Ship Stuck in Fishing Grounds

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gankenstein
Engineer
Engineer

Ship Stuck in Fishing Grounds

Post by Gankenstein »

In my current game, a ship which is purportedly en route has become stuck inside a Fishing Grounds area. And by stuch I mean the ship keeps going back and forth between two (diagonally) adjacent tiles.

These particular fishing grounds appeared after the ship was assigned to the route it's supposed to follow. Other ships on the same route appears to pass by this Fishing Grounds Area without any problems.

This is using OTTD 1.5.0, FISH 0.9.2 and FIRS 1.4.3.

I have tried sending the ship to dock, and to skip the current destination and also built a buoy near the ship and tried to send the ship to the buoy. But the ship keeps moving back and forth one tile.

Is there any way to work around this?

I have searched and it appears this has not been reported before, so if this is not a known issue I'll file a bug report.

P.S: "Fishing Grounds" is my translation of "Fiskeriområder" which is the term used in the Danish-language version
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Ship Stuck in Fishing Grounds

Post by Transportman »

Do you have a screenshot/savegame? Without it, it is guessing what is happening.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Gankenstein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gankenstein »

Yes, here it is and window should be centered on the problem ship.
Attachments
H. T. Gek Transport, 7. jul 1915 stuck ship.sav
Ship "Swanssea Vest 2" stuck in Fishing Grounds at "Swansea Centrum"
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Seems like a bug to me.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

The ship pathfinder, if the tile edge being approached is impassable, will simply reverse the ship.
Which is all very well, except that when it gets to the other edge, it bounces back...

It's impossible to get into this situation without terraforming or industry creation.

It's fairly easy to replicate this intentionally with terraforming, but the odds of an ocean industry popping up in exactly the wrong place are tiny - even more so with default industries, where the only possibility is an oil rig next to some other obstruction - and it seems no-one has ever tried to fix it.

EDIT: Is it even possible for this to happen with the default industries? Oil rigs don't have any concave edges in themselves, and need a clear zone around them to be created, so I suspect it isn't.
Last edited by FLHerne on 05 Apr 2015 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Gankenstein
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gankenstein »

Thank you FLHerne! That is indeed what I think happened and as I know of no way to scrap this ship, it is probably stuck there forever (luckily I can afford the loss of ship & cargo & running costs).

While FLHerne was answering, I was busy reporting this on FlySpray, so it is now bug FS#6273.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

If it's in singleplayer, you could briefly enable the 'magic bulldozer' cheat and demolish the fishing grounds.

Might not be worth the loss of all that fish though. Stopped vehicles have no running cost, so there shouldn't be any ongoing cost incurred by just letting the ship sit there.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you could also try savegame-hacking (or a debugger) to get the ship on another "trackbit" (imagine water as a rail tile with all connections built). then the ship can probably exit the tile.

for savegame hacking to work, you must set openttd.cfg to produce an uncompressed savegame, then figure out where in the file the ship is stored.
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

FLHerne wrote:If it's in singleplayer, you could briefly enable the 'magic bulldozer' cheat and demolish the fishing grounds.
I had the same problem with an oil rig and some docks on narrow rivers.
make sure 'forbid ship and train 90 degree turns' is turned off.
if that doesn't help then 'Magic Bulldozer' solves the problem.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”