Suggestions Thread

A TTD clone that was under development. Development has now been stopped.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Suggestions Thread

Post by Grunt »

I believe that there should be a suggestions thread on this forum, such that we can assemble all of the ideas for this game in one place... if someone wants to compile the ideas on the TTS forum and post them here go ahead. If you've got an idea that you want to go here feel free to post it here. ;)
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Ok, so I have compiled a list.

taller bridges(stone or Iron)

Events e.g. New concrete discovered, price of concrete sleepers falls

BIG ports that can be added to

Some activity from cars and other ships like yauts (can't spell it)

Trams (preffered over buses, twice as much capacity and able to go anywhere the

road goes and sometimes off road to go across a roundabout or U curve.

Simple disasters, like WW2, when factories are destroyed by bombers.

Planes use different altitudes.

Diagonal roads and bridges.

Different Seasons affect passenger amounts (Summer)

Planes can leave map and go international. eg. A world map comes up and u click where to go based on plane type ( Vickers Viscounts can't go to Australia from UK

Be able to lower ground beneath water level.

Cliffs and vertical stuff.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

More:

New primary industries that occupy more space around it if no stations take away goods.

Cliff Railways to acess high up industries.

Aerial Ropways ( Cable cars)

Trains NEED two squares to completly stop, and bridges can collapse, so if a bridge collapses, then train will derail into the void. It happened in real life (tay bridge disaster). Trains can stop in a station easily, the standard Home and distant signals could help.

Disasters like mass flooding due to rain or Global flooding.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Passengers and mail have specific destinations rather than just any old vehicle that happens by - and are willing to change vehicles to progress on their way.

Three position signals on mainline one-way signals - normal green and red, but also yellow "caution" in which the train slows down if there is a train in the next-next block.

Refittable aircraft as to % of mail vs passengers

A larger-size airport that can handle more planes, and do so more efficiently

Dedicate heliport on larger airports so choppers don't get in the way on the runways

Ability to have underground railways (with switches, signals, stations); elevated railways on pylons/girders (also with switches, signals, stations); and ramps to get from one to the other (like going up a one-level hill)

Highways/Autobahns, where road vehicles can go faster

Undersea tunnels - basically, the tunnel-building code ignores the presence of the sea which blocks it in normal TTD, so you dig down one level on either side and the tunnel connects through

Station catchement area depends on the size of the station, not just 4 squares away from the edge of the station. Airports should suck in at least 10 squares awa, for instance

Mixed-mode vehicles, e.g. seaplanes that can land on the water and dock at a pier, and also land at an airport on the runway.

Better and more comprehensible city-growth algorithm, so that for instance "Fund new commercial buildings" actually stay there, and don't just get demolished the next year

More TYPES of industries, traincars, etc., for more complicated industrial vectors

Density control on new maps - since the maps can be so much larger, we can have more space between things so they don't get so crowded

Working IP-based multiplayer mode, and supporting more than 2 players
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

BIG SHIPS

the ability to fund the building of leisure centres and footie pitches and amusement parks in towns (like bribe)

vehicles upgrades:

Upgrade engine sacrificing reliability
Upgrade reliability sacrificing low running costs

capacity would stay same as would some others (Age etc)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I suggest to avoid graphical glitches liek in TTD
(bigger/longer Ship and bridge or longer train engine and tunnel)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't think we should have ships much longer than MB's current set because they will be too dang big, and how the heck do you get them to turn a corner? What's wrong with the ones we have now?

Likewise, I don't think we should have locos any longer than the Centennial in the Tropicset, again because it looks bizarre when it goes round the corner. The curves in TTD is preposterously sharp, but that's OK because we are used to it. However, it does limit what you can do. The Long Vehicles will be OK because we can fix it so the trailers follow the cabs round the corner, not all in one piece.

Long bridges are OK, and multi-level viaducts will be great. The viaducts should look different though - in normal TTD bridges there are support pylons on the edges of each square. For a viaduct that was two or three levels up, it coudl be huge arches so it had supports only ever two, three, or four square, thus allowing not just track but even buildings to remain under the bridge. This is realistic.

I dunno about the vehicel upgrade idea, there are many games with that sort of thing and I think it might be too confusing. Maybe better just to leave them alone and you pick the most appropriate vehicle from the list. The new game won't have any limit to have many vehicle types there can be, so there can be a bunch.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

This is more of a meta-suggestion.

To me, it makes more sense to have people post suggestions in their own threads, and keep a central suggestions thread (possibly locked) which moderators can use to keep track of ideas in a logically ordered fashion.
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Agreed. But actually it is worse than that, because there are two competing suggestions forums - this one, and then the one dedicated to TTSD at its own website. Is there any way to link the two?

I think the best way would be to have one, linked, forum in which people could start threads for individual suggestions and then have them discussed, and then have a "sticky" thread that only the TTSD crew could add to, where they would list suggestions that will be in rev 1, rev 2, etc., and rejected suggestions.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

not a bad idea, though ppl could post double suggestions here.
Anyway, it's too early to decide which suggestions we're going to implement in which version, and which we're going to reject.

I had some talk with Balloz about the forums, we will decide which forum we will keep when releasing the techdemo.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I guess I'm sort of torn. I'd love to see comments from you guys about what YOU think about the suggestions, and about how the work is coming along... but time you spend posting is time you DON'T spend coding.
:roll:
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

At the moment time spent posting is time NOT spent studying for me. In about 2 weeks I will be coding again. In the mean while you shouldn't expect updates from me. Balloz is still working on the GUI though.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

A new industry type could be Slate quarries, I mean, Slate is all around the world on your roofs :)
geophilip2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by geophilip2 »

Different Seasons affect passenger amounts (Summer)
The touristic project
-Make the citys located near the seas provide a huge amount of passengers during the summer

-new types of industries: Beaches, Club Mediterranee, Ski resorts (would cover large spaces in mountains like farms do) Amusement parks (could use some of rc tycoon graphics as an hommage to Chris Sawyer), congress centers, hotels (you could maybe manage it-- a lot of air companies do own hotels), monuments and sight-seeings

-touristic train and boat lines

and

-Let you manage the prices of tickets (like in RCT), so the concurrence is possible, you can make a low-cost company etc...

-make all the productions increase during the sales periods (september and january I think )

with all this the game would be economicly more realistic. Apparently, sawyer forgot when he created the game that tourism is one of the main reasons for people to travel
this is where I used to live in my avatar, not where I'm from
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Ummm. The only way all that would be relevant, is if the passengers had a definite destination (Frummfort) or at least a general one (Vacation spot) rather than just taking the next available vehicle.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Some stations have demand rates for things and if you satisfy the demand rate, you get higher prices
Deuce
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deuce »

Thanks to krtaylor, advised me to put this suggestion on this forum.

It's all explained in my other thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=114591

Thank you. Any comments are much appreciated.
geophilip2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by geophilip2 »

krtaylor wrote:Ummm. The only way all that would be relevant, is if the passengers had a definite destination (Frummfort) or at least a general one (Vacation spot) rather than just taking the next available vehicle.
Yes for me it was so clear that i didn't precised
this is where I used to live in my avatar, not where I'm from
ChaosDeathFish
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ChaosDeathFish »

How about some kind of configurable alert system, which you can set up to tell you when certain things happen. This'd help a lot in tuning your transport system and finding silly mistakes. eg:

When a train reverses direction because it hits the wrong end of a one-way signal

When a vehicle spends too long waiting for goods (configurable time)

When a vehicle spends too long waiting to get into a station (configurable time) or circling a station in a waiting loop configuration

When a vehicle can't find a route to its destination

I'm sure other people can think of other useful alerts to have, this will help avoid silly mistakes like missing out a piece of track, putting signals the wrong way round etc.
TBOT
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by TBOT »

ChaosDeathFish wrote: I'm sure other people can think of other useful alerts to have, this will help avoid silly mistakes like missing out a piece of track, putting signals the wrong way round etc.
Well it may avoid _some_ silly mistakes. Suppose you have a double track all around the map. Then you connect a crossover for some station to be connected to it. Accidentally you connect a signal the wrong way around, what will a train do?
In TTD most of the time it hits the signal and turns around. TTS won't have that problem due to the better pathfinding that will be implemented. In this crossover example it would be most likely the train heads the other way on the double track, and goes around the map to get to it's station.

Of course there are silly mistakes left that might be detected, as you said failing pathfinding is a good example. For those events we will probably refer to the console window first, in later stages it might become some sort of news message.

Return to “Transport Unlimited”