It's possible to create a long time game?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Balthoraz
Engineer
Engineer

It's possible to create a long time game?

Post by Balthoraz »

Hello, I am a big fanatic of Transport Tycoon and, of course, an usual player of OpenTTD with a lot of mods.

Looking the high variety of mods, developers and coders here, I was thinking if it is possible to create a unique and complete mod. I mean, create something big, that gives you a lot of hours changing some concepts of the game (not sure if it is possible).

I explain better. I wanted to create a trainset with spanish trains (I'm from Spain) from it's beginning to actuality, and then I seen the 2CC Trainset who gets some trains of different countries then that's my suggestion.

It is possible to create a 'empire' from 1400-1500 to actuality?
For that you will use some transports of that era (specially ships) and changing the scneario throught the pass of time. (Buildings, landscape, etc)

Is it possible?
Last edited by Balthoraz on 12 Sep 2019 01:02, edited 3 times in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: It is possible to create a long time game?

Post by Eddi »

you can change a lot of things. there's a NewGRF with sailing ships, and there are horse-drawn carriages and stuff. buildings can have an era assigned to them in which they can be built, and how long they should stick around. likewise you can do that with industries (although the maximum number of industry types is limited)

you can (currently) only have one type of road, so that may look a bit awkward. also, the landscape cannot change over time either.
Balthoraz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Balthoraz »

Eddi wrote:you can change a lot of things. there's a NewGRF with sailing ships, and there are horse-drawn carriages and stuff. buildings can have an era assigned to them in which they can be built, and how long they should stick around. likewise you can do that with industries (although the maximum number of industry types is limited)

you can (currently) only have one type of road, so that may look a bit awkward. also, the landscape cannot change over time either.
Looks really intersting. What about roads? They can change thought the pass of time? For example, start from an era as sand roads or dirt roads, bricks roads and pavement?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote:
Balthoraz wrote:
Eddi wrote:you can change a lot of things. there's a NewGRF with sailing ships, and there are horse-drawn carriages and stuff. buildings can have an era assigned to them in which they can be built, and how long they should stick around. likewise you can do that with industries (although the maximum number of industry types is limited)

Looks really intersting. What about roads? They can change thought the pass of time? For example, start from an era as sand roads or dirt roads, bricks roads and pavement?
no
No... kinda. As of right now, only one type of road surface is available at any given time. You can have road surfaces by era, though. The former North American Roads and its successor Canadian (International) Roads did this. The problem is that if you are actively playing from one era and into the next, the surface can't change. However, if you save your game and exit, the next time you resume that game the current surface will be in use, but the previous surface is now gone.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Balthoraz wrote:It is possible to create a 'empire' from 1400-1500 to actuality?
There are no vehicles available before 1700. Then you've got the first horse carriages in eGRVTS2 and the little Brig in the Sailing Ships GRF to play with. I'll also recommend the FIRS industry set and the Squid (Fish2) ship set, the latter makes ships in general more profitable.

The game is perfectly playable from 1700, but most things have a definite 20th century look. I don't think anybody has made graphics going much further back than 1900.
Balthoraz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Balthoraz »

leifbk wrote:
Balthoraz wrote:It is possible to create a 'empire' from 1400-1500 to actuality?
There are no vehicles available before 1700. Then you've got the first horse carriages in eGRVTS2 and the little Brig in the Sailing Ships GRF to play with. I'll also recommend the FIRS industry set and the Squid (Fish2) ship set, the latter makes ships in general more profitable.

The game is perfectly playable from 1700, but most things have a definite 20th century look. I don't think anybody has made graphics going much further back than 1900.
I can make graphics, this isn't a problem for me at all. And I was specting and looking to create something from 19th Century to 21st Century. Of course, railroads will start as horse carriages based on real life carriages. I seen a lack of futuristic vehicles (excluding tubes grf) and futuristic vehicles/planes/ships.
Balthoraz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Balthoraz »

Also, how a project like this should be called? ?(
Dave

Post by Dave »

Renaissance Set? Fits your timescale
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Balthoraz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Balthoraz »

Dave wrote:Renaissance Set? Fits your timescale
Due we can't change the landscape I decided to create something from 19th Century to 21st Century.

It will include trains, planes, road vehicles, ships, etc.
I'm working on the documentation of all of them. Now starting with airplanes it will include more than 200 planes.

Should I create a post with all information relating the project? And where?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Balthoraz wrote:
Due we can't change the landscape I decided to create something from 19th Century to 21st Century.
You can change the landscape. You can either create a NewGRF which changes some landscape elements, such as with the OpengGFX+ or OpenGFX Mars sets, or you can just create a new base set, such as with zBase or OpenGFX, which includes even more things to change.
Balthoraz wrote:It will include trains, planes, road vehicles, ships, etc. I'm working on the documentation of all of them. Now starting with airplanes it will include more than 200 planes.
Are you sure you want to include that many? It's a very huge task. Look at World Airliners Set, that's been a work-in-progress for three years, just for planes. Also look at 2CC Train Set, also a very long WIP.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

I don't think we should rest until we have nomads carrying around packets of berries, say 1t of berries (as this is the lowest you could carry in openttd). Perhaps they cost about 17$ and have a running cost of about 1$.

I think that's what the 3rd world is running on these days, and if you account for reverse inflation to 10,000 bc, then $1 is about a trillion dollars, so ya.
Balthoraz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Balthoraz »

kamnet wrote:
Balthoraz wrote:
You can change the landscape. You can either create a NewGRF which changes some landscape elements, such as with the OpengGFX+ or OpenGFX Mars sets, or you can just create a new base set, such as with zBase or OpenGFX, which includes even more things to change.
Balthoraz wrote:It will include trains, planes, road vehicles, ships, etc. I'm working on the documentation of all of them. Now starting with airplanes it will include more than 200 planes.
Are you sure you want to include that many? It's a very huge task. Look at World Airliners Set, that's been a work-in-progress for three years, just for planes. Also look at 2CC Train Set, also a very long WIP.
Yep, I know about that work. But I expect that someone will join to the team for develop all of them or incluse use 3rd party works for the NewGRF. The problem is, I do not have knowledgement of NewGRF codes, so I can only work on models and data info.

Sapphire united wrote:I don't think we should rest until we have nomads carrying around packets of berries, say 1t of berries (as this is the lowest you could carry in openttd). Perhaps they cost about 17$ and have a running cost of about 1$.

I think that's what the 3rd world is running on these days, and if you account for reverse inflation to 10,000 bc, then $1 is about a trillion dollars, so ya.
Yeah, for that reason God created the Horse and Donkey.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Sapphire united wrote:I don't think we should rest until we have nomads carrying around packets of berries, say 1t of berries (as this is the lowest you could carry in openttd).
Untrue, you can do things like "1 sack of berries". See for instance "crates of goods" and "bags of mail".
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Balthoraz wrote:

I'm working on the documentation of all of them. Now starting with airplanes it will include more than 200 planes.

I suppose it would go in a NewGRF topic.

But 19th century airplanes???
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Balthoraz wrote:Also, how a project like this should be called? ?(
I've thought of "Revolution". The whole world has been totally transformed during the last 400-500 years, from the Scientific Revolution which started in the 1600s, via the Industrial Revolution which started in England around 1750 (and is still not over), the social revolutions and upheavals 1789-1848, and of course the revolutionary changes in transport and communication from the pre-industrial horse & sail era until the present day.
Balthoraz wrote:Due we can't change the landscape I decided to create something from 19th Century to 21st Century.
As Kamnet says, that's not true. You can change almost anything.
Balthoraz wrote:It will include trains, planes, road vehicles, ships, etc.
Whoa there - what we definitely don't need in this game, is more modern vehicles :)

I'd rather focus on pre-industrial and early industrial designs, and build upon the excellent work done by others in this community. For instance, the FIRS industry set can very well be extended with graphichs covering specific time periods. And then there are the houses, and the roads, and ... just about everything.

You should also think of ways to limit early production and city growth. Megacities is a 20th century phenomenon. I'm just turning off city growth in my early games, but there are several ways to do it automatically.
Balthoraz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Balthoraz »

Baldy's Boss wrote:
Balthoraz wrote:

I suppose it would go in a NewGRF topic.

But 19th century airplanes???
Of course, we will not do 19th century planes :P Planes will start at 20th century (1918)
Trains will start at 19th Century (1830)
Road vehicles will start at 19th Century (1800)
Ships will start at 19th Century (1800)

leifbk wrote:
Balthoraz wrote:Also, how a project like this should be called? ?(
I've thought of "Revolution". The whole world has been totally transformed during the last 400-500 years, from the Scientific Revolution which started in the 1600s, via the Industrial Revolution which started in England around 1750 (and is still not over), the social revolutions and upheavals 1789-1848, and of course the revolutionary changes in transport and communication from the pre-industrial horse & sail era until the present day.
Totally agree with you, and "Revolution" sounds good.

leifbk wrote:As Kamnet says, that's not true. You can change almost anything.
Well, he means to change ingame the sprites for example, on 1500 start with sand roads, in 1700 change to other kind of roads, etc. But, now as we will do from 19th to 21st Century (Probably 22?) this isn't a problem at all.
leifbk wrote: Whoa there - what we definitely don't need in this game, is more modern vehicles :)
Whoa, I always loved to play thourgh the pass of time and look all my infrastructure modernizing including my vehicles, trains, etc. I think, playing on 2050 or 2100 is not bad really and can give you more options with adecuate industry.

[/quote="leifbk"]
I'd rather focus on pre-industrial and early industrial designs, and build upon the excellent work done by others in this community. For instance, the FIRS industry set can very well be extended with graphichs covering specific time periods. And then there are the houses, and the roads, and ... just about everything.

You should also think of ways to limit early production and city growth. Megacities is a 20th century phenomenon. I'm just turning off city growth in my early games, but there are several ways to do it automatically.[/quote]
I'm using FIRS actually and I see it very complete. I will think on a way to enhance it adding more industries or increasing the supply chain for it.

For City Grow, ¿maybe a negative multiplier of goods from certain to other year?
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Does the code support the graphics for particular industries being related to when they started,and remaining keyed to those founding dates after saved games are reloaded?(Also,they should expand (bigger buildings if not more tiles) as they become more productive,and get more disused-looking if production declines).

Even the Romans had stone roads on key routes.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Does the code support the graphics for particular industries being related to when they started,and remaining keyed to those founding dates after saved games are reloaded?(Also,they should expand (bigger buildings if not more tiles) as they become more productive,and get more disused-looking if production declines).

Even the Romans had stone roads on key routes.
An industry knows when it was founded and by which means (map creation, player, or game), thus you can choose the graphics depending on that. You cannot add more tiles to an existing industry, though, thus its size is fixed. Of course you could add tiles to the layout which show as empty and at a later date display whatever you like on those tiles previously shown as empty.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

ECS does this, try it :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”