NewGRF Translator

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: NewGRF Translator

Post by frosch »

Eints got a major update, with various things improved.

One of the new features is to display translations from related languages to give ideas how to translate things. For example when translating to Portuguese or Brazilian Eints will display the translation of the other language, if it exists:
Related languages
Related languages
eints_br.png (74.7 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Currently this uses the first part of the ISO code to trigger, which means it only triggers for
  • pt_PT (Portuguese) and pt_BR (Brazilian Portuguese)
  • zh_CN (Traditional Chinese) and zh_TW (Simplified Chinese)
It would also trigger for en_US, en_GB and en_AU, if English wasn't the base language,

I would like to ask you, whether there are other related languages?
  • Do nb_NO (Bokmal Norwegian) and nn_NO (Nynorsk Norwegian) look similar?
  • Do lb_LU (Luxembourgish) and de_DE (German) or cs_CZ (Czech) and sk_SK (Slovak) count as similar?
  • Are af_ZA (Afrikaans) and nl_NL (Dutch) or hr_HR (Croatian) and sr_RS (Serbian) still similar enough to be useful? (When naively comparing the translations about 50% of the words seem similar; but well, I don't know them :p I hope I do not offend someone.)
  • Is your language similar to some other one, and would seeing their translation help with your translation?
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

frosch wrote:[*] Are af_ZA (Afrikaans) and nl_NL (Dutch) still similar enough to be useful?
While the words seem similar, I think Dutch and Afrikaans are too different to really be useful.

Maybe more useful/better would be to have an option to show all already existing translations for a string (hidden by default).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

I think the optimum solution would be to let each individual translator pick the languages (s)he wants. Sometimes, you look at other translations to clarify the meaning of the English source string for you, and then it doesn't matter if the other languages are related - it is more important that you speak them yourself ;)

E.G. I am translating into Scottish Gaelic, butt rather than Irish I tend to use German as a guideline.
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

frosch wrote:Eints got a major update, with various things improved.

I would like to ask you, whether there are other related languages?
  • Are af_ZA (Afrikaans) and nl_NL (Dutch) or
Being an afrikaans speaker and main afrikaans translator (on most newgrfs), and a translator for openttd, and think it can help, esp. nl -> af but doubt the other way. Since Afrikaans evolved out of Dutch.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

https://translator.openttdcoop.org/ is not working (503) - it is temporary issue or service is down forever?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

McZapkie wrote: 12 Oct 2020 00:27 https://translator.openttdcoop.org/ is not working (503) - it is temporary issue or service is down forever?
It's unknown at the moment, but my guess is that version of the translator is down forever.

There may or may not be a new version of translator in future.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

I maybe do not know it at 100% correctly, but at https://www.openttd.org/ at news section, they write, that translations have moved to GitHub as people teams, so no openttdcoop needed from end of September.
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
MLG wrote: 12 Oct 2020 11:48 I maybe do not know it at 100% correctly, but at https://www.openttd.org/ at news section, they write, that translations have moved to GitHub as people teams, so no openttdcoop needed from end of September.
That's correct but wrong. The translator service on openttdcoop.org was meant to translate NewGRF strings but not OpenTTD in itself. So this is not about the translation of OpenTTD.

The main program had and has its own translation service. Github gets used to organise the translation team members language wise. The transalation in itself will be done on translator.openttd.org as before.

Tschö, Auge
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Well, so how newgrf translation will be organized?
Is it even possible to set up something comparable to the old system mentioned here, if projects are now dispersed on github, instead of hosted on one central site such dev.openttdcoop.org ?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.

Return to “Graphics Development”