[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Post by Quast65 »

Isnt it much easier to have the OpenGFX+Airport GRF to include a watertile object?

EDIT: and that watertile object could have an extra description in its menu explaining how to place it via Action 04 for menu
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'll just leave this here...
Attachments
seaports.png
seaports.png (229.91 KiB) Viewed 4656 times
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I'm guessing the actual runway is a dummy? However, it looks really good.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

3iff wrote:I'm guessing the actual runway is a dummy? However, it looks really good.
OpenGFX+ Airports as Objects NewGRF, along with ISR/DWE Objects, AV8 seaplanes, Grigory's Be-200 and Zephery's Ekranoplan set.
doxlulzem
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by doxlulzem »

Putting Ekranoplans and GEVs to good use with this. Looks nice :P
IJN Takao is life. Why did the Shinano get converted? Gotta love NeuroTec for Garry's Mod. I even have a server!
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real? - Jaden Smith 2014
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Very nice. To nitpick, the Twin Otter and Norseman don't appear to be refitted to floats. ;)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

PikkaBird wrote:Very nice. To nitpick, the Twin Otter and Norseman don't appear to be refitted to floats. ;)
Yeah, I didn't do a refit on them LOL... and the Be-200 is a tad small. :D
cmhbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cmhbob »

SO does this mean we can start servicing Oil Rigs and such with floatplanes?
--
Bob
The wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...
Me, elsewhere
Plord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Plord »

The only problem i find with that idea is that you cannot place airports together, and oil rigs have an helipad.
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roslav »

Plord wrote:The only problem i find with that idea is that you cannot place airports together, and oil rigs have an helipad.
IMHO this is not problem. When I played FIRS, I could transport cargo by train from dredging site (water industry) in case it was close enough to land, so it was inside train station catchment area. I think it is the same with oil rigs.

Anybodody tough of making new ngrf parameter for airports and patch the game to support sea airports, so the could be built without watertile hack?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

cmhbob wrote:SO does this mean we can start servicing Oil Rigs and such with floatplanes?
You always could. Currently in OpenTTD, airplanes are airplanes. Seaplane ports are just a visual hack, they still require a full tile of land to be built on (see previous post for visual demonstration). Just dynamite land near it and then build your airport.
Plord wrote:The only problem i find with that idea is that you cannot place airports together, and oil rigs have an helipad.
Oil rig heliport doesn't interfere with any station's cachement area.
Roslav wrote:Anybodody tough of making new ngrf parameter for airports and patch the game to support sea airports, so the could be built without watertile hack?
You won't see the game directly patched to support seaports, but there have been a few attempts to rewrite the airport code to support such things via NewGRF. The main hangup, IIRC, is that the state machine (how airplanes queue, land, where they go and how they take off) is hard-coded into OpenTTD (as it was in TTD) and there's no satisfying solution to that so far.
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roslav »

kamnet wrote:
Roslav wrote:Anybodody tough of making new ngrf parameter for airports and patch the game to support sea airports, so the could be built without watertile hack?
You won't see the game directly patched to support seaports, but there have been a few attempts to rewrite the airport code to support such things via NewGRF. The main hangup, IIRC, is that the state machine (how airplanes queue, land, where they go and how they take off) is hard-coded into OpenTTD (as it was in TTD) and there's no satisfying solution to that so far.
I made a few modifications to ottd code, created new Airport class, which can be built on water and not on land. State machine was not a problem, it is inherited from base airport type. I compiled ogfx+ airports to nfo and added new property to indicate seaplane airport.

What is working:
- reading seaplane airports from newgrf
- bulding a seaplane airport on water without pausing a game
- no seaplane flooding

Not working:
- layouts. Seaplane airport graphics are of base airport type
- all planes can land there as in base airport type
- can be placed over other structures in water (docks, objects, etc.)
- canals threat seaplane airports as land and thus show borders

Not tested:
- network
- pathfinding

Patch coming soon :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Roslav wrote:I made a few modifications to ottd code, created new Airport class, which can be built on water and not on land. State machine was not a problem, it is inherited from base airport type.
That's not the problem. The problem is everybody wants to fix the state machine because it's horribly inefficient, but there's not yet a way to do so. Every NewGRF airport that exists right now is essentially nothing more than a copy of the original state machines, and can't ever be anything but.
Not working:
- all planes can land there as in base airport type
IIRC, all planes would have to be coded to not allow landing at seaplane port, or you'd have to make a bunch of adjustments to OpenTTD to only allow certain types of planes to land at them. I imagine this would be similar to how a road vehicle can also drive over tram tracks.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I believe the landing is not the problem, any good pilot should be able to land on water.
The take-off is the problem :twisted:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

There is some method to build two airports together or near a distance of one tile?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There must be a minimum distance of one tile between airports. They cannot share the same station ID like rail and road stations can.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:There must be a minimum distance of one tile between airports. They cannot share the same station ID like rail and road stations can.
Well, technically they can be Ctrl+Built directly adjacent, but indeed they must be separate stations.
Attachments
Adjacent.png
Adjacent.png (23.71 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roslav »

Roslav wrote: Patch coming soon :)
I have posted the Seaplane Airport patch here.

Could you give me some feedback?
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

Supercheese wrote:
kamnet wrote:There must be a minimum distance of one tile between airports. They cannot share the same station ID like rail and road stations can.
Well, technically they can be Ctrl+Built directly adjacent, but indeed they must be separate stations.
Because you can not implement having two airports with the same name? That would increase the flow of aircraft if one wants to use.

Return to “Graphics Development”