The Best, "Must Have" OpenTTD Mods! - Discusion

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

The Best, "Must Have" OpenTTD Mods! - Discusion

Post by DC-1 »

I suggest a "mod" for the forum to provide feature to like posts. :D
kamnet

Re: The Best, "Must Have" OpenTTD Mods!

Post by kamnet »

Having recently started to participate in the Reddit OpenTTD community, I've found that even more new players there ask the question about best/must-have mods than the do here. So, I took some time to make my suggestions, which I'm copying here.

-----

I wouldn't say that there are any "must have" modifications. Plain OpenTTD by itself is very robust, although if there is a "must have" at this point, I would skip the stable version 1.3.2 and download a nightly instead, which has introduced the new Cargo Distribution (cargodist) patch. It radically improves distribution of passengers, mail and goods. It will move into stable OpenTTD probably in the 1.4.x version. But, still, good play can be had (and has been had since 2006) with the non-CD version.

Most NewGRFs have no problem operating with each other, and typically the few that do not expressly note which ones don't work with each other, if not going out of their way to disable themselves automatically. The only major issue you might have is that NewGRFs of the same type aren't balanced against each other. For example, trains from one set might be insanely expensive compared to trains from another site. Newer versions of NewGRFs are starting to provide options for better balancing, either through auto-detecting other sets or allowing you to modify the costs via parameter settings.

Here's my rundown for most popular NewGRFs.

INDUSTRY: It's pretty much either FIRS or ECS Vectors. Pikkabird's PBI/UKRS Industries is a distant third, but it's getting a major revamp in the near future. If you like the standard industries but want it tweaked just a little more, look at OpenGFX+ Industries.

PLANES: The most popular is Aviators Plane Set (AV8), second would be the never-finished-always-updating World Airliners Set (WAS). Both are compatible with all available industry sets. There's a few other small sets out there as well, mostly just eyecandy though.

SHIPS: NewShips is one of the oldest and most popular, and was recently updated to work with FIRS. FISH is becoming just as popular, and is developed by the same person who created FIRS, but it works with all the other industry sets as well. There's a ferry set and an old sailing ships set as well which are also compatible.

TRAINS: Most popular is probably 2CC Trains of the World, which isn't 100% complete but is pretty broad in the variety and time frame. The costs can be expensive, but you can modify them in parameters. UK Revival Set (UKRS) v2 is extremely vast in time scale and variety, and that's before you use the expanded Add-On set. There's also North American Revival Set (NARS) v2 and Canadian Trains for more North American flavor. The latter three share common developers and are fairly balanced against each other because of that. There are lots of train NewGRFs for regional action too: Germany, France, Netherlands, Finland, Spain, Australia, South America, Japan. Also, if you're happy with the default trains but want to see some technical and performance improvements, there's OpenGFX+ Trains. With the exception of NARS2, most should be compatible with all industry sets. Because of its age, I don't remember if NARS2 is compatible with FIRS, but you can combine it with another set to get some compatible rail cars that you can attach. I'd suggest Canadian Trains since they offer similar styles, but you might get a lot of repetition for engines. If that doesn't work for you, then I'd suggest OpenGFX+ Trains.

ROAD VEHICLES: eGRVTS is probably the most popular set. For more variety, check out HEQS and George's Long Vehicles. Lots of smaller sets as well, and some regional variety sets. There's also an OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles set that improves the default vehicles, including adding ECS & FIRS compatibility (thus you don't need to download ECS & FIRS Original Vehicles). The others should be up-to-date with industry compatibility.

AIRPORTS: Right now I'd only suggest OpenGFX+ Airports, which improves the default airports by adding 4-direction rotation. There are a few other sets which simply change the style of graphics, but because of changes in OpenTTD code, they're glitchy and/or broken, and don't have anybody to take care of them. I'm actually working with Planetmaker on improving and importing the graphics for most of these sets into OpenGFX+ Airports and expanding the set.

STATIONS: I can't really suggest one is any more popular than the other. Most station sets are designed around a region (Canadian Stations, Dutch Stations, British Stations, etc.). Industrial Station Renewal, the older Industrial Stations, and DWE Industry station sets all are focused on industrial themes. CHIPS and VAST are fairly popular as well.

With the exception of industry changes, none of these NewGRFs give you any sort of significant improvement other than visual and aesthetics. They're all just a change of pace from the vanilla. The REAL game changers come with competitive AI players (none I'd recommend over the other) and GameScripts, which give you new goals and challenges (again, none I'd recommend over others). Any single one of these will get you to up your game a bit, and almost all of them can be mixed and matched to get a really complex and competitive game. Or, you could go the opposite way and find AIs that serve exclusive tasks (like servicing only mail, only passengers trains, only airlines, only buses) and build your own cooperative game.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

I think this thread deserves a sticky...
Or it could go to the wiki in some form.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

The most popular ship set is more likely to be "Very large ships", based on available evidence.

UKRS is probably about twice as popular as 2CC train set, judging by available evidence.

I don't understand the evidence for your claims.
Tafidis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tafidis »

Awesome guide, should be stickied/moved to wiki/both. I believe new players/members will find the information extremely valuable.

Wrt the list, I think you should rename it to "my personal favourite list" because "most popular" is rather subject to debate (number of downloads on bananas/other source?, activity in graphics forum? Incorporated in online servers? how do you know?). However, the list is still good for new people who may be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of NewGRFs on bananas and wouldn't know where to start.

If I would make such a list I would definitely name DBset, if only for having been around so long, I think the first "full-size" newgrf file that made such a big impact since the TTDPatch days. And who's to deny it is still one of the most popular, judging by how many players have a copy of it somewhere on their computer?
Citizens Celebrate! First train arrives in <insert your favourite town/station name here>!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

kamnet wrote:you can install more than one AI, but there is no guarantee that they will work together with each other, or with any NewGRF or other modification to the game, and again one should fully learn about what an AI is capable of before installing and activating it in a game.
I'm not quite agreeing with this paragraph. different AIs have absolutely no trouble getting along with each other, you rather get problems if you have two of the same AI running simultaneously, as they too often try to do the same things, and constantly get in each other's way
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Surely they can still be called 'mods' as they modify the game in some description. It's silly to expect a new person to instantly pull the three letters GRF out of no where...

Also, I think UKRS is probably the most used set of trains outside the default. Although I still wish Pikkabird would add Pacers :p
Last edited by Redirect Left on 02 Nov 2013 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Make this a sticky !!! At last someone ranted about it !!!! :mrgreen: :lol:

That being said, here's my most used, or recommended, NewGRFs :

Trains :
  • UKRS2 - provides a quite large range of UK's historically correct, as well as current trains. The thing that makes me attracted to it - it's finescaled.
  • Dutch Trainset 2 - provides a lot of Dutch historically correct, and current, trains and stocks. It also covers almost all european trains - I use thsi when playing an european-themed game.
  • NARS2 - drawn by the same artist of UKRS2, NARS2 is just the same with that (it's not finescaled, through - it's older than UKRS2), instead this one contains enough north american trains, hitorical and the current ones.
  • Others that I used : DBSetXL (find it over the .net, not in BaNaNaS as I remembered), Swedish trains, MAV set (is it ?)
Road Vehicles :
  • eGRVTS 2 - contains a lot of road vehicles. Just use it, you'll found their use in game.
  • HEQS - contains industrial trams, forklifts, dump truck...
  • I kinda forgot - is it Ikarus set ? Contains a lot of Ikarus buses, properly made (actually articulated things), also safer to small childrens compared to Long Vehicle's buses. :mrgreen:
  • Many others - Dutch tram set, Bob's British Buses and it's other versions, NARVS... just try what you found and continue to use what you like :wink:
Rail / Road graphics-changing GRFs :
  • Pikka's Finescale Tracks - Just superb, finescaled. Might be too bluish for your likings through...
  • NuTracks - Mighty old thing. Fairly complete with slower and faster tracks. Not finescaled yet...
  • This is actually leaked by romazoon ISA in an accident : Japan Set Track 3. Just like a finescaled version of NuTracks. Also includes city tracks, with concrete base instead of grass. Superb too. Note you that it's not available anywhere, unless it's already officially released !
  • Dutch Trackset - Use this with Dutch Trainset 2.
  • Swedish Rails - good tracks, snow covered when over snow line as well !
  • For signals and catenary, I suggest Dutch Signals and Dutch Catenary - somewhat finescaled I think.
  • UK Roads - obviously they're asphalted, dude. If you want a darker roads use this thing.
  • AARS - with road shoulders on side. Superb if you want to create a single carriage highway. Don't forget it's older brother, North American Road (seems to be also abbreviated as NARS).
  • FooBar's Tram Tracks - make your tram tracks better with this thing. Obviously no black lines framing the rails.
  • I don't really use other things but just try any other that you found. Many use FRISS. Also czech roads.
Airplanes - for this one I can be vocal - av8.
Mind you there're also WAS and George's ye olde Planeset.

Ships - FISH and Sailing Ships. There's also New Ships which I used for a while.

Airports - OpenGFX + Airports, or Combined Airport Set. Mostly the first than the latter.

Industries : only two obvious choice, ECS Vectors or FIRS. I rarely use them, but if you want the standard industries in a different manner, use OpenGFX+Industries and modify the supply chain in a way you like, if it's supported.

Stations :
  • ISR
  • CHIPS
  • Rural, Suburban, City Stations (the last is wrongly named on BaNaNaS, I forgot is it fixed yet)
  • NewStations (find it over the forum, not on BaNaNaS)
  • Dutch Stations and Dutch Stations Addition
  • VAST
  • (to some extent) DWE
  • There're many others - don't be afraid to try things and flock your computer with NewGRFs ! :mrgreen:
Objects :

I afraid to talk about them - too many if I say all of them one by one !

I rarely use GS or AIs anymore, AIs looks silly. I no longer use a patch, as CargoDist is now integrated into trunk.

That's all !
Last edited by YNM on 03 Nov 2013 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Damn, you guys forgot about Building Sets:

Total Town Replacement Set: Provides a plethora of great imaginary buildings painted by Zimmlock

Swedish Houses Set: One of my favourite sets to play with. It features IMPRESSIVE realistic buildings based on Swedish buildings, but you can use them at any European-themed games.

North American City Set: Another JAWBREAKING building set based on the Art Deco-style skyscrapers of North America

Japanese Building Set: A popular building set different to the others but something to use to make a East Asian-based game with high population density to make a dense network of urban rail.

and in a few years time:

INFRA buildings: The mother of all bombs. This is the ULTIMATE building set. Head over to Simuscape to see their progress
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

YNM wrote:This is actually leaked by romazoon in an accident : Japan Set Track 3.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

what do you mean leaked ? you must have made an error on the person or you must be mistaken.... or i lost memory of this happening.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Instead of posting long lists here which will grow old and which can only be editable by their original authors (if at all) - we had that before. I'd rather suggest to put the effort in the wiki: extend, update and merge the NewGRF lists in our wiki:

https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/NewGRF_List
https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/NewGRF_Sets
and if desired for more detailed information separate pages like https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/UK_Renewal_Set could be created.

The overview in my very personal opinion could be more tabular and verbose (more like https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/NewGRF_Sets ), indicate with icons in separate columns whether the NewGRF is available from online content, on grfcrawler, the forum thread and their homepage, indicate version the info refers to, include a screenshot snippet, maybe years covered (if applicable) ...
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

romazoon wrote:
YNM wrote:This is actually leaked by romazoon in an accident : Japan Set Track 3.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

what do you mean leaked ? you must have made an error on the person or you must be mistaken.... or i lost memory of this happening.

Should I take the blame? I have shown some pictures where I use it...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Well, either ISA or romazoon... seems to be ISA (as of I remembered romazoon never used that GRF, but the language style on the post was somewhat mimicking romazoon)

But trust me, I never leaks that to other people after that.

Regarding Houses or Buildings, I have to add that these are what I use :
  • TaI - Superb, just that !
  • Polish Building set - they replace the original buildings, so the effects are noticeable quickly.
  • UK Town Set - want a real life alike '80s skyscraper ? Use this, not so futuristic.
  • Japan Set Buildings - what you expect from that country ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

planetmaker wrote:Instead of posting long lists here which will grow old and which can only be editable by their original authors (if at all) - we had that before. I'd rather suggest to put the effort in the wiki: extend, update and merge the NewGRF lists in our wiki:

https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/NewGRF_List
https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/NewGRF_Sets
and if desired for more detailed information separate pages like https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/UK_Renewal_Set could be created.

The overview in my very personal opinion could be more tabular and verbose (more like https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/NewGRF_Sets ), indicate with icons in separate columns whether the NewGRF is available from online content, on grfcrawler, the forum thread and their homepage, indicate version the info refers to, include a screenshot snippet, maybe years covered (if applicable) ...
I agree with it belonging on the wiki. I am going to sticky this for a week and then a new sticky pointing to the wiki article that results can be made.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

YNM wrote:But trust me, I never leaks that to other people after that.
Am I understanding You correctly that You wouldn't do that if You have some stuff what's in the development?
If thats the case I had the permission to show the screenshots in my thread... I asked the permision myself to be clear!

To be clear!
The actual conversation!
dandan wrote:
ISA wrote:
dandan wrote:Please do not distribute.
Wanted to ask if You also mean screenshots under that sentence?
Good point! I know from your thread that you make very good screenshots.
I'm in the middle of writing a detailed pdf guide for the Japan Set and it still lacks screenshots. So here is a suggestion: You can post whatever screenshots you like, but I may use them for our readme. Agreed?
The time when that conversation took place I keep in my own knowledge, as I dont want to rise hope that there would be release coming soon...
WWTBAM

Re: The Best, "Must Have" OpenTTD Mods! - Discusion

Post by WWTBAM »

I have split all these posts off from kamnet's thread as per his request that suggestions be sent to him in PM.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm completely enthralled that the entire post was read. Especially the last paragraph. Good job, dudes! :twisted:

Anyhow, to answer some questions:
andythenorth wrote:I don't understand the evidence for your claims.
It's purely based on my observation of what NewGRFs people are using and talking about. I did not attempt to take any quantitative measure based on downloads, since there's too many sources to judge from, nor can you tell this based simply on download numbers. I also attempted to make it clear several times that this list is merely my personal opinion. It is well known that people will download many NewGRFs simply to have them, and may never actually play them. They may also download them multiple times, either to multiple PCs, or because they've lost their data and need to start over. As for some of the NewGRFs that have been pointed out, keep in mind that many of them are quite old, so they have a long download history. But, are they still truly popular today in light of newer, more up-to-date projects? If somebody wants to put in the work to determine what is currently popular, using weekly/monthly/quarterly download statistics, and keep that updated here, I wouldn't mind that.
Tafidis wrote:Awesome guide, should be stickied/moved to wiki/both. I believe new players/members will find the information extremely valuable.
I wouldn't mind it being copied to the wiki, but my preference is for it to remain here as a reference to those who post this question in the forums.
Tafidis wrote:Wrt the list, I think you should rename it to "my personal favourite list" because "most popular" is rather subject to debate
The title is a gimmick, meant to attract the attention of users who are seeking just that answer, so that they can learn something entirely new both about what they're looking for and the culture/climate of tt-forums. As for the list, I can't call it a "personal favorite" list because most of the NewGRFs I listed are not actually my personal favorite, nor am I advocating for any particular NewGRF in most cases, unless that NewGRF is the only viable ones available (for example, airports). Again, it's simply my observation based on what I've seen in the forums over the years.
Eddi wrote:
kamnet wrote:you can install more than one AI, but there is no guarantee that they will work together with each other, or with any NewGRF or other modification to the game, and again one should fully learn about what an AI is capable of before installing and activating it in a game.
I'm not quite agreeing with this paragraph. different AIs have absolutely no trouble getting along with each other, you rather get problems if you have two of the same AI running simultaneously, as they too often try to do the same things, and constantly get in each other's way
So, in other words, AIs ABSOLUTELY have no trouble getting along, except when multiple instances get in each other's way. Got it. :wink:
Jolteon wrote:Surely they can still be called 'mods' as they modify the game in some description. It's silly to expect a new person to instantly pull the three letters GRF out of no where.
You're right, it is silly to expect that. And, yet, that is the culture, which is why I chose to address it as I did.

By the way, if nobody noticed, we've now stickied the original post, and split the discussion off to its own separate thread. Go nuts!
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

I think that it is worded too strongly. Bad combination of NewGRFs may result in completely broken game, the worst that may happen with AIs is that multiple instances of the same will compete with each other. It is mainly caused by fact that AIs is limited to normal action by player, NewGRFs may change almost anything.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Ripper1776
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ripper1776 »

Thank you for this, I posted a thread about this very topic several days ago, and got an underwhelming response. This should be a great help to newbs like me. :bow:

Return to “General OpenTTD”