Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2

Post by j7n »

Purno wrote:I've mailed SCS Software this small document I made expressing my feelings on those confusing road signs. I'm already happy if they read it and use it to fix the signs in their future games
I also find the road signs inconsistent and not helpful. I suspect that the road signs might resemble the real ones as close as possible, which is incorrect when the standartised "prefab" intersections themselves do not occur in reality. I think they should make them simpler, one arrow per lane, painting out any extra arrows, or adding missing ones. Arrows are visible from a great distance as patches (you can tell how many there are, but not that they are arrows) and could be useful. On German Autobahns the signs are mostly correct, but also largely redundant as they almost always have 2 straight and 1 sliproad.

For example, I believe these two sets of signs are incorrect.

1. Polish freeway to Katowice.

Two arrows straight match two lanes. Exit to Wroclaw. - Ok
Two arrows straight again, but only one lane. - Oups!

2. Freeway near Geneve.

A typical sign suggests that only one lane goes straight. - I switch to the fast lane. - Wrong!
By the next set of signs the road has expanded with a slip lane. - I find that I need to switch back to the slow lane.

In their defence, the exits are clearly different color. But I don't get the rhyme and reason for the color change.

How does one interpret the common "Straight-And-Exit" sign like Example 5 in your document? Frankfurt, Nürnberg - straight, München, Praga/Praha - straight-and-exit. Surely, we can't go straight to reach Praga/Praha, no?

ProMods have "fixed" a few intersections with correct number of arrows on signs, and white paint on road surface indicating an exit. It's unfortunate that their signs have lower resolution mipmaps. But the road surface markings help a lot.

One approach for successful play would be memorizing all the "prefab" junctions, and recognize the number of lanes each one has. But that makes the game more boring.

Have you heard the author's position on the matter? I guess they have already made a final decision by now that is unlikely to change.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

j7n wrote:ProMods have "fixed" a few intersections with correct number of arrows on signs, and white paint on road surface indicating an exit. It's unfortunate that their signs have lower resolution mipmaps. But the road surface markings help a lot.
That kind of feedback would be most useful on the ProMods forums at www.promods.net. As you perhaps know, I'm part of the ProMods team and my work focusses on signage. My goal is to eventually "fix" all the intersections, but some intersections will get a complete overhaul in future.
Have you heard the author's position on the matter? I guess they have already made a final decision by now that is unlikely to change.
They said they'll address the issue when they're working on their prefabs, but that e-mail was a long time ago. Meanwhile, their new map expansion at Klagenfurt includes the same errors. On the positive side, they did make a sign editor in the game's built-in editor, so they could be much more flexible when making new signs. Who knows what they'll do in future.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
j7n
Engineer
Engineer

Post by j7n »

I see. Thank you for the response.
Purno wrote:That kind of feedback would be most useful on the ProMods
Somebody else had already made the team aware of the issue. Apparently, the difference is still visible in HD.

I accept that single lane straights exist, because the map is compressed and there is less room for the road. If the signs warned the player about it in advance (about the distance where the first set of signs near Geneva is), there would be no problem.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

j7n wrote:I accept that single lane straights exist, because the map is compressed and there is less room for the road. If the signs warned the player about it in advance (about the distance where the first set of signs near Geneva is), there would be no problem.
This is exactly what I'm addressing while placing signs. I will try to inform the player ASAP about any nasty surprises or directions. Take a look at these pictures for example;
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40802j.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40803m.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40906e.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40804b.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40803b.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40806d.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40903a.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40724c.png
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Purno/ET ... 40629c.png
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Nice, Purno! Keep up the good work. ProMods opens up a whole new world. Literally :P
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Thank you. :)
Glad you like it :)
Image Image
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Guess what the truck fairy gave to me...
Attachments
ets2_00004.png
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Doublepost!

Anyone have Multiplayer?
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Nathanxbox20
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nathanxbox20 »

Aycliffe wrote:Anyone have Multiplayer?
I do! I mean, who doesn't? oh nvm.
I'm not normal. Because normal is stupid. And stupid is normal.
Life has no respawns.
A Locomotion, BeamNG.drive, and OpenTTD enthusiast and amateur photographer. Also getting into model railroading.
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

I also bought that recently, but I haven't tried downloading extra maps. Probably makes sense though.
Nathanxbox20
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nathanxbox20 »

I've put FaceTrackNoIR on my gaming machine and I love it. Looking around is much easier with it than with a keyboard/mouse or my XBox controller.
Life has no respawns.
A Locomotion, BeamNG.drive, and OpenTTD enthusiast and amateur photographer. Also getting into model railroading.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

How about I just leave this here? :P

There's more videos at my youtube channel for those interested ;)
Image Image
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Let me mess around here a little bit. :)

Few details from map of Serbia (WIP):

We are trying to do our best:

There are lots of custom models:

Vehicles, vehicle plates and road signs are ready:

Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Interesting stuff there Wile. Keep up the good work :)
Image Image
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Thank you. :D Your work is also awesome :D
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Thank you. Iceland is a cool country to work on, but the lack of snow-proof models is a tad annoying. :tongue:
Image Image
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Arguably not the right place, but my last download of Promods (1.83) ended up giving me no cargo to haul. Purno, any idea what I've done wrong? Apart from Promods, I am using vanilla ETS2+Going East, no other mods. Both normal hauls and Quick Jobs give empty lists. ETS2 and Promods are both the latest version.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

No clue. You best ask at the ProMods forums. Does the problem exist in a newly created profile too?
Image Image
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

This is probably my favourite simulator, as a kid I always dreamed of becoming a truck driver. :lol: Has anyone tried this game in the Oculus Rift? Preferably with a steering wheel as well. It's pretty awesome.

Here's my favourite YouTube personality trying it:

Here's a (really long) video of him playing it "normally":
Nathanxbox20
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nathanxbox20 »

I wish! Right now, I've got FaceTrackNoIR to help with looking around. My favorite YouTuber for ETS2 is Squirrel.
Also, While convoying, I had the privilege of watching an incredible U-turn.
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/532 ... C6BDF25A5/
Last edited by Chrill on 30 Dec 2014 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Table breaking image
Life has no respawns.

Return to “Off-Topic”