Bringing TT-Forums into the mobile age

The latest news about the forums and the Transport Tycoon world is posted here.
Please also read the rules here before posting elsewhere in the forum.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Bringing TT-Forums into the mobile age

Post by orudge »

As many of you know, TT-Forums has been around for quite some time now - 12 years, and in that time, the forums haven't changed that much. All this will change from this afternoon though, when I will be replacing the forums with a new, more social communication system.

- All posts to be limited to 140 characters
- "Hashtags" will be automatically detected and can be used to find similar posts
- You'll be able to "like" posts and repost them for all your friends to see
- Trending topics will be displayed to enable you to see what's hot
- Advertising will be inserted into every 10th or so post
- A new mobile app will be released

I'm sure you'll agree this has the potential to revolutionise the way you chat. No longer will you have to wade through long, boring posts with actual content in them. Join the social revolution, with TT-Forums!

The existing forums will be closed at noon UTC+1 to be replaced with our new social experience.

Any comments, queries, suggestions, feel free to post them here. Maybe start practicing and keep your posts under 140 characters while you're at it! ;)
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Bringing TT-Forums into the mobile age

Post by Katve »

Finally ! I have waited for this so long ! Finally we can bring this forum to 2014.

Happy April Fools guys !
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I would actually, seriously appreciate a smartphone-friendly phpBB template very much. (#mobilettfplz :) )
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

orudge wrote:As many of you know, TT-Forums has been around for quite some time now - 12 years, and in that time, the forums haven't changed that much. All this will change from this afternoon though, when I will be replacing the forums with a new, more social communication system.
That is much needed, this forum should go with the times, and not stick in some ancient era, before it ends up just like Windows XP, some kind of relic from long gone times that people desperately clamp on to.
- All posts to be limited to 140 characters
Why that many characters? If you need that many characters to express your opinion, you're doing something wrong. You only need 3 characters to say Yes or No. And will old posts be cut off at 140 characters? That would clean up tremendously.
- "Hashtags" will be automatically detected and can be used to find similar posts
#You could #reduce your #number of #characters by replacing "Hashtags" by #, seems you're not ready for the big #change.
- You'll be able to "like" posts and repost them for all your friends to see
So then everyone can see the stupid things I post?
- Trending topics will be displayed to enable you to see what's hot
You mean there will be a permanent link to this topic?
- Advertising will be inserted into every 10th or so post
Only every 10 posts? What about topics with less posts? They also deserve a decent amount of ads. Every post should be an ad, with some useful things in between.
- A new mobile app will be released
A mobile app? Will that app run on the old Nokia 3310, or only the redesigned one?
I'm sure you'll agree this has the potential to revolutionise the way you chat. No longer will you have to wade through long, boring posts with actual content in them. Join the social revolution, with TT-Forums!
Finally, those long boring posts with something representing content, we can miss those. It needs to be more simple.
The existing forums will be closed at noon UTC+1 to be replaced with our new social experience.
Do you have an estimate on when the new one will be live? I can't wait for this experience.
Any comments, queries, suggestions, feel free to post them here. Maybe start practicing and keep your posts under 140 characters while you're at it! ;)
I failed, guess this is more than 140 characters, but luckily I still have some hours before the change is made.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

orudge wrote:- You'll be able to "like" posts and repost them for all your friends to see
You could've told me about these plans when I was fiddling with the buttons for the Winter Theme. Could've made a "like" button.

Oh snap, I'm over...
Last edited by Purno on 01 Apr 2014 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

...140 characters.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Amusing...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

#Trolololol
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Having given further consideration to this, these plans may be put on hold for a while. Snapchat's apparently the new thing, so maybe instead of having text entry fields, we should reshape the forums to only work with pictures. ;)
oberhümer wrote:I would actually, seriously appreciate a smartphone-friendly phpBB template very much. (#mobilettfplz :) )
Well, we do have Tapatalk support, so you can download the Tapatalk app and access the forums through that. As for a mobile theme, I will look into that once we move to phpBB 3.1 I think, as it would probably be useful.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I was upset at first when I noticed that, despite it being past noon, the forums are still the same old. I'm looking forward to #TTSnap
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Are all of these being considered? I'm all for most of them (though I've never been much of a twitter person), but I don't think I can express myself in 140 characters, and a few of my friends in the Nations Game would probably agree :wink:
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

orudge wrote:Having given further consideration to this, these plans may be put on hold for a while. Snapchat's apparently the new thing, so maybe instead of having text entry fields, we should reshape the forums to only work with pictures. ;)
Will we also have 10 second limit of viewing threads ?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I think. I can't tell. You how excited. I am ab out. This new change!
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Just wen i strted txting w/ proper grmr 2

In all seriousness though, that's the only objection I have.
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

... checking date ...
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Happy April Fools Owen :D
Zakos wrote: few of my friends in the Nations Game would probably agree :wink:
Indeed I do
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

26 characters.
Nailed it!
:P
Attachments
Not_enough_characters.png
Not_enough_characters.png (46.9 KiB) Viewed 10541 times
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
beeurd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by beeurd »

Would probably be funnier if I didn't already mostly use the forums on the Tapatalk app. :p
Long time TT addict, long time forum lurker.
Oh, and I run a Star Wars fan site.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

skippern wrote:... checking date ...
I had a hunch, but I'm still not sure :oops:
kamnet wrote:437 Spammers Effectively Advertise to TT-Forums because of THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK!
God no...

Return to “News”