Guide to setting up OpenTTD DOS

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

WWTBAM

Guide to setting up OpenTTD DOS

Post by WWTBAM »

Here is the guide to running OpenTTD under MS-DOS I wrote. Its up to you to find the build I used.
http://wiki.openttd.org/OpenTTD_DOS
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Guide to setting up OpenTTD DOS

Post by SirkoZ »

That's nice and all, but you don't specify where to download the actual OpenTTD for DOS. A crucial point of the guide, no? :-)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Currently you must build it or get some one to build it for you.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

"if you want someone to build it for you, press 1" :p
Train_builder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Train_builder »

What can be used to build this program? I have no idea on how to compile the source. Would Code :: Blocks work?
BUMP!!!!
Trains, trains, and more trains... and computers! 8)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I run my OpenTTD with FreeBSD.
I want to be able to run Transport Tycoon (the original) on DOSBox under FreeBSD the same way I used to under Windows XP (when I tried it crashed).Does anyone here have it working?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I want to be able to run Transport Tycoon (the original) on DOSBox under FreeBSD the same way I used to under Windows XP (when I tried it crashed).Does anyone here have it working?
This isn't the right part of the forum to ask that.

Try asking here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewforum.php?f=3
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Dave wrote:
Baldy's Boss wrote:I want to be able to run Transport Tycoon (the original) on DOSBox under FreeBSD the same way I used to under Windows XP (when I tried it crashed).Does anyone here have it working?

Raised the issue there weeks ago to no response.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
Dave wrote:

Raised the issue there weeks ago to no response.
This still isn't the topic to be asking the question in.
Last edited by Dave on 30 Mar 2015 17:22, edited 2 times in total.

Flickr

WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Not even the forum to be asking in.
Dave

Post by Dave »

If this is the post you're referring to (from here http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1145643) then:
I was playing TT in DOSBox on Windows XP until my XP machine crashed,but I haven't been able to get TT to run in DOSBox on a FreeBSD machine.
... Is not a question. Maybe you should reconsider how you frame your request.

Flickr

Train_builder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Train_builder »

Still, what can be used to compile it, and an even bigger question: How do you compile it?????
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Train_builder wrote:Still, what can be used to compile it, and an even bigger question: How do you compile it?????
An even bigger question is why? I can't think of any hardware capable of running OpenTTD where MS-DOS would be a suitable operating system.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Eddy Arfik wrote:An even bigger question is why? I can't think of any hardware capable of running OpenTTD where MS-DOS would be a suitable operating system.
Maybe it would work in a VM on a recent x86 box, like the i7.

What's more serious is the inherent limitations of MS-DOS, in particular the 640K memory barrier. The original TTD was coded in assembler, while OTTD is coded in C++. Code is a lot tighter in assembler than in C++. Also, I believe that the map array is larger in OTTD than in the original TTD (more variables per tile). So, you'd probably be limited to a map size of max. 128x128 and maybe a couple of hundred vehicles total.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

leifbk wrote:
Eddy Arfik wrote:An even bigger question is why? I can't think of any hardware capable of running OpenTTD where MS-DOS would be a suitable operating system.

What's more serious is the inherent limitations of MS-DOS, in particular the 640K memory barrier. The original TTD was coded in assembler, while OTTD is coded in C++. Code is a lot tighter in assembler than in C++. Also, I believe that the map array is larger in OTTD than in the original TTD (more variables per tile). So, you'd probably be limited to a map size of max. 128x128 and maybe a couple of hundred vehicles total.
Yes, it probably would work in a VM, but why someone would want to build a stripped down version for an ancient OS running in a VM when the full version runs native?

However, in this case
Baldy's Boss wrote:I want to be able to run Transport Tycoon (the original) on DOSBox under FreeBSD the same way I used to under Windows XP (when I tried it crashed)
using a VM with proper DOS install might be a better solution than DOSBox which in my experience seems to crash randomly
Train_builder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Train_builder »

Why not Freedos, which is FAT32 and can support larger amounts of ram? MS-DOS does not directly support larger amounts of ram, so you are correct. HOWEVER, there is ways to run programs in the extra ram.
Nappe1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nappe1 »

leifbk wrote:

Original TT and Dos version of TTD used Protected Mode extender and could use all available RAM up to 4GB barrier, which is 32bit address space limit available in i386 protected mode. (But due having static amount of max trains, ships, etc. it probably used around 4MB or bit more as I recal that it got faster and less Hard Drive active with more RAM than minimum 4MB. I can't recall exactly which Protected Mode Extender it was using, but most of them could use CPU controlled HD swap if allowed / needed.)
Train_builder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Train_builder »

I found one called DOS4GW. I have tried it in DOSbox. If I could, and there was a way to run modern Windows programs in DOS, I would switch to DOS. :D And, can you use the original TTD with OpenTTD, for things such as multiplayer?

Return to “General OpenTTD”