A general hello and help request

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

A general hello and help request

Post by Baldy's Boss »

My first posting here.

I first played Transport Tycoon in 1995 or so on my 486 DX4-120 and had a "manager" I dubbed "Baldy Specs" for his appearance,the company was named for him...hence my username.I couldn't figure out how to get past the limits on the number of savegames or stations so was frustrated but enjoyed it.(I have never seen the "Deluxe" version).

A few years ago I discovered OpenTTD and the subdirectory trick for having more savegames in Original TT,so started playing...
OpenTTD (1.1.x) on a Dell Poweredge 2650 running FreeBSD 7.x,until the X server part became inoperable.
TT Original under DOSbox on a Pentium 4 running Windows XP,which recently died from bad hard disk sectors.

I now have a brand new i7-3770k homebuilt running FreeBSD 10 and OpenTTD 1.3.3 (I did install DOSbox but have not obtained a Transport Tycoon executable).
I am an avid player but can't claim to be a particularly experienced or skilled one.I'm not very good with switches and signals as of yet,and suspect that my style slants against success (I think it's unrealistic/unethical to ship a cargo to a customer who's not one of the nearest,for example,and my desire to individually arrange transactions can be impractical when the company gets too big and too full of obsolete equipment.).

(Is there any NewGRF or whatever that integrates the Jinty,Crab,and D49 into the OpenTTD trainset?)

Since the recent install I've had three games/worlds started.It's my inclination to build nothing but trains,but I buy out competitors who may be diversified.This results in my being unfamiliar with most of my holdings,which are often designed in ways I find inconvenient (the AIs tend to build cookie-cutter stations with no room to expand the assigned trains,and to make signal blocks that barely fit those unexpandable trains...I like to lengthen a train that's doing well).I'm sure that there are many places where stations can be combined,tracks realigned,infrastructure used more efficiently,and so forth.And any experienced players up to a challenge are welcome to do some "management consulting" to help me out of the situations into which I've played myself.I'd also like to FTP some 2011 save-games off the Poweredge,but for now,if I can get the upload-feature figured out,here are the latest savegames from those three.If my situation is too far gone in the more advanced games I can offer earlier stages.

Betston Blue finds me utterly outclassed by one of the AI competitors...is there any way to get back to a leading market position?

Gondborough Rail Group (I usually site my HQ by what is the largest town when the world's created,though it may lose that position,in this case look at Grunnway and Ladhattan) has me in a dominant market position but utter financial free-fall...maintenance costs are killing me,my cash pile has gone from 85 million to 6 million.A few game months before the final save my biggest competitor came to me begging for a bankruptcy buyout,I also have a save from just before I did that.The busiest coal mine has an example of my style next to AI style service (I just electrified the line I bought from an AI) while the Gundtown mine and Wonnway forest show two separate acquisitions that once competed side by side.The Drontbourne passenger service (which I'm sure could be tweaked to yield more than the current million-a-year profit) shows the vslue of patience...they wouldn't let me build my station after I cleared the site for it,but I waited some years and they're piling onto my trains now.

Old Plonnville Green R.R. Co. is a fairly undeveloped game,with an unusually early start date.The only available locomotive was the Collett Pannier(and I note the AIs seem unequipped to deal with its limitations).Even earlier starts would require earlier locos to be available,while I wish the New York Central Niagara (a 4-8-4 giant much more powerful than the 8P) was available as the ultimate steam option,or maybe the UP 4-8-8-4.But that's getting into suggestion-box material,I could go on for hours.

Right now,I'm grateful for any help pointing out my problems and the solutions.What to keep,what to sell,how to fix.
Thank you!
Attachments
GondboroughRailGroup,14thJun2003.sav
The biggest network,in the worst trouble.
(3.97 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
Betston BlueRailroadCompany,30thJul1968.sav
How'd I let that AI get so far past me?
(4.02 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
OldPlonnvilleGreenR.R.Co.,1stAug1940.sav
Usually I START games in 1940...I'm number one here now,but do I have the seeds of doom?
(3.72 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
Brumi
President
President

Re: A general hello and help request

Post by Brumi »

Regarding Gondborough Rail Group:
I advise you to sort your trains by 'profit last year' in ascending order, and see why they are making you lose money. For example, Train 3 cannot enter its destination station because the destination station is not electrified. You should use 'convert rail' on the station as well.
Train 17 is not profitable because the factory from which it's supposed to pick up goods doesn't produce anything; the farm from which the factory was being supplied has closed down. You should pay attention do closing industries ;)
Train 117 and its buddies: you are running way too many trains on that line. I suggest you to sell some of them or make them shorter.
The same thing applies to Train 118 and its group, and there may be some other overloaded lines as well.
Train 164 and its group: there are some un-electrified parts in the line. I think a good strategy for electrifying is to simply drag as large as you can, basically electrifying the whole map. Of course if you don't want to keep some un-electrified tracks for eyecandy or financial reasons.
You still have steamers in 2003 which are ages old. You shouldn't be using models which are no longer available, because their reliabilitl drops very suddenly and they break down really often (even more so because the amount of breakdowns is 'normal' in your settings which is actually the highest). And you should also replace trains when they get old, because old vehicles break down way more. They can't even get to their destination without breaking down 10's of times. If you like your steamers and don't like the fact that they're unavailable after a certain date, consider enabling 'vehicles never expire' in the Advanced Settings.

So I advise you to sell your unprofitable and/or old trains immediately, even by building a depot just in front of them if they can't get to the depot because of the breakdowns :P See why your trains are unprofitable and try to repair the situation. You may consider stopping all your vehicles (using the little red dot/flag in the Trains / Road vehicles window) so you won't lose your money fast. 6 million pounds should be able to save your company, although I'm not used to playing with inflation enabled...

P.S.: I advise you not to buy your bankrupt competitors in a situation like this. They went bankrupt for a reason, and you're taking their unprofitable assets which you may get confused in.

EDIT: Breakdowns seem to be the problem in your other game as well. You might consider the obvious solution of lowering the amount of breakdowns or disabling them altogether. Or if you want to keep it this way, you must pay more attention to the maintenance of your vehicles, most importantly by replacing your old locomotives. And I see you make them go to servicing if their reliability drops below 80%. I don't know if it's an efficient strategy, I haven't done it like this yet. I usually enable the flag 'service if needed' on my depot orders, so that they will skip that order id they have been recently serviced. This basically does the same thing as you but it may be a bit better. Or you can make them go to the depot on every trip (even multiple times) if they break down too much.

For trainsets, see the UK Renewal Train Set (UKRS), the North American Renewal Set (NARS) or the 2cc Trainset if you want some more real-life locomotives. Of course there are some more really good NewGRFs out there, this post is quite a good summary of some popular NewGRFs. But beware, some of these train sets have really high running costs...
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Ack,one square not electrified,or not rebuilt after a track realignment,can cause such problems,but I had missed Trains 3 and 164 though I do do train profit sorts frequently.I've switched the option for industries that I serve to "full" rather than "summary" notice,the little ticker is too easy to miss.

I really wish there was a setting somewhere between the default and "vehicles never expire".When a train goes off the market,its running costs should go up,perhaps one should be offered a reverse exclusive (you can start as the only one able to buy a certain model,so why not end that way if you pay for the privilege?)...but it makes no sense that a model built the last day it's on sale is just as broken-down as one built the first day it's on sale.

I usually only buy competitors who are showing better profit margins than I have.(The service-under-80 orders all are inherited from purchased AIs...my sometime strategy to force service (not employed in this game) is to take out the tracks passing a depot so all trains go in and out to get to their destinations).

Do those NewGRF sets add to,or replace,the default set?

Thanks for the input,more advice certainly welcome.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

NewGRF sets can either replace the default vehicles, or add to them, depending on how the author codes the set.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Is it clear how the set is coded before you switch it on?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Is it clear how the set is coded before you switch it on?
Yes. But the question is whether whether you find and read that documentation, if it exists at all and the author of that set tells you in an accompanying readme or elsewhere.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the ticker summary is an awful feature. while the ticker is running, real news are blocked, and by the time they might appear, they may have timed out. i just turn uninteresting news off completely.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Brumi wrote:Regarding Gondborough Rail Group:
I advise you to sort your trains by 'profit last year' in ascending order, and see why they are making you lose money. For example, Train 3 cannot enter its destination station because the destination station is not electrified. You should use 'convert rail' on the station as well.
Train 17 is not profitable because the factory from which it's supposed to pick up goods doesn't produce anything; the farm from which the factory was being supplied has closed down. You should pay attention do closing industries ;)
Train 117 and its buddies: you are running way too many trains on that line. I suggest you to sell some of them or make them shorter.
The same thing applies to Train 118 and its group, and there may be some other overloaded lines as well.
Train 164 and its group: there are some un-electrified parts in the line. I think a good strategy for electrifying is to simply drag as large as you can, basically electrifying the whole map. Of course if you don't want to keep some un-electrified tracks for eyecandy or financial reasons.
You still have steamers in 2003 which are ages old. You shouldn't be using models which are no longer available, because their reliabilitl drops very suddenly and they break down really often (even more so because the amount of breakdowns is 'normal' in your settings which is actually the highest). And you should also replace trains when they get old, because old vehicles break down way more. They can't even get to their destination without breaking down 10's of times. If you like your steamers and don't like the fact that they're unavailable after a certain date, consider enabling 'vehicles never expire' in the Advanced Settings.

So I advise you to sell your unprofitable and/or old trains immediately, even by building a depot just in front of them if they can't get to the depot because of the breakdowns :P See why your trains are unprofitable and try to repair the situation. You may consider stopping all your vehicles (using the little red dot/flag in the Trains / Road vehicles window) so you won't lose your money fast. 6 million pounds should be able to save your company, although I'm not used to playing with inflation enabled...

EDIT: Breakdowns seem to be the problem in your other game as well.
OK,I made it to July 31st...got 3 and 164 etc the electrification needed,sold trains 13 through 17 (kept the iron ore hoppers of 13 and 16 in the depot at Finnpool Woods,the intention is to electrify that service,but 14,15,17 were sold as whole trains),ordered the empty 18,117,118,and 160 to depots to leave service,and removed the whole infrastructure from the closed farm to the factory.

But the 6.1 million in the bank will all go on property maintenance at the end of the day,and though I can get out of the red during August thanks to ongoing income,I'm not sure how to avoid going back in!
Attachments
GondboroughRailGroup,31stJul2003.sav
Still dominating the market,still in financial free-fall
(3.97 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
bear1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bear1 »

Hello,
Nice to hear from you. I like hearing about how different people approach the game in different ways. I tend to build efficient, profitable networks without any regard for ascetics!
I find buying bankrupt companies is always a load of hassle. The first thing I find I have to do is work my way through their train routes and sort out the lines. I noticed some of the lines you've acquired are filled with right angle turns and awkward junctions. Then of course you might want to combine your stations and routes where that makes sense. It can be satisfying though!

I know that you prefer to stick to trains, but can I suggest some use of buses (see attached picture). This allows you to maximise the number of passengers in the stations, and thus increase profitability. Run buses from each depot to the train station, transferring the passengers so that they can hop on the train.
The Tondhead station is attached to a nice long train link which should be very profitable.
It does need more frequent signalling. There's quick ways to do this with the ctrl+left click shortcut.

I'd also go through and get rid of any stations you don't need (see Buntburg). I don't know if these have great running costs, but I'd like to tidy up!
And lastly I'd get all though horrible junctions sorted out. You're cities are big enough to be providing enough passengers that those lines should be jam packed. Once they are those junctions will collapse.

You've got so much going on with that game it's difficult to unpack. It might be worth closing down some lines until you've got your main routes profitable.

Hope any of that is useful.
Attachments
supply buses.jpg
supply buses.jpg (263.44 KiB) Viewed 413 times
bear1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bear1 »

I've had a tinker with the Old Plunville game. Didn't do a lot, but modified the little passenger line between Plunnville and Wrunley into the way I'd have set it up. Though I normally have trains wait until full, I didn't change that setting as I know many people prefer not to. I also got rid of a couple long tunnels on a coal route near Wrunley, and made the track two way. You can then increase the number of trains using that track.
I tinkered with the trains around Nindworth sawmill, linking in a couple extra woods. I'd be tempted to run goods from there now.
The coal mine served by Mindtown Woods was massively over stocked with trains so I dumped four of those.

Maybe this will give you an idea of how I would play. No better than your style-just different-but perhaps if you're looking for ideas on how to increase profit worth a look.
Attachments
New PlonnvilleGreen.sav
(3.72 MiB) Downloaded 123 times
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

bear1 wrote:Hello,
Nice to hear from you. I like hearing about how different people approach the game in different ways. I tend to build efficient, profitable networks without any regard for ascetics!
I find buying bankrupt companies is always a load of hassle. The first thing I find I have to do is work my way through their train routes and sort out the lines. I noticed some of the lines you've acquired are filled with right angle turns and awkward junctions. Then of course you might want to combine your stations and routes where that makes sense. It can be satisfying though!

I know that you prefer to stick to trains, but can I suggest some use of buses (see attached picture). This allows you to maximise the number of passengers in the stations, and thus increase profitability. Run buses from each depot to the train station, transferring the passengers so that they can hop on the train.
The Tondhead station is attached to a nice long train link which should be very profitable.
It does need more frequent signalling. There's quick ways to do this with the ctrl+left click shortcut.

I'd also go through and get rid of any stations you don't need (see Buntburg). I don't know if these have great running costs, but I'd like to tidy up!
And lastly I'd get all though horrible junctions sorted out. You're cities are big enough to be providing enough passengers that those lines should be jam packed. Once they are those junctions will collapse.

You've got so much going on with that game it's difficult to unpack. It might be worth closing down some lines until you've got your main routes profitable.

Hope any of that is useful.
Thanks.At the stage that I've saved I don't know that there's time to close the lines.I'm not sure which AI (I don't normally buy bankrupt companies,I go for those who are rising in the standings and have better profit margins than my own...but in March '03 my closest rival unexpectedly offered to sell,and since bankruptcy sales unlike market sales don't carry over the acquisition's bank loan I took the risk) put in those trains with the diesel locos and right-angle waypoints/junctions,but I noted a lot of them leave hundreds of passengers on their platforms.It's just that expanding the stations and trains has been a hassle,and I was giving them newer diesels (on my own builds I generally go straight from steam to electric) rather than electrifying.

I recently electrified and updated the rolling stock on the (acquired) Tondhead Cross passenger line,and those trains are indeed profitable...as are my own-build trains to Drontbourne.
Buntburg was part of a V-trade that took grain and livestock from a very productive farm to the factory at Ginnley Heights,then goods from the factory to Buntburg.Expanding that was a great and complicated preoccupation for some time,with frustrating results;I am not sure if it can be turned into something clean and profitable now.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

bear1 wrote:I've had a tinker with the Old Plunville game. Didn't do a lot, but modified the little passenger line between Plunnville and Wrunley into the way I'd have set it up. Though I normally have trains wait until full, I didn't change that setting as I know many people prefer not to. I also got rid of a couple long tunnels on a coal route near Wrunley, and made the track two way. You can then increase the number of trains using that track.
I tinkered with the trains around Nindworth sawmill, linking in a couple extra woods. I'd be tempted to run goods from there now.
The coal mine served by Mindtown Woods was massively over stocked with trains so I dumped four of those.

Maybe this will give you an idea of how I would play. No better than your style-just different-but perhaps if you're looking for ideas on how to increase profit worth a look.
I'll try and give this a look.I love tunnels and put them in wherever affordable.I can't imagine train passengers sitting still waiting for every seat in the car to be taken rather than getting underway.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

often passengers pile up BECAUSE you use full load. while the train waits for a load at one end, the other end overflows. passenger production is usually not equal at both ends.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

bear1 wrote:I've had a tinker with the Old Plunville game. Didn't do a lot, but modified the little passenger line between Plunnville and Wrunley into the way I'd have set it up. Though I normally have trains wait until full, I didn't change that setting as I know many people prefer not to. I also got rid of a couple long tunnels on a coal route near Wrunley, and made the track two way. You can then increase the number of trains using that track.

Took a look.That Mindtown group was an acquisition,I expect the Collett Panniers needed more trains,I upgraded all locos after the buyout.Nindworth Sawmill produced 210 crates of goods,none transported,but one of the two low-production forests you linked is pretty much in the direction I'd want to run a goods train,over to Linston.
Al T.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Al T. »

Biggest problem seems to be constant breakdowns. Turn breakdowns off completely, and set it so vehicles never get old. You'll have a lot more fun.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

But I do like the game to be challenging.
madman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by madman »

To deal with the other question - whether there is a mod to include the TTO vehicles, there is a TTO full conversion (search for TTO in the online content).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Keep in mind "TTO Full Conversion Set" is just that, it reverts ALL of the graphics to those found in the original Transport Tycoon. Because OpenTTD and OpenGFX had added so much more stuff over the years, there are going to be missing graphics, the styles won't match up, and it's going to look a mess.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote:Keep in mind "TTO Full Conversion Set" is just that, it reverts ALL of the graphics to those found in the original Transport Tycoon. Because OpenTTD and OpenGFX had added so much more stuff over the years, there are going to be missing graphics, the styles won't match up, and it's going to look a mess.
Exactly.While I like the original TT look,for OpenTTD purposes I just want to ADD the Jinty as first/smallest steam engine,and the others that were dropped,to the OpenTTD options.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, if you have the sprites somewhere, you can easily make a NewGRF adding a single engine, using the NML tutorial

Return to “General OpenTTD”