German road vehicle set [WIP, first version released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: German road vehicle set [WIP, first version released]

Post by kamnet »

I tested it, and there doesn't appear to be any conflicts with either 0.23 or 0.3 alpha 11. No warning messages, costs and maintenance appear to be consistent across the several versions of OpenTTD I tested, both with and without other sets loaded. This also happens in 0.23 whether or not I set the parameter flag. Version 0.3 doesn't let me set a parameter at all.

The documentation, though, said that purchase costs for some of the buses should be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to be realistic, but in 2000 I didn't notice any buses more expensive than $72,000. Could this be a bug, or were the costs never set that high to begin with?
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

kamnet wrote:I tested it, and there doesn't appear to be any conflicts with either 0.23 or 0.3 alpha 11. No warning messages, costs and maintenance appear to be consistent across the several versions of OpenTTD I tested, both with and without other sets loaded. This also happens in 0.23 whether or not I set the parameter flag. Version 0.3 doesn't let me set a parameter at all.
Ok, thanks for the info. I have to review the code to actually say what the supposed behavior would be, I haven't touched on that part in ages.
kamnet wrote:The documentation, though, said that purchase costs for some of the buses should be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to be realistic, but in 2000 I didn't notice any buses more expensive than $72,000. Could this be a bug, or were the costs never set that high to begin with?
Do you have inflation turned on in your game? The prices are modeled in such a way that realistic prices for modern buses should be well above 100k EUR, but only with inflation being turned on.

Regards,
Uwe
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Uwe wrote:but only with inflation being turned on.
What starting year do you have in mind? Inflation starts at the year the map is created and runs 170 years. Thus inflation will inflate prices of vehicles in the year 2000 much differently when the map is started in 1900 than when it is started in 1920 or 1950 (where 1950 is OpenTTD default starting year, mind that)
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

The costs are calculated based on the starting year 1920. It'd be interesting to see the results of using other starting years, and how that would affect playability. I guess that will be something I'll have to look into agan at some point.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Good point. No, I did not have inflation on, and I started in year 2000. I'll give it a shot with inflation on next time I'm near my game.
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

You know how long I wanted to report this bug, but I keep forgetting :lol:

The Mercedes-Benz Capa-city is missing 2 axles. The bus should have 2 axles, 1 front and back like usual, and the trailer has 2 axles in the middle instead of the usual 1 since it is longer than other articulated busses.

Like this:

Code: Select all

-o-------o-//---oo---
Attachments
MB capacity bug.PNG
MB capacity bug.PNG (47.93 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
Tschüß!
dab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dab »

I used the variant in the attachment as reference - so the wheels are there, but they are covered.
Attachments
mercedes-benz-capacity-01.jpg
mercedes-benz-capacity-01.jpg (139.73 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

Back when the CapaCity was drawn it was brand new and not in use anywhere, so we used the demonstration livery. By now it is in use in several cities, so a second set of sprites with 2CC (and without wheel covers) should be added, I'll put that on the todo list.

On a related note, I released a new alpha version with the two dumper versions of the MB Actros, so now the Actros family is complete.
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Well I guess it'd be useful to take a screenshot of the vehicles in this set and post it here for the dear people who feel the need to see what they are in for :D I count 9 trucks, 9 trucks!
33 busses, 9 trucks, and 18 trams (3 cargo trams) I finally figure out to get these large images onto the forum :D :D
Tschüß!
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Pretty big set. Trucks gradually add to it. Cool :D .

Waiting for the release of new versions German road vehicle set :)
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

I might not be making as much sprites as I usually do, but here is Daniel's MAN TGX. It is still a work in progress for the cabs, I made a 2cc version of his TGX cab and it has bigger windows so it wouldn't differ too much from the other truck(s) in it's era, the Actros II.

Daniel provided box trailer and the dumper, I just added other basic trailers so it could be playable for now. The autotransporter, crane/bed truck and whatever is missing will be drawn soon :D Most of the work was copy and paste from the Actros sprites, just lengthened and some were edited. I also made a flatbed which can carry forklifts, which would be as goods in default or machines in ECS/FIRS. They are in the pink recolouring like the containers and I'll do colour them blue, green as well.

But right now the priority is default cargoes, I only need to draw steel.
Attachments
I put the Trailer sprites are in some awful sized templates :(
I put the Trailer sprites are in some awful sized templates :(
MANTGA.PNG (65.81 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Tschüß!
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

And also if you'd like to see progress on the big, bad, TGA XXL well here you go. I painted the bumper red and white like they usually are, maybe you'd like a different colour, just say. Now the main issue is making trailers. I know of 2 kinds of trailers it usually pulls, a heavy bed trailer that is higher at each end for the trailer wheels and the other for where the lorry connects, I've made an attempt at it below. But then there is also the normal flatbed which is only higher at where the lorry connects , and has many wheels to support even heavier loads.

It exists in Germany, don't worry :lol: I think it would be easier for me to draw the latter, since as you can see the one with low bed in the middle I've drawn here looks kind of stinky.
Attachments
MAN TGA XXL.PNG
MAN TGA XXL.PNG (7.07 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Tschüß!
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

That looks promising. I have started working on coding the first MAN semitrailer model, but it will take me at least until next week to finish that part I guess, depending on how complicated it will get to properly align all the sprites and how much retouching the sprites will need. I'll probably post a new version once I have very generic version up and running, adding additional sprites for certain cargos later on will be rather easy then.
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

I just released a new alpha version to be downloaded at the usual location. It contains the first version of the MAN TGX semitrailer model. That truck still misses specific graphics for steel, but otherwise it should be pretty functional. Of course some more trailer graphics should still be added to have it roughly comparable to the Actros types concerning variety.
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Don't worry, I will get steel, probably in the form of rods by just recolouring the logs or timber. On a flatbed or a crane-and-bed?

And also, unlike or like the Actros, do semitrailers have a crane on them too, or is it just a normal fenced off bed without crane? ?(
Tschüß!
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

There is a new alpha version available, with the only change being that the MAN TGX now has a graphical refit for steel loads.

@Hans: The typical semitrailer will not have an extra crane on it, probably due to weight distribution and operability of such a crane.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

A bug report for the MAN TGX:

The loading capacity is unexpected different.

- coal: 24 tons
- iron ore, wood, grain, steel: 8 tons
- oil: 8 m³
- mail: 32 bags
- goods: 16 crates
- livestock: 43 items
- valuables: 64 bags

Additionally there is a big gap between the traction engine and the semitrailer in the vehicle detail and the refit window.
MAN-TGX.png
MAN-TGX.png (29.91 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
*btw* Is the capacity of 52 passengers for the Adtrans GT8N2 intended? The capacity seems to small to me.

Tschö, Auge
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

Auge wrote:A bug report for the MAN TGX:

The loading capacity is unexpected different.
I'll take a look into it, my first guess would be a problem between initial capacity and refitted capacities. The actual capacities for that model have not been coded yet, so this will definitely change anyway.
Auge wrote:Additionally there is a big gap between the traction engine and the semitrailer in the vehicle detail and the refit window.
The problem is that the sprites would have to overlap in order to make it look good in the window. But that would probably make the vehicle look very awkward upon turning on the road, so I doubt that this can be fixed.
Auge wrote:*btw* Is the capacity of 52 passengers for the Adtrans GT8N2 intended? The capacity seems to small to me.
Intended capacity is 208, which is four (number of cars) 52. I'll check what happened there.

Regards,
Uwe
juzza1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by juzza1 »

Uwe wrote:The problem is that the sprites would have to overlap in order to make it look good in the window. But that would probably make the vehicle look very awkward upon turning on the road, so I doubt that this can be fixed.
You can use different sprites for all of the GUI elements. See http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NM ... tes_in_GUI
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Apologies for not making anything for a very long time :cry:

I downloaded the latest, the steel tubes/pipes are very nice and I like that it differs from the Actros sprites :D

Anyways, I've done most of the extra sprites for the MAN trailers below. It has the other chemical tanker, crane and bed trailer, and a waste trailer. The waste trailer is simply a dumper covered on top so no one smells what's inside :mrgreen: It is intended for the extended cargoes, but it also looks fine as a goods carrier in default.

Now I made a white background so you can copy and paste the trailers onto your own template since I don't have them (I use Paint, so I just make the background transparent as white)
Attachments
TGXnewtrailers.PNG
TGXnewtrailers.PNG (10.39 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
Tschüß!

Return to “Graphics Development”