[OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] OpenGFX+ Airports

Post by Eddy Arfik »

I often extend my airports with object tiles, as do many other people, but it looks funny with the fences in in between the "real" airport and the "fake" parts, so I've made a parameter that will allow to disable fences. Would you consider adding this to the next release?
Attachments
ogfx_airports-no_fences.diff
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddy Arfik wrote:I often extend my airports with object tiles, as do many other people, but it looks funny with the fences in in between the "real" airport and the "fake" parts, so I've made a parameter that will allow to disable fences. Would you consider adding this to the next release?
The idea makes sense. Wouldn't it make even more sense for this parameter to hide fences only when the nearby tile is an object tile? (Or maybe even from a certain or a few NewObject NewGRFs only?) Additionally it could also control whether adjacent station tiles would trigger hiding the fence, too.

Language files do not use tab for alignment but spaces.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

planetmaker wrote: Wouldn't it make even more sense for this parameter to hide fences only when the nearby tile is an object tile? (Or maybe even from a certain or a few NewObject NewGRFs only?) Additionally it could also control whether adjacent station tiles would trigger hiding the fence, too.
I hadn't thought of that, I'll have a look at implementing a nearby tile check

Edit : I've implemented check for adjacent object or station tiles, but now I'm wondering if extra parameter is necessary, or if automagic fence hiding as default behaviour is better
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

So I have a new version here, which doesn't have parameter, instead automatically hides the fence where an object or station tile is adjacent. I think this is better solution as it doesn't add strings to need translating. Attached is diff and also compiled grf if anyone wants to try it out.
Attachments
ogfx-airports_autofences.diff
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
ogfx-airports.grf
(992.75 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Eddy Arfik wrote:So I have a new version here, which doesn't have parameter, instead automatically hides the fence where an object or station tile is adjacent. I think this is better solution as it doesn't add strings to need translating. Attached is diff and also compiled grf if anyone wants to try it out.
This seems like a good idea; I approve of this patch. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Something I've been working on: Vintage Commuter airports for OGFX+. I always like playing with early airplanes from Av8 but find the Small airport sorely lacking in capacity, so I disable the OGFX+ Airports date restrictions and build Commuter airports instead. They have the added bonus of being able to handle two Airships and all heavier-than-air traffic simultaneously. I still have to get the control towers implemented in the two left-hand rotations, but I plan on submitting a patch relatively soon.
Attachments
Commuter airports with the Small airport style
Commuter airports with the Small airport style
OGFX+ Vintage Commuter Airports.png (54.77 KiB) Viewed 5383 times

supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Nice!

One thing that always bothered me about the small airport though, is that I imagine planes getting stuck in all that mud! What about using some 'drier' dirt or grass for the landing strip?
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Supercheese wrote:Something I've been working on: Vintage Commuter airports for OGFX+. I always like playing with early airplanes from Av8 but find the Small airport sorely lacking in capacity, so I disable the OGFX+ Airports date restrictions and build Commuter airports instead. They have the added bonus of being able to handle two Airships and all heavier-than-air traffic simultaneously. I still have to get the control towers implemented in the two left-hand rotations, but I plan on submitting a patch relatively soon.
Nicely done. I had the exact same idea, and began working on a fork of OGFX+ Airports to implement this and a few other styles of airport I have in mind, but I couldn't quite get the control towers to look right by using the original tiles in a 2 square format, so I put it on hold until I could get make some new graphics that fitted the 2 squares better.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Very nicely done!

It would also be nice to see an upgrade of the small airport from dirt fields to concrete or asphalt come in earlier than the commuter airport. Airports by the 1930s were using gravel instead of dry grass and dirt runways, and were using asphalt and concrete by the 1940s.

I also recently spoke with Planetmaker about possibly implementing Quast65's Seaplane Aiport into the set. He welcomed me to submit a patch, but I've yet had any time to work on it. Somebody feel free to run with that idea. :-)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:Very nicely done!

It would also be nice to see an upgrade of the small airport from dirt fields to concrete or asphalt come in earlier than the commuter airport. Airports by the 1930s were using gravel instead of dry grass and dirt runways, and were using asphalt and concrete by the 1940s.

I also recently spoke with Planetmaker about possibly implementing Quast65's Seaplane Aiport into the set. He welcomed me to submit a patch, but I've yet had any time to work on it. Somebody feel free to run with that idea. :-)
OGFX+ Airports has had a Modern Small airport for quite some time now... Just keep clicking the button for rotations and you'll see it.
Attachments
Modern Small.png
Modern Small.png (19.02 KiB) Viewed 5343 times

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Aha! Never occurred to me to continue clicking past the four rotations. I clearly see now how easily alternate graphics could be implemented now, so if somebody were to ever get motivated enough to re-draw the entire Combined Set airport graphics in all four directions, it could easily slide right in.

Something I just noticed though - landing strip lights aren't animated. Didn't they used to be animated?
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

kamnet wrote:I also recently spoke with Planetmaker about possibly implementing Quast65's Seaplane Aiport into the set. He welcomed me to submit a patch, but I've yet had any time to work on it. Somebody feel free to run with that idea. :-)
I have done that in my set, I could probably tidy up the code and post it as a patch here. Also related question, any interest to include Quast65's entire airport object set in the airports GRF? Since they share sprites it makes some sense to combine the two files.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

The best place to post patches is in the issue tracker of the project. The patch can be discussed there, and it doesn't get lost in the other discussions.
There is of course no harm in posting a link here too if you so desire.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:Something I just noticed though - landing strip lights aren't animated. Didn't they used to be animated?
They are animated for me... are you sure it isn't a setting on your end preventing animation?

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddy Arfik wrote:
kamnet wrote:I also recently spoke with Planetmaker about possibly implementing Quast65's Seaplane Aiport into the set. He welcomed me to submit a patch, but I've yet had any time to work on it. Somebody feel free to run with that idea. :-)
I have done that in my set, I could probably tidy up the code and post it as a patch here. Also related question, any interest to include Quast65's entire airport object set in the airports GRF? Since they share sprites it makes some sense to combine the two files.
Personally I think it would make the most sense to put all the airport objects together, but i can see where some people might not want that due to download size. still, Quast65 has been doing a lot of work with his own idea for airport, and I just donated not only all my sprites but the sprites from RSpeed Tycoon's Fake Airports set. They're under GPLv2 and mine are in Public Domain, so no issues using them here either. A lot of those sprites are going to clash with both the TTD and OpenGFX styles, though. Lots of pros and cons here.

So, maybe on second thought, perhaps not.
Supercheese wrote:
kamnet wrote:Something I just noticed though - landing strip lights aren't animated. Didn't they used to be animated?
They are animated for me... are you sure it isn't a setting on your end preventing animation?
Aha! Yep, I disabled full animation. Didn't realize it. Thank you!
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Interesting to see that this is still in development and that more airports may be added!
Indeed, I am working on an elaborate new-object set. But its public release is not ready yet, It needs a couple of weeks work.
However, the graphics are totally different from OpenGFX and my set would look best combined with an actual airport that has almost no graphics on it at all (at least no buildings or other "elevated" graphics).
And it may also need a new kind of airport lay-out....

So I dont think that adding my graphics would suit this particular development.

But I welcome any developers to contact me if they want to experiment with some of the base tiles (like run/taxiways) to see how it would look, maybe we can come up with something nice that could exist next to this development!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

So, I wanted to banish all modern heliports from my game in the 1920s because there were no helicopters then, darnit, only airships. Thus, Airship Depots and Airship Stations:
Attachments
Airship Depots.png
Airship Depots.png (12.92 KiB) Viewed 5146 times
Air Stations.png
Air Stations.png (15.03 KiB) Viewed 5146 times

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Supercheese wrote:So, I wanted to banish all modern heliports from my game in the 1920s because there were no helicopters then, darnit, only airships. Thus, Airship Depots and Airship Stations:
That looks nice. Please be my guest to add these as early versions for the heliports to this NewGRF (and same with the commuter airport) :)
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

planetmaker wrote:That looks nice. Please be my guest to add these as early versions for the heliports to this NewGRF (and same with the commuter airport) :)
Will do, just gotta polish everything up and submit a patch. :)

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Supercheese wrote:So, I wanted to banish all modern heliports from my game in the 1920s because there were no helicopters then, darnit, only airships. Thus, Airship Depots and Airship Stations:
Looks a lot nicer than my own hack, Airship High-Mooring Mast. Maybe needs a small shack or other building for waiting passengers?

Looks like it would be suitable for hot air balloons as well. May I suggest setting this to debut 1783, the first recorded date of untethered manned hot air balloon flight?

Return to “Graphics Development”