 0, Program_ TYCOON.png (141.66 KiB) Viewed 22818 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It could be one of the many repacks TTD has had.
I have one, and the last modified dates start at 1995 (.dat / .grf / .ss0), with folders up to 1999. Which I assume is part of the repack, as a lot of it is advertising pictures for things. An exe (Classic.exe) is dated 1999 too. Although the rest of the files are 1995.

Unfortunately I can't quickly check what is on the disk/game itself, as I run 64bit and it won't even begin to try launching the .exe on it.

edit: from those screenshots, I do agree it seems to be TT+WORLD EDITOR expansion with the Mars graphics. Out of interest, do you have a screen of the actual cover? It seems odd they'd be such a glaring print error. Not unheard of, of course.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
DarkenMoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DarkenMoon »

I uploaded images of the game to Google Drive, since they were scans and they were fairly big. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

That's different to what mine is, mine has this cover

Googling is of no help here, 'Transport Tycoon Deluxe' brings up the cover you have, and the cover I have. I wonder if two versions of 'deluxe' were released, the original being just TT + Editor, and then later another improvement, the one now generally known as 'Deluxe'. It's the only thing I can think of?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

The "Slash" budget re-release was definitely a mislabeled copy of TTO+WE - you can find a few posts about it on old newsgroups c. 1999.
DarkenMoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DarkenMoon »

It just seems I got fairly unlucky. Oh well, maybe next time. I can't fault the Ebay seller though, since he (more than likely) didn't know. Also, I think the boxes are different in the UK and US. The ones on his website are from the UK, as far as I know.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

DarkenMoon wrote:It just seems I got fairly unlucky. Oh well, maybe next time. I can't fault the Ebay seller though, since he (more than likely) didn't know. Also, I think the boxes are different in the UK and US. The ones on his website are from the UK, as far as I know.
At least now you know for next time eh? Sorry about all the disappointment. I didn't know there was a mislabelled copy out there myself.
DarkenMoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DarkenMoon »

It was a pure coincidence. Hopefully next time I try to get the game, I actually get the game.

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”