TT Meet 2014 - Glasgow - 7th June 2014

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

TT Meet 2014 - Glasgow - 7th June 2014

Post by orudge »

Hey all,

So, we should probably start thinking about this year's TT Meet. And my thinking, as eternal ruler of TT-Forums, is that it should be in Glasgow. We were considering Glasgow a couple of years ago but went for Crewe instead, I think, but Glasgow would be an excellent city for a meet - easily accessible, has a great transport museum, and lots of things to see and do.

Given we have the Commonwealth Games going on in July, an earlier meet (May or June) would seem better, as we have done in the past some times. (Plus I'm getting married in August, so will be quite busy in the weeks leading up to the wedding!). Moving the meet back to a Saturday would probably be better too.

Any thoughts? Hopefully at least a few of you could make it up - Glasgow's pretty well-connected and is a great city just to visit anyway.

Cheers,
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TT Meet 2014 - Glasgow?

Post by Hyronymus »

If it becomes early may I might visit as I'm touring Scotland again then anyway.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'd be happy to see Glasgow. Then again, I'll be busy moving back to Stockholm around May-June and therefore both time and money is limited.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

If it lines up nicely with my schedule, I will be along!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

I'd love to attend for the first time, but I don't think I can say yes or no till the very last moment, as it depends on numerous factors.
Nevertheless, Glasgow seems cumbersome for me - no way to get a direct flight there (even putting price aside for a while) from where I live.
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I shall probably be about in Dundee for the last time in mid-June so that sounds good to me!
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Too early to say for me... although things may change. Glasgow however, is a bit of a trek as I would have to book hotels, etc.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Aycliffe wrote:Too early to say for me... although things may change. Glasgow however, is a bit of a trek as I would have to book hotels, etc.
Those of us heading down south from "up north" have had to do the same for several of the last few meets. ;)
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

vear wrote:Nevertheless, Glasgow seems cumbersome for me - no way to get a direct flight there (even putting price aside for a while) from where I live.
Try getting a flight to Edinburgh. You can get a shuttle bus at the Airport that will take you directly into Buchanan Bus Station in Glasgow. Takes about an hour, depending on traffic.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

orudge wrote:
Aycliffe wrote:Too early to say for me... although things may change. Glasgow however, is a bit of a trek as I would have to book hotels, etc.
Those of us heading down south from "up north" have had to do the same for several of the last few meets. ;)

Not everyone has lots of spare time, though :wink:

I may also have the possibility of starting from Wales, then it'll be a trek!
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Aycliffe wrote:Not everyone has lots of spare time, though :wink:
That particularly applies for me these days! Partially why Glasgow would be good for me this year. ;)
Aycliffe wrote:I may also have the possibility of starting from Wales, then it'll be a trek!
A trip I have done many a time before (North Wales, at any rate).

We should probably have a meet in Wales one of these days. Maybe Born Acorn can organise something next year.
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

GunChleoc wrote:
vear wrote:Nevertheless, Glasgow seems cumbersome for me - no way to get a direct flight there (even putting price aside for a while) from where I live.
Try getting a flight to Edinburgh. You can get a shuttle bus at the Airport that will take you directly into Buchanan Bus Station in Glasgow. Takes about an hour, depending on traffic.
That's more or less what I thought of. Apparently, easyJet flies from Kraków to Edinbirgh, so it mostly depends on how much they're going to charge. And whether other plans show up, as it was in 2013.
Last edited by vear on 11 Feb 2014 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I could do late May, June or July!
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

I might be able to. I'll look into flights and accommodation. I'm ok with sharing a room with someone if they're ok with my snoring.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

£101 for a return from my local station, think I may have to skip this one :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Redirect Left wrote:£101 for a return from my local station, think I may have to skip this one :p
I see Advance Fares from £14.50 each way from Brockholes with a railcard. Not on the actual day of course since they haven't been released yet. First Class fares from £30.70 each way with a railcard.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Redirect Left wrote:£101 for a return from my local station, think I may have to skip this one :p
I can't even find that fare. Did you just look for the walk up fare tomorrow?
Dave

Post by Dave »

If you're going to choose a date within 3-5 months ensure you announce it soon as it will involve v cheap tickets and a v cheap hotel.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Potentially looking at late May or early June; hope to be able to make a decision in the next couple of weeks, so there should be plenty of time to book advance tickets.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ameecher wrote:
I can't even find that fare. Did you just look for the walk up fare tomorrow?
I never buy advance fares, due to the requirement of it being X train at Y time, and it being recommended you sit where you get told to do so. I like the freedom of doing what I want, when I want :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “Off-Topic”