Titlegame for OpenTTD 1.4 series - We have a winner

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Titlegame for OpenTTD 1.4 series - We have a winner

Post by planetmaker »

We have a winner!

A big thank you to all the participants. It has been a very exciting competition this year with many marvelous entries. This shows also in the votes, it's a close call, in each of the two voting rounds:

Final standings are as follows:
3. Place: entry 13 by fonso
2. Place: entry 11 by Ai:T
1. Place and our next titlegame: Entry 2 by Fleashosio.
We will start shipping that savegame with the first release candidate of the 1.4 branch in the next days.

For screenshots with other resolutions or base sets, see the competition page.
Vote count can be verified here

--------------------------- Old announcement for votes -----------------------------

The final round of voting is now open till March 15th 23:59 UTC.

From the first round of votes three games have been shortlisted, entries 02, 11 and 13. Now it's time to choose from these three most favourite ones the single most favourite one. Every person has one vote exactly.

You can either vote by writing me a forum message with the topic "titlegame competition" or write an e-mail to me.

The screenshots and all savegames are available from the titlegame page

--------------------------- Old announcement for submissions -----------------------------

The first round of votes is now open which will result in a shortlist of the top three entries. Everyone is encouraged to vote, where a vote is a ranked list of up to three savegames.

Code: Select all

1. favourite.sav
2. second_best.sav
3. also_good.sav
You can either vote by writing me a forum message with the topic "titlegame competition" or write an e-mail to me.

The screenshots and all savegames are available from the titlegame page

Voting for this first round ends March 2nd, 18h CET.

--------------------------- Old announcement for submissions -----------------------------

In the last years we had a competition for a titlegame to be shipped with the stable releases - and we'd like to do the same with the releases of the 1.4 series.

I'd like to invite all interested parties to create a nice savegame which makes a good showcase for and a nice introduction to OpenTTD.

Deadline for submissions is 15th February 2014, 0:00:00h UTC, later submissions cannot be accepted. Please attach the savegame to this thread. If you update an existing entry, please indicate which savegame it replaces (link to previous posting).

Upon closing of submissions a final list of all entries with screenshots using both OpenGFX and TTD base sets will be published and open to vote for one or two weeks to create a short list of three entries. This short list will then be subject to a 2nd round of voting, open for one week. Details on the voting procedure will follow here in due time, but it's likely to be very similar to the one of last years.

Some guidelines for possible title games:

* Think of it as first-impression of the game. Looking nice and appealing to many people is much more important than 'biggest station', 'most complex junction', or 'most successful company'.
* Map/file size: 256x256 or smaller, maximum of ~150 KiB. You don't need a very big savegame to show a lot, actually most screens can't even show such maps in full. Actually, 128x128 is more than sufficient for 1920x1200, but 64x64 is just a tad small.
* Show as much different things as possible, and try to show how they should be used. For example show the difference between presignals and path signals, standard road stops and drive through road stops. Show steam trains and maglevs, dualheads etc.
* Breakdowns will automatically be disabled, so try the game with breakdowns disabled.
* Cheating for money or making a money losing example isn't a big problem.
* Try to make it visually appealing, also for very big screens. However, put most interesting stuff that doesn't use much space in upper left part of the viewport as that piece is shown for all screen resolutions. The upper left part of the viewport is the anchore. Larger viewports will expand the view only to the bottom and to the right. Thus choose the upper left corner of what you show in the upper left part of the map.
* Try with different base sets; it should look appealing regardless of which is used; this might exclude toyland.
* Try to keep the number of simultanious sound effects down. E.g. try to reduce the number of level crossings, but for example keep one or two to show the difference between block and path signals on level crossings.
* And ofcourse the savegame MUST be compatible with clean trunk, so no savegames made by YACD, ChillPP, Hardpack, daylength, or other patched versions are allowed.
* Do not use AIs; they might be missing for clients. What you can do is make a multi-company game by means of multiplayer.
* Do not use any NewGRFs; NewGRFs can't be loaded in the intro game because that might crash OpenTTD when they are not found among with some coding reasons.
* Do not use a Game script

When adding a title game candidate to this thread, please add a screenshot too. Better create one excellent savegame than several mediocre ones :-).

Please also only one savegame per posting :-) and it'd be nice, if you could just remove old versions or edit the posting with the old savegame and making a completely new posting so that it becomes clear that it is deprecated now - it makes it easier for me to not add deprecated savegames nor miss any.
BlueDeath
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Titlegame for OpenTTD 1.4 series

Post by BlueDeath »

I would like to submit this save for title games (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p1068754).

Unfortunately I promissed to have no games on my computer and to not install any this year. I found the save games some where on the disk but haven't any screenshots. They will be added later.

Have fun!
Attachments
Vorwald Transport, 9. Jun 2016.sav
(209.66 KiB) Downloaded 859 times
Vinnie_nl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vinnie_nl »

Oke the updated complete version is here. the savegame and a rar with screenshots of 2 resolutions 800x600 in both graphic versions and 1280x960.
Attachments
1.4 Title Vinnie.sav
(37.95 KiB) Downloaded 964 times
Screens OpenTTD title 1.4 Vinnie.rar
(4.34 MiB) Downloaded 1122 times
Last edited by Vinnie_nl on 15 Dec 2013 10:06, edited 2 times in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Vinnie_nl wrote:Sneaky preview with an attempt to claim first post
You're aware that smaller screens than yours don't show the centre piece of yours, but the upper left corner?
Attachments
800x600.png
800x600.png (129.72 KiB) Viewed 26869 times
RBC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RBC »

This is my personal titlegame for a while now. But it's christmas, so I like to share it with you ;)

Screens:
800x600
800x600
800x600
800x600.png (172.89 KiB) Viewed 26552 times
1920x1200
1920x1200.png
1920x1200
(718.08 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
EDIT: tried to show screenshots directly, figured out it shows only when smaller or equal than 800x600
UPDATE: new Version (Fr Dez 20, 2013 4:09 pm) - canals and one-way-roads included + small improvements
Attachments
titlegame9.sav
(134.73 KiB) Downloaded 906 times
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

I've not reviewed all of the titlegame images (I guess I've seen about 1/4 from the last two or three contests), but I've never noticed anyone use signs anywhere. Are they somewhat discouraged, because they tend to need translation, or just commonly overlooked? Just curious. I can't remember ever seeing land flagged for purchase either.

And in more general terms, I presume the visibility settings are as dictated within the saved titlegame?
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

No, there is some special handling in the transparency/invisibility code that keeps all signs/names from being displayed on the title screen. But as you said, signs would apparently need translation, so I suspect this isn't going to change. Due to the way the title game is handled ( :arrow: you can replace it with a custom one simply by overwriting a file), you can't just hack some special case into the game's translation system to also provide strings for the titlegame signs.
BlueDeath
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BlueDeath »

3298 wrote:No, there is some special handling in the transparency/invisibility code that keeps all signs/names from being displayed on the title screen. But as you said, signs would apparently need translation, so I suspect this isn't going to change. (...)
That's not true.
Station signs are hidden to increase the visibile "nice" landscape or town. But in general "normal" signs could be used. I am shure to remember that a save of mine showed up with a sign I never exspected to be seen.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

Okay, I checked the source. You are right, the special code to hide texts in the title screen is present in ViewportAddTownNames and ViewportAddStationNames, but it's missing from ViewportAddSigns. It's been a while since I modified that part of OpenTTD, I just remembered a check for the title screen and assumed it applied to all texts. :oops:
But still, they cannot be translated, unlike all the other strings a player sees in the menus. I'm not a dev, so I can't tell you to not use signs, but I wouldn't place them into a title game myself. Maybe a word from a dev ... ?

On the topic of transparencies:
Simons Mith wrote:And in more general terms, I presume the visibility settings are as dictated within the saved titlegame?
They are not saved in the savegame, but in the config only. There is some more code in IsTransparencySet and IsInvisibilitySet ensuring that the titlegame is not affected by the player's transparencies. No need to set buildings, bridges etc. to opaque before uploading a titlegame here. :wink:
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

@3298 Oh yes, now you mention the 'Viewport' functions you remind me of something similar in the breakdown code. Breakdowns were also specifically hard coded as 'off' for the title game as well, when I looked 2-3 years ago.

Still, signs that don't need translation should be OK. I see no reason you couldn't do things like label tracks 'A1', 'A2', 'B1', 'B2' or '0U20' and the like.

Agh, I'm spending too long on G+ and Reddit. I keep looking for a +1 button or equivalent to flag or acknowledge helpful posts...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

BlueDeath wrote:
3298 wrote:No, there is some special handling in the transparency/invisibility code that keeps all signs/names from being displayed on the title screen. But as you said, signs would apparently need translation, so I suspect this isn't going to change. (...)
That's not true.
Station signs are hidden to increase the visibile "nice" landscape or town. But in general "normal" signs could be used. I am shure to remember that a save of mine showed up with a sign I never exspected to be seen.
Signs are an interesting question. Yet besides station or town names I see few signs which would not need a translation one way or another. And there may be woes with respect to fonts if the chosen sign's characters would require another font than is needed to display the UI elements in the user's language. Consider different alphabets, e.g. consider latin, cyrillic, chinese, korean, kanji, farsi,.. just to name a few.

So the preferred course of action will be to not use signs on the titlegames :)
skyem123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skyem123 »

Here is my titlegame and a screenshot of it.
Attachments
skyem123's Titlegame.png
Screenshot
(699.49 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
opntitle.dat
My title game
(50.35 KiB) Downloaded 1070 times
Plasma_Wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Plasma_Wolf »

I'm working on a Title Game commision now and there is one problem I'm having. Last time, I had managed to put several different companies in the game, but I don't remember how I did that. I thought it had to do with some manipulation in the scenario editor, but I can't find it. I do know that I didn't do it with any multiplayer setup. Could anyone help me out?

EDIT: I just found out how to do it: start a server, allow a maximum number of players (more than one), then join in on a second OpenTTD program, which will allow you to start as a second, and then third and then fourth company. Save the game so that you keep having more than one company.

By the way: Merry Christmas!
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

You don't need to start a second client. Just start OpenTTD as (non-dedicated) server. In the company dropdown menu you can also choose "join spectators" and "new company". The company/president windows also have a "join" button.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
Nikit0dZZZa_BLR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nikit0dZZZa_BLR »

I knew that there will be competition for titlegame.
Translated by google translator [Rus-Eng].
Attachments
opntitle_r26151_by_Nikit0dZZZa_BLR.sav
Savegame. Version r26151.
(365.66 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
Wrintbourne Bridge Transport, 11.10.2155.png
Screenshot #1
(688.45 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Wrintbourne Bridge Transport%2C 11.10.2155.png
(635.2 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by Nikit0dZZZa_BLR on 29 Dec 2013 17:52, edited 2 times in total.
Burn Stains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Burn Stains »

Are the Advance Options all default for the title screen game?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Burn Stains wrote:Are the Advance Options all default for the title screen game?
you can choose the game, map creation and advanced options as you like. Just mind that breakdowns will be disabled regardless what you choose and no NewGRFs and scripts allowed.
Nikit0dZZZa_BLR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nikit0dZZZa_BLR »

Version 2 broken, version 3.
Attachments
opntitle v3.sav
Normal save
(256.55 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
Lunford Transport, 20.02.2198.png
(611.05 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Lunford Transport%2C 20.02.2198.png
(529.88 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by Nikit0dZZZa_BLR on 29 Dec 2013 17:50, edited 2 times in total.
AzureDragon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AzureDragon »

It's example of my multitrain system. where trains with main rail system can connect lots of positions in any place of map, i was just too lazy to connect everyone resource and farbric in map, so i show only basic example
Attachments
Drendinghall Transport, 26 Gruo 2052.sav
(525.52 KiB) Downloaded 1044 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Drendinghall Transport, 2053-01-30.png
Drendinghall Transport, 2053-01-30.png (90.05 KiB) Viewed 25552 times
Has a lot of green forest, and very few details, for a title game

Return to “General OpenTTD”